mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Bike storage/stand questions

I'm looking for recommendation on storage type stands for a couple of bikes. I have some room in the garage, but in each of the locations it would be best if the bikes were either hanging vertically against the wall side by side or parallel to the wall one above the other.

It seems like the various wall mounted hooks (to hang by the wheel) are cheaper than getting an actual stand, but are there any concerns with hanging a bike like that? And as for the stands, it seems like with each one I look at there are people complaining that they are unstable.

So any recommendations for either type? I'm not really a big time DIYer for this kind of stuff, but I'm fine with putting a screw or two into a stud.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Not a thing wrong with hanging a bike by the rim, just don't do it on the label stuck on the rim, or it will wrinkle. You can also hang by the top tube (assuming you have a normal one) without a problem, though it takes one extra hook per bike.

Don't have to spend big money, either. Large vinyl coated hooks can be had from a big box home improvement store for a few bucks each...Of course, if you want to spring for the DaVinci hooks, they are nice in that they keep the tires off the wall, but presumably, you don't care about that in your garage.

Ride Responsibly
    If you have exposed rafters, just hang the bike by the saddle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If you have the height, just get a bike pulley system to hang them above the garage. Great way to get alot of bike out of the way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah, I've seen some nice pictures around of ceiling storage systems. Unfortunately I don't have exposed rafters and I don't think I really have the height to hang the bikes up there without them then being in the way when simply walking around. I'm leaning toward the wall hooks since that seems to be the most economical way to accomplish what I want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    If you have the height, just get a bike pulley system to hang them above the garage. Great way to get alot of bike out of the way.
    This is what we have in the garage, but it's not super fast to use.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've used Racor vertical bike hooks for years. They are cheap and are great for hanging bikes in the garage or basement. I have never had any damage to the rims or spokes, I do make sure that the hook is not resting directly on the spoke nipples. PIW-1R is the model I have.