Bike creak

Printable View

• 12-19-2012
    cornice6
    Bike creak
    Help me solve my bike creak issue! I have a singlespeed Ti frame with the adjustable paragon sliders. I have pin-pointed the creaking problem coming from the sliders in contact with the frame. It creaks when pedaling seated or standing. A few times I have made it stop creaking by applying a light amount of grease between the two metals but after awhile it comes back again.

Would it help if I put some sort of buffer, washer or insert between the two? I was thinking maybe a thin soda aluminum can or a piece of inner rubber tube cut into shape between the two metals. Any ideas? TIA!
  • 12-19-2012
    textbookonewk
    I would start by taking it all apart and cleaning the frame and sliders very well. Then put them back to gether using some "Ti Prep" or similar on the bolts. There should be no need to grease between the slider and the frame. Be sure to use a torque wrench and tighten to spec.
  • 12-19-2012
    wschruba
    I'd agree with the above course of action. Greasing the slot can't hurt, but greasing the faces parallel with the dropouts means you have to over-torque the bolts to keep the slider from moving in the slot. Feel free to apply a light coat of oil on the knurled locknuts on the hub, as they can click and creak, as well. It won't hurt the QR/axle nuts/dropout, though you will need to slightly increase the torque on the axle nuts/QR.

Did you pinpoint the sound with a mechanic's stethoscope? Bikes are phenomenally good at making a sound from one side appear at the other.
  • 12-19-2012
    customfab
    Send Mark at Paragon Machine Works an email. I know builders have had some creaking issues with his sliders. I seem to remember Mark had a bag of tricks for keeping them silent. He's a pretty good guy and I'm sure he will have a good solution and trouble shooting tips for you
  • 12-20-2012
    cornice6
    Thanks all! Will give it a whirl.
  • 03-18-2013
    cornice6
    So I emailed Mark at Paragon end of Dec last year and explained my creaking issue to him. He did recommend blue locktite on the bolts and anti-seize between the frame and dropouts. I went ahead and did that. It was ok but not fully resolved and after a month or so, the creaking is full on back again. I contacted Mark again and he asked for a picture of my dropouts, which I sent to him immediately. Turns out the slider from my dropouts were not Paragon Machineworks but were made by Lynskey (or at least he thinks they are). Apparently, the tolerance between the frame slot and the aluminum insert has to be held closely, about .002" of an inch. He doesn't think that the Lynskey made drop outs are within those specs. The drop outs came with my Lynskey Pro 29 frame that I bought directly from Lynskey. Mark said even if I use a Paragon Machine slider, if the slot on the frame is too large, it will still creak.

I contacted Lynskey and their solution is for me to buy their fastener kit! The fasteners look identical to what I have on there now. And they won't even send it to me for free. Has anyone with Lynskey slider drop outs has the same issues and if you have used their fastner kit, did it work?
  • 03-19-2013
    Ramjm_2000
    This is very common w/ sliding dropouts made by paragon, lynskey, whoever...kinda the nature of the beast (similar to PF30 BBs). A good freind of mine had this issue on his SS (paragon sliders) and if memory serves he also had to replace hardware and use ti prep. I haven't ridden with him in some time so I can't give you a long term solution. Good luck.