mtbr member

Best Inexpensive External BB bearing puller/press

Looking for some suggestions for an external BB bearing puller/press. Seen the Enduro fork seals model but $120, is a bit steep for me. I've heard FSA made a cheaper one, but could not find it on their website. This is to be used on Shimano/Truvative external BB cups/bearings.

I've used a couple of make-shift tools but would not mind paying a little $ for an tool designed for this specific purpose..

Thanx!!!
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Check out the Shimano tool TL-BB12...it's something like $50.

mtbr member
    Thank you Wheelman. That tool is for BB90 type/style press fit BB. I meant a tool for removing the bearings from the screw into the frame BB cups. Like the BB cups for an XT etc crank sets. Similar to items number 6 and 10 in this drawing:
    http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdo...9830799249.pdf

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Ironman...why not buy new cups?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Ironman...here's a thread for your reference - make sure to read it to the end...enjoy

Best way to press in Enduro bearings?

Pay no mind to us...
    I used a paint can opener and a mallet to get my Shimano external BB bearings out. Took a bit of time and some patience but it worked just fine.

Freezing the bearing and used the old bearings as a press into the cup worked just fine for the replacements (Enduro).

I have the Hope hub collet but the lip on the Shimano bearing would not allow me to use this tool, should work with the Enduro bearings in the future.

Has anyone used something like this - Mountain (MTN9001) Pilot Bearing Puller : Amazon.com : Automotive

Something like this Neiko 20-Piece Automotive Bushing Bearing Driver Tool Set : Amazon.com : Automotive might work but I'm not sure about the sizing.

Pay no mind to us...
    Something like Neiko Tools USA Bearing Race and Seal Driver Set - Amazon.com for putting in the new bearings should work I would think.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I've used the Race Face Tool and the Phil Wood Tool......both are good tools. The RF tools is good if you do not have a press. It's made out of steel so durability is good. The Phil Wood tool requires you to have a vise or harbor press. It's a simple tools that does the job. If you do not change our a lot of bearing and are not a tool whore (like me) then it's best to take it to a good LBS.

mtbr member
    Thanks to you all for your input1 I have done several before and used some of the ideas expressed here (heat cups/freeze bearings; making a bearing press with all thread rods; etc.). I was just looking for new fresh ideas out there, and seeing if anyone had used any of the less $$ tools available, like the Race face or FSA BB cup bearing tools.
    THANX again all!! Gonna try a few newer ideas!

Just hit it with speed

I have used this to remove

Check out: Blind Hole Bearing Puller - Needle Bearing Puller

With a 20% off coupon, it's not bad.

I have personal experience with this and used it on about 10 bearing replacement jobs. I am still looking for a good bearing press (cheap option of course cause that's how I roll).
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Anyone have experience with the wheels manufacturing bearing puller? I have been trying to use the darn thing. I tighten the collet in place TIGHT, and still seem to punch the tool out the other end, but bearing stays in place. Is this just operator error?