burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009

Best Beginner tool kit for $50?

I'm looking to get someone else a really basic set of tools for $50 or so (so not Park). I have a basic set I got for ~$40 10-12 years ago and I still use a couple of the things from it pretty regularly.

Anyone have recommendations for the best bang for the buck? Anything you'd stay away from?
    Ride to Work, Work to Live, Live to Ride
    Blog: Daddy Rides Bikes

mtbr member
    Anything around $50 is going to be like this Sette kit on pricepoint.com

Sette ST-21 Tool Kit

It's going to have all of your basic tools in it, nothing special, but will get the job done for the basic maintenance/beginner mechanic. It shows that it's on sale right now, too. I have no personal experience with Sette or similar tool kits, but I've heard good things about them from coworkers and customers.

For basic maintenance I would also suggest these:

Your LBS should have the socket 3-way for only a couple bucks. I'd suggest going with a Park or similar quality hex 3-way, though. I use these tools at work and at home all the time.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

Wanderer
    Yup, get that Sette toolkit.

Years ago I got a similar one from Nashbar I believe and still have most of the original tools in my bike toolbox along with all the other misc stuff I have added to it thru the years.

AZ
    banned
    Buy specific tools as the need arises. 3 way hex wrench, chain breaker, chain whip, cassette lock ring tool etc. That way you don't get saddled down with tools you don't need and can spread the cost over several purchases. Also have a look at the "Homemade tools" thread that is in here somewhere.

mtbr member
    I was going to mention that, AZ, but he mentioned getting it for someone, which I was assuming as a Christmas gift.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I was going to mention that, AZ, but he mentioned getting it for someone, which I was assuming as a Christmas gift.
    Yes, this.

I already have my own set of tools (not totally complete, but I'm in the stage of buying things one at a time as the need arises now). I started with a basic set kinda like the Sette sasquatch mentioned above (which I'll probably end up getting). I was more trying to figure out if that type of thing was still the best deal, or if anyone had any really good/bad experiences with a particular brand recently.

mtbr member
    My wife got me that Sette kit probably 8 years ago and it appears to be unchanged and I use many of the same tools to this day. The headset wrench will probably go unused, but you never know. The worst in the set is the spoke wrench, I don't think I used it more than once before buying the Park. I also had to replace the crank puller at some point and I don't remember why, but most new bikes won't need the tool anyways. After getting this set and supplementing it a bit I've taken my bike to a shop for repairs maybe twice in the last 6 or 7 years.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    SoCalAl - Thanks, glad to hear that since I got the Sette!

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Joina View Post
    If you are looking for cheap basic tool kit set just visit newegg store to get your desire tool kit at reasonable prices.
    I think he already bought it since it was a Christmas gift but interesting nonetheless.

Newegg has this one sold by Tomtop which is a Chinese knock off seller.
    Newegg.com - ROSWHEEL Bike Bicycle Repairing Tool Set Kit Case Box Universal for Mountain Road Bicycle 44 in 1

By the time you buy the Sette kit it ends up being the same price.
    I am sure the Sette kit is a little nicer but the Roswell has more in it (I know more sometimes just means filler junk you will never need) Anyone here have the Roswell one though? If so, how is the quality?
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Buy specific tools as the need arises. 3 way hex wrench, chain breaker, chain whip, cassette lock ring tool etc. That way you don't get saddled down with tools you don't need and can spread the cost over several purchases. Also have a look at the "Homemade tools" thread that is in here somewhere.
    This! I bought a $50 tool kit and only used a few tools in it. Had I bought only the tools I needed I would have gotten nicer tools for less money than the whole kit.

mtbr member
    Without question:

Spin Doctor Essential Tool Kit - Tool Kits and Sets

I purchased it and it has already payed for itself in 1 month.

mtbr member
    I had good luck with the Crankbrothers multi tool 19. Adout $30 on Amazon.