mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Bearing service ?

Hello everybody. I'm sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but I'm about to open up a headset bearing to check, clean, and regrease. Owners manual says clean with wd-40 then blow dry. I got no blow dryer or compressed air. My question is, after I spray wd-40 and wipe the bearing the best I can, how long should I let it air dry so the wd-40 doesn't effect the grease or do I really need to ?

Proudly: A Mexican Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsgroovin View Post
    Hello everybody. I'm sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but I'm about to open up a headset bearing to check, clean, and regrease. Owners manual says clean with wd-40 then blow dry. I got no blow dryer or compressed air. My question is, after I spray wd-40 and wipe the bearing the best I can, how long should I let it air dry so the wd-40 doesn't effect the grease or do I really need to ?
    There are no stupid questions.......most of the time haha. We all have to start somewhere. Right?

Are the bearings open or sealed?

If they are open, just take the bearing ring and clean it with WD-40, if you have no better choice. Then rinse it with water and dry it with a rag and let it dry for 5 minutes in the sun. Then regrease the bearings and bearing cup.

This might help.
    Bicycle Repair & Ownership : How to Overhaul a Bike's Headset - YouTube

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey man thanx. The bearings are sealed and can't take em out of the cups. I got the snap rings and the rubber seals off without damaging them, shot wd-40 in em, wiped em out and letting them sit for a while. So far so good. Thanx

The Wiking
    I would not suggest spraying wd40 or any other solvents for that matter on a closed bearing, unless its ruined and your trying to salvage what life it has left, or you wish to ruin it... any ingress of solvent will dissolve some grease in there and make it worse.. replace the bearings, if they are dead..
    with speed, shall technique be conquered

The streets are the sketchiest of trails.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    wd40 is not the great a choice unless you can get the bearing out and make sure it's all cleared.

What I can suggest for the compressed air thing is to go to office depot and buy their 3 pk of canned air for cleaning keyboards and stuff. it will blow out the wd40 when you use it.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Use parts cleaner, it wont/shouldn't leave any residue, then repack with grease

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey guys thanx for responding. The canned air is a great idea. I was very thorough when I wiped the bearings out after I sprayed them. I turned the frame over and let each cup sit upside down to drain for an hour or so. I repacked em with phil wood grease and they feel smooth, better than ever, and make no sound at all, sounded dry before. Owners manual said WD-40 soooo I don't know . I did pull the fork out a bit after the first ride to see if the grease had drained out on the crown race. The reason I set out to regrease em is that they sounded dry and there was black grease on the crown race. The bottom bearing was stiff so I had to work with it, but I got em both spinning really well. I'm thinking I might be checking on them sooner than later because I definitely don't want to ruin them.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    actually, the one thing WD 40 is good for is cleaning bearings. the pressure with the straw allows you to really blast out the old grease and dirt and it leaves little behind but a mild lubricant once dry. Drying out/blowing out with air is good but even if they are a tad moist when you add grease it's not going to destroy the bearings and will usually make the bearings run smoother,... at first. It will shorten the life of the grease so you'll need to clean and re grease more often, but it's better than not doing it at all. You do really want to blow it out after, not just to get the liquid out but to remove the smaller dirt and particles that it has broken free. The can air idea is great, never thought of that.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/