Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Which bearing press tool kit?

New to pressing in bearings I've got external BB, BB30, FS bike, Hadleys, Kings, I9s. Want a tool kit that can cover most anything. Willing to spend extra $ if worth it, only want to buy one time and have kit that can do more. I'm leaning twards the Wheels Manufacturing becuase it looks like it can cover more applications. Wanting opinions and open to other kits. Not really intrested in anything rigged up or home versions. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. I plan on getting a bearing extractor too. I already have the Park headset press.

Wheels Manufacturing:
    Wheels Manufacturing PRESS-1 Large Sealed Bearing Press

what are the long pieces in the WM one. Is that so you can press in bearings into hubs that are deep?

Enduro one:
    Hub Bearing Press from Real World Cycling
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Intrested too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have experience with this - http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-...ring-installer. It works pretty well, but definitely not on the same level as those multi hundred dollar presses.

One thing to keep in mind is that no do-it-all press will compare to a custom kit you could buy for your fs bike, for that specific application. I have found that there is always some creativity (spacer stacks, grinding sockets, hammers) involved with pressing/removing bearings...

mtbr member
    Thanks dullertap. That bocabearings press looks like a pretty good deal for the money. Right now I'm leaning twards the WM press just becuas it looks like it can handle more sizes than the Enduro press and I like the tray that holds the bearing presses and the handle, very organized.

mtbr member
    That WM press is a good shop quality tool, not likely you'll run across an application it can't handle. It's a lot of cash for a home tool but if the money isn't a huge issue I'd go for it.

mtbr member
    Thanks JB Weld. That's what I was thinking too. I plan on adding a blind bearing puller and I think I'd be pretty good for most applications. I found the WM wizard set on Amazon for $282. I think I might order it today.

Amazon.com: Wheels Manufacturing Wizard Bearing Install Tool: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    I know you're not looking for anything Jerry-rigged, but I've had really good luck with my Harbor Freight 8-ton shop press along with misc. blocks of wood, sockets etc, depending on the bearing. $60 on sale a few years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which bearing press tool kit?-dscf3822.jpg  

mtbr member
    Chad , nice man. That s getting yr money s worth out of a tool. Prob won't go that route. Can u get a hub that s laced up in there?

mtbr member
    No, a full (26") wheel won't fit. I just use the caveman method with sockets and a plastic mallet.

mtbr member
    WM Wizard Bearing Press kit ordered for $273 w free ship. Will try and post up some pics and review if I have time. Thanks to all that replied.

mtbr member
    The spacers are "speed spacers" which you can slip over the shaft so you don't have to thread the handle on all the way for narrow presses.

- Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

mtbr member
    The spacers are "speed spacers" which you can slip over the shaft so you don't have to thread the handle on all the way for narrow presses.
    Thanks tomacropod, makes sense now. I could see how those would come in handy.

Bike more, sleep less
    I actually logged in to make this exact same thread, because I'm in the market for a full bearing press kit as well.

I stripped my full suspension bike down and am in the process of rawing it and repainting it. I figured that since I have it apart, might as well replace the bearings on the rear linkage. Took it into my LBS, they said it would cost $60-80 to remove the old ones, and $60-80 to install the new ones, plus cost of the new bearings. I couldn't believe it. I'd rather do it myself anyways, and I like buying new tools, so I figured I might as well buy a nice bearing press kit. The only two legit ones I have come across in my research are the wheels manufacturing one, and the enduro press kit.

I'm thinking I have to go with the enduro kit, because the wheels manufacturing kit doesn't say it installs bearings sizes 608, which are the bearings on my rear linkage. The enduro kit does. I think the threaded rod on the wheels manufacturing kit is to big, because the 608 bearings have a shaft diameter of 8mm

What about extracting the bearings. Do you just buy individual extractors?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    some examples on how to press out the bearings here. .

how do you remove these bearings from DW link

mtbr member
    Went with WM. Lowest I saw the Enduro press was here:

Enduro Hub Bearing Press Tool by Superfly Cycles

Doing it yourself would almost pay for it from what the shop was going to charge you.

mtbr member
    Blind bearing puller. this one looks like it can handle alot of applications, even the 8mm 608 bearing you have, if you can get it with the slide hammer not being in the way of the frame.

Blind Hole Bearing Gear Bushing Puller Remover Tool Set NEW | eBay

Bike more, sleep less
    Thanks for the posts crclawn. I would rather pay the extra money for the wheels manufacturing press kit, but I think the threaded rod is too big for ID of 8mm. There economy press is a 10mm rod, so I'm assuming their set is a 10mm rod. Gonna go with the enduro press kit, and one of the bearing puller kits off of ebay

Real world cycling sells basically the same bearing puller kit, but for $190

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    While I use a bearing puller I don't bother with a bearing press. When I need to install a cartridge bearing I take the old one, remove the inner race, bearings, and cage, tape the outer race to the new bearing's outer race using tape around its circumference, and then carefully tap it in with a hammer. This way I'm only pressing on the outer race and the tape simply gets pushed out of the way during installation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Does the donor bearing ever get stuck in the bearing bore along with the good bearing?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dullertap View Post
    Does the donor bearing ever get stuck in the bearing bore along with the good bearing?
    The only time I've had to worry about that is if the bearing sits down deep inside the bore, and which point I just finish driving it in with a socket.

mtbr member
    No review, too new w pressing.

Can someone tell me what these are for. Came with kit. Made of rubber and 4 screws.

mtbr member
    Also, what are these for? It says frame linkage standoff on them.

mtbr member
    Press and tray, very well organized.

Close up of handle

Speed spacers

Each press cup is marked in white w size of bearing. BB30 bearing (6806) loaded.

Sorry I could not give a review of this kit. Will press in a BB30 pretty soon and maybe some hub bearings in the next couple of months. Hope this helps if you are looking for a press. I really don't think you could go wrong with the Enduro press for a $100 less.

Bike more, sleep less
    Is there a press bit for Bearing # 608?

The site says it isn't included, I just wanna double check with you since you just received your kit

mtbr member
    Is there a press bit for Bearing # 608?
    Does not have it in the kit. I talked to my mechanic and he said they use the Enduro and it covers most of what they need.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast