mtbr member
    Oct 2012

BB7 rotor rubbing vertically

Serviced my MTB BB7s and reinstalled, now I'm getting the rotor rubbing vertically on the brake housing.

Pads are fine, but it's this type of rotor (185mm), and the apex of the spines are just nicking the inside as it rotates.

Any tips? Should I just throw an extra washer on to space it back a bit?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    sounds like you're missing one of the little washer cups that the Avids use... should be a cup and a cone washer both above and below the mount of the caliper
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Plays with tools
    Is it tubing evenly at all of the high spots or just a couple of them? It's possible the rotor is off center a tad. There's nothing in that interface to center the rotor to the hub so it's possible to get it on their eccentricity. Another advantage of center lock I suppose.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks.

Cup-and-cones are in the right place. I checked the manual and confirmed.

It's rubbing evenly, but the more I play around with it, the more I think the wheel might be on its last legs. It's a used bike I picked up, and I suspect it hasn't seen much care in a few years. It's slightly out of true, so I'll try a newer wheel on before blaming the brakes.

mtbr member
    An out of true wheel will have no effect on the brake rotor. If the hub had play in it then I could see the problem you're having happening, but I don't think it would be consistent. Did you put the CPS washers back on the way they were, or did you put them on according to the directions? It's possible that there is some misalignment due to an improper adapter (or something along those lines) that the previous owner overcame by using different washer stacks to compensate.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    similar issue with a bb5 caliper that was missing the cup/swivel things. Ended up using washers, but still had alignment issues. I used lock washers because that's the only ones I had. Don't use lockwashers, they'll move the caliper when you start tightening it down. If it rubs just a little, throw a flat washer under it and go to town. Also, if it's on a rear wheel, make sure you're adapter is facing the right dirrection. That caught me up a couple times too.