mtbr member
    May 2013

BB tool and torque wrench

I bought a new Truvativ Aka 2.1 crankset with GXP BB. I have a old Shimano ISIS tool in my toolbox which can work. However, there is no provision to put a ratchet wrench on the tool, only a 32mm spanner.

I heard it's important to tighten the BB with the right torque amount and I have a 3/8" torque wrench but no way to mount that (beside buying a 32mm socket that i'd rather avoid if I can). I wonder if there are tips to apply the right torque (like turn till tight then turn 1/4 turn more) ? If a torque wrench is mandatory, i'll go to the hardware store to buy the right socket.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Unless you're completely ham-fisted, I would say it's pretty hard to damage a bottom bracket/bottom bracket shell without a huge bar for leverage.

That said, Park makes a (very affordable) tool for use on a 3/8 socket that works on most outboard-style bearings. Enduro Fork Seals and Chris King also make good tools for the same purpose.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Thanks for the info but when I tried to fit the tool, the inside diameter was a bit too small to fit over the spindle of the FSA Exo BB. I'll buy the proper BB tool with a socket for a torque wrench this time so my initial question is now answered myself.

My original BB tool is a Shimano TL-UN52 while the proper one is TL-UN72.

Plays with tools
    You would be surprised how little force 35 ft/lbs is. I make a nice BB socket that's setup to work with a torque wrench, fits nice and snug to keep it from marring your pretty anodized cups as well.

mtbr member
    May 2013

I just bought the proper BB tool (Fitzer) with a socket for a 1/2" ratchet wrench so that's good.