Thread: BB Failure?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

BB Failure?

I posted this in general and didnt have any luck, I have a 4 month old Kona Mahuna and just love the little guy to death, problem is im a clyde (6'4 280) with a BMX background and an entry level bike.

So, I was out doing some local trail riding wednesday and i noticed an odd tick in my pedals, upon further inspection I seen the bottom bracket was loose.

I managed to get the crank off and seen the retainer for the BB was moving within the housing for the BB ( sorry im not up to speed on all the technical terms yet).

Theres a few questions I have,

1: If i buy the little BB removal tool is there a chance the retainers are loose?
    2: Seeing as how I bought the bike in april and the BB is possibly already shot will the LBS warranty this?
    3: Should I just get a better BB and what are some good recomendations (Was looking an Shimano UN55)

mtbr member
    I gather you bought the bike brand new from the dealer? If so, DEFINITELY take it back to them, and yes the BB should be covered by their or by the BB manufacturer. Good luck with that!
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

mtbr member
    Sounds like it should be covered by warranty, take it back and see what they say.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If it's new and loose, that's improper installation. The shop may try to hem and haw, but it is their problem, at least partially.

By the time you notice significant play in any system on a bicycle, chances are good that it is damaged beyond repair, so I would just proceed with replacing it, though it is possible that tightening it up will help/eliminate the issue.

A better bottom bracket is not a bad idea. The cheaper ones have a plastic left cup, which can crack under high pressure. It can be replaced with an aftermarket metal one, or as you said, another bottom bracket (the UN-55 is a good place to start, by the way).