mtbr member
    Mar 2012

BB bearing replacement Raceface x-type doable without all the special tools?

I've searched the forums and have found the tools needed to pull the bearings out (blind puller, didn't want to spend on bike specific tools since these can have multiple uses). I need to know if I can install the bearings without the raceface specific tools. I made a headset press and can fashion one for the cups, just need to know if that's the best way and if i'll be damaging anything.

banned
    Jan 2012
    Can be done, I've pressed the bearings of my HT2 BB in with a headset press.

EDR
    Forgive my ignorance, it's been 4 years since I had an RF Xtype BB. What special tools? Are you referring to a press? If so I just fashioned a DIY one.

I replaced my XType BB bearings with Enduro bearings once. With the Enduro bearings you can throw away the stupid plastic shim (that will likely break upon removal anyway if you are not very careful). The Enduro bearings have smaller ID so they sit directly onto the crank arm spindle and eliminate the need for the shim This also allows for them to use larger ball bearings, both pluses....but I digress.