mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Basic tools to have on the newbie workbench?

My LBS does most of my bike repair, thanks to a lifetime tune-up offering. That being said, I'd like to get some basic tools for some of the simple and intermediate tasks.

I've got the tire and pump thing covered, so let's move to things like wrenches, bike specialty tools, and the like. Also, what can be had from the hardware store (Home Depot) vs. what needs to be a bike specific tool. These are not the tools I would be taking on the trail, unless you specifically say so.

Thanks,

Jake

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    here what I use the most.

general tools
    screwdriver
    set of hex metric wrenches (quality is better)
    13 Piece Metric Ball End Hex Key Set
    15mm wrench (vs "pedal") wrench.
    dremel, cuts cleaner and easier than cable cutter. never gets dull. takes a little longer which totally non issue for non pro mechanic.
    marine grease
    torque wrench
    http://forums.mtbr.com/where-best-deals/harbor-freight-1-4-torque-wrench-$9-99-a-805961.html
    bit set (includes hex bits for your torque wrench)
    100 Piece Security Bit Set
    (zip ties around fork to true your wheel. We’re not builders here, this is fine for keeping your wheels in true enough
    latex/vinyl shop gloves

bike tools:
    bike multitool (includes chain breaker + spoke wrench). I don't think additional chain breaker or spoke wrench necessary for occasional home mechanic. my favorite is: Topeak Hexus II Multi-tool
    cone wrench
    3in1 chain whip + bottom bracket tool
    tube repair kit
    bike pump
    small bike pump for repairs on trail

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    You Wrote:

"3 in1 chain whip + bottom bracket tool"

OK, so I'm not familiar with these at all. Please help.

Jake

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    here what I use the most.

general tools
    screwdriver
    set of hex metric wrenches (quality is better)
    13 Piece Metric Ball End Hex Key Set
    15mm wrench (vs "pedal") wrench.
    dremel, cuts cleaner and easier than cable cutter. never gets dull. takes a little longer which totally non issue for non pro mechanic.
    marine grease
    torque wrench
    http://forums.mtbr.com/where-best-deals/harbor-freight-1-4-torque-wrench-$9-99-a-805961.html
    bit set (includes hex bits for your torque wrench)
    100 Piece Security Bit Set
    (zip ties around fork to true your wheel. We’re not builders here, this is fine for keeping your wheels in true enough
    latex/vinyl shop gloves

bike tools:
    bike multitool (includes chain breaker + spoke wrench). I don't think additional chain breaker or spoke wrench necessary for occasional home mechanic. my favorite is: Topeak Hexus II Multi-tool
    cone wrench
    3in1 chain whip + bottom bracket tool
    tube repair kit
    bike pump
    small bike pump for repairs on trail

Score all this and you won't need for your LBS to do anything other than sell you parts and share some good beer with.

Learning to work on your own your bike is the very best thing you can accomplish. When you're in the backcountry and something goes wrong (and it WILL), only then will you have the confidence and skill-set to rectify the problem and be back on the trail.

Get some tools and learn to work on your own bike. You won't regret the applied efforts.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakey Jake View Post
    You Wrote:

"3 in1 chain whip + bottom bracket tool"

OK, so I'm not familiar with these at all. Please help.

Jake
    A chain whip is to remove your cassette and the bottom bracket tool is for replacing your bottom bracket or gaining access to your bottom bracket bearings. These might be more than you need and could get them later if going there.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    A "y" wrench with a 4,5mm and a T25. Park makes them.
    A set of "L" shaped allen wrenches (metric)
    Park tool cable cutters.
    A set of Torx wrenches
    3/8" socket wrench
    3/8" drive metric hex set. (8mm is the one you'll use most for cranks)
    P2 Philips head screw driver
    Tire levers
    Floor pump
    For that stuff you're looking around $150. Don't buy generic stuff either. Remember that it's your bike and you'll want it to work for ever. Nothing sucks worse than ruining a bolt and spending hours trying to get it out.
    But to work on your bike you'll still need a repair stand. $100 will get you one. From there, the sky's the limit.
    Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    It's hard to beat a good cable cutter for clean and easy cuts. Felco's are the best I've used but a Shimano or Pedros one would last a home mechanic the rest of their lives and probably then some. I'm sure a dremel tool would work too, but unless you already have one I would buy cable cutters.

Also, I'd put a decent work stand near the top of my list.

mtbr member
    If you were to start buying tools, this Park Tools wrench should be one of the first things you get. It pretty much can put together 75% of the bike with that.

Basic tools to have on the newbie workbench?-00-9500-ncl-top.jpg

Everything else is parts specific for your BB (which works for Shimano centerlock rings as well), headset, cranks, cable cutters, chain tools, chain whip and cassette tool. Then you have your basic tools that you already have lying around like plies, wire cutters and a rubber mallet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Agree with everything posted. Some basic tools, screw drivers, crescent wrench, etc.

You need a good quality set of metric L handles (Park/pedros/et al are fine, but so are a nice set from your local hardware store).

Cable cutters

Cassette remover, chain whip are also key bike specific tools you need.

BB tool (IF you have threaded BB).

Buy a decent chain tool as well. I like the Park 3.2.

At least buy a Ritchey Torque key. If you can afford it, buy a decent torque wrench as well.

Pedal wrenches are usually unnecessary, as nearly every pedal has a hex on the back side of the spindle.

Likewise, most people don't need cone wrenches these days (depending on wheels of course).

I use a torx bit set on a ratcheting screw driver for rotor bolts, etc. Those bits get bent and chewed up quickly with use, so I don't like buying T handles with torx ends. I can pop a bit into my torque wrench if I need to worry about the torque spec. Contractors use torx bits on screw guns all the time, so you can buy a big bulk pack at home depot/Lowes for cheap.

mtbr member
    Spin Doctor Essential Tool Kit - Tool Kits and Sets

This is actually a nice way to get started. Although the majority of my tools are Park Tools, I do have some Spin Doctor stuff that works just fine. Tools like for your BB, cassette and chain whip are tools you probably won't use that much, but its definitely nice to have them around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    If you are truly a noob a torque wrench that measures in inch - pounds with corresponding sockets will be invaluable.

All the above suggestions are good but in the old days we used to suggest just buy what you need and were against buying tool kits. Having a cone wrench set in every size is nice but you may only need 2.

I have only a few suggestions; get quality hex and torx keys (park, pedro, bauhaus), low quality ones don't fit quite right and can strip the slot if the bolt is stuck. If getting a bb tool or cassette tool get ones that fit on to a rachet wrench, makes putting it all together so much easier and you can check the torque without doing crowsfoot. calculations. And get a bike stand, the more you can spend the better but even a decent cheap one is better than none. Performance bikes has them set up on the floor and you can demo them all in half hour and figure the features you desire and shop the internet. I am against showrooming but in this case i will make a pass.