mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Bag for carrying gear low in the main triangle?

I'm looking to get some of the weight out of my camelbak. The logical place to keep gear on the bike would be low to keep the CG low, so the main triangle right above the bottom bracket seems most logical. Is there a bag for that spot?

I would be nice to have something that would hold a tube, patch kit, mini pump, a few repair supplies, CO2, multi-tool, etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Cage rocket would also work for carrying tools in the water bottle cage.

Jandd make a frame bag, but it rides fairly high and only suits HT or some FS frames.
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Jandd bag fits my FS Trek EX7 with no problem. Doesnt interfere with the shock or the water bottle!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Some good options. Thanks.

My camelbak was getting so heavy I actually went out the door the other day for a ride, hefted it, figured it had at least the liter I needed for a short ride based on how much it weighs. Couple miles down the trail I draw on it and its completely empty.

I'm thinking with a frame bag for the repair stuff, a seat bag for the 1st aid stuff I'll only have to worry about consumables in the pack.

Category Winner
    You should consider these as an option:

Backcountry Research - Makers of the AWESOME STRAPS

Stick them wherever:

MTBR Disclaimer: I am very slightly associated with Backcountry Research (they sponsor me).

Been using them all over my bike since July 2009. Under the saddle, on the seat tube, on the stem, anywhere you think you wanna try it. Easy peasy storage most anywhere you want it.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Generally, you're better off keeping the weight in your pack instead of on your bike. You'll still be pushing the same amount of weight around, but it's much less noticeable on your back, and keeps the bike light and nimble. I think you'd be better off going through your pack and seeing what you can leave behind, and what you can upgrade for something lighter.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Generally, you're better off keeping the weight in your pack instead of on your bike.
    That's one thing that I think is a personal preference. I've got a few comfortable packs, but if I can get away without using them, I do. As far as a light, nimble bike goes... there are plenty of guys tossing 30-40lb trail/dh bikes around between there legs without too much trouble. I feel like I can maneuver better without 10+lbs strapped to my back.

If there's a lot of hike-a-bike though, I don't mind having the weight on my back so much while I'm constantly lifting my bike over stuff on a climb.

Doh, I should add that I'm almost always on a single speed, which means climbs are mostly done standing... this might be part of my desire to not have weight on my back.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Generally, you're better off keeping the weight in your pack instead of on your bike.
    I can't say I totally disagree, but my experience is different. I remember forgetting my hydration pack once. I threw on a water bottle, which I don't usually carry, and off I went. I was amazed at how nice it was getting the weight off my back. I didn't even notice the weight of the water bottle on my bike. I think the reason is you are constantly carrying and shifting the weight of your pack on your back, but the weight of the bike and whatever is on it is resting on the ground most of the time.

There's no way I'd give up having my water right on hand with some kind of hydration pack. That said, I have been thinking of getting some of the weight out of my hydration pack and onto my bike. I've thought of the strap that TD posted or having a custom frame pack made by someone like this:

Carousel Design Works

I think the best compromise might be a little weight on your back (mostly water) and a little weight on your bike (mostly stuff).

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I weighed my stuff yesterday. My repair kit is about 2 pounds and my first-aid kit is about 2 pounds. I think getting those off my back and to a low spot on the frame would be a good thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I used to ride with a pack, but the weight was killing me on my back, plus the pack makes your back sweat more. Recently I did the SM100, and was I ever so glad I didnt have that pack on my back. i let the bike carry the weight so I didnt have to. Again personal preference, but for me pushing the same weight regardless, Ill let the bike carry the extra weight, not my shoulders and back!

Category Winner
    Didn't know this one was going to be available starting today:

Clutch-Mount Anywhere

Super long, trim to length.

Once again, MTBR Disclaimer: I am very slightly associated with Backcountry Research
    (they sponsor me). I don't want people throwing poo at me.

Meh... what a shilltastic way to waste my 5,000th post.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM