mtbr member

Bad powder coating...suggestions

So as a surprise for my GF I tore down her SC Juliana and took it in to a local powder coating outfit for a fresh look. The company has done numerous bikes and came recommended. I called to check in on the bike and they shot the wrong color. No biggie my lady liked it. Began the rebuild and found the BB threads were full of media blast, the rear triangle thru bolt threads are 3/4 full of powder coat, the hanger and rear brakes bosses are covered in powder coat, there is material remnants in both the front and rear frame sections and all areas that accepts thru bolts have been shot and will not accept the hardware. I asked if they needed any info on the frame and they said they were good. Seems like a pretty wonky job and I wanted to hear what you guys think is the best way to handle this and what you would expect from a powder coat job and what you would do in this situation.

Cheers,

Matt

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Wow! I've never had a bike frame done but I have had motorcycle frames of vintage enduros done for several restoration projects and what you got would be completely unacceptable and extremely amateur for any professional shop. All the threaded holes should have been plugged. they make special rubber plugs just for this purpose. Exposed threads should have been aluminum taped or equivalent, as well. Sounds like you have a real mess because you don't / can't peel the coating from those holes or you'll expose the bare metal and corrosion will start immediately.

If it were me, the shop would be stripping the frame and redoing all the work....correctly. If they weren't immediately willing to do that, I'd have it all documented and at another shop that knows what they're doing and the bill would be going to the previous shop for repayment....or small claims court.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Go back to the shop, explain the problems and ask for some of your money back. Then buy a tap kit and chase the threads on everything. Don't expect the shop to do any more work. Clearly they don't know what they're doing and I wouldn't have them touch the frame any more. Sounds like a little work cleaning up the threads should get you going. Stripping existing PC is a lot harder than stripping wet paint. I wouldn't have the frame completely redone.

When I had my frame coated, I found some residual blast material inside. I think that's pretty typical. They did an excellent job taping everything off though. How much did you pay for the job, if you don't mind me asking?

turtles make me hot
    Or throw it through their front window.

Seriously though, tap and die set is the way to go... Tap for bottom bracket is gonna cost a ton. Maybe a small wire wheel on a drill for that. Be careful not to mangle the threads.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses and sorry for the triple thread post

I will go and talk to the shop today and might even wear my team jersey, since they are a sponsor. Hope they will sack up and repair the poor work in a timely manner.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by granitematt View Post
    Thanks for the responses and sorry for the triple thread post

I will go and talk to the shop today and might even wear my team jersey, since they are a sponsor. Hope they will sack up and repair the poor work in a timely manner.
    Also, ask them what their oven temps are when doing aluminum bike frames. One way powder coaters increase thru-put is increase temperatures which is not good for a heat treated aluminum bike frame.