mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Avid BB7 - Won't Stay Centered When Removing/Installing Wheel

Not sure what is going on w/ my BB-7 brakes. They are practically new but require constant fiddling to keep the the calipers centered on the disc. Anytime I remove the front wheel (e.g., to put the bike on the roof rack), when I re-install and tighten the QR the disc is rubbing like crazy and I've got to spend three or four minutes re-centering everything. This happens EVERY time I remove the wheel.

Some things that I've ruled out: Yes I know how to use a QR properly. The caliper is not getting bumped or anything while in the rack...also the hub locknuts are perfectly tight on the spindle, so nothing going on w/ the hub.

Any idea what the issue could be? Such a pain in the a$$ to have to fiddle with these things every time I head out to the trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I had some trouble with this for a while on BB5's. I eventually narrowed the problem down to the fact that when I re-installed the wheel, it was never in the same position in the dropouts twice. And, with the caliper adjusted for the wheel being askew, it made seating the wheel properly challenging. My procedure was:
    1) Place wheel in dropouts
    2) tighten QR
    3) Loosen caliper
    4) Center and re-tighten Caliper.

After I realized what was going on, I loosened the caliper and the QR at the SAME time, ensured the wheel was fully seated in the dropouts, and then re-closed the QR and centered the caliper.

Problem solved... at least for me. You may have something else going on.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Like Evandy stated, it's actually the wheel that is your issue not the brakes. but instead of loosening the caliper at all, you need to set the wheel correctly. When you tighten the QR lever the natural force actually twists the wheel slightly in the fork's drop outs.

when ever you install the front wheel (or rear wheel for that matter) always weight it by leaning over the handle bars and use your body to push the wheel straight and down into the drop outs and hold it there while you tighten the QR lever. this will keep the axle seated in the fork during the tightening of the QR lever and it won't twist out. This way the wheel sits in the exact same position every time and once you set the caliper to that it'll sit proper every time.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    your hub is loose

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    watch the 1st 3 mins of this...

Trail Tire TV: Trail Tire TV - Episode 2

Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs View Post
    your hub is loose
    possible, but probably not,.. loose hub will allow it to rub all the time, mostly banking into corners. You wouldn't be able to fix it by reseting the caliper each time.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    OK...but...THIS SEEMS TOO SIMPLE!!! lol...i'll give it a try. I have been riding for over 20 years and traveling with a bike on my roof rack (and the front wheel off) for nearly as long, and never had this issue before, including with other disc brakes. But, I'll give it a go the next time at the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs View Post
    your hub is loose
    That was my first thought as well, but it's not. The lock nuts are on there real snug and there's no play in the axles.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    You do have to do it the first time and set the caliper to it. One other thought is the caliper/brake lever is getting moved or squeezed and the pads are getting moved out, but usually with bb7's one good squeeze once the disc is in will reset them. I do know people who take a wedge of cardboard and slip it up between the pads during transport so it keeps them spread as well as keeping them clean

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomatic73 View Post
    That was my first thought as well, but it's not. The lock nuts are on there real snug and there's no play in the axles.
    fork dropout could be worn as well. use a good skewer like shimano

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Can you adjust the pads for more clearance? I'd say you are probably running them too tight. Have your read up on the adjustment procedure?
    Almost every bike I've ever looked at with BB7's has been adjusted wrong with the cable adjusters cranked down, limiting travel.
    The cable adjuster is only to take the slack out of the cable, not for adjustment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    when ever you install the front wheel (or rear wheel for that matter) always weight it by leaning over the handle bars and use your body to push the wheel straight and down into the drop outs and hold it there while you tighten the QR lever. this will keep the axle seated in the fork during the tightening of the QR lever and it won't twist out. This way the wheel sits in the exact same position every time and once you set the caliper to that it'll sit proper every time.
    ^this.

Or the axle is bent.
    '02 Kona Bear - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake