Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aprons

mtbr member

Aprons

Who actually uses an Apron? I've looked at them a few times, wished I had one more times than I'd like to admit, but never bought one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i dont wear them just work shirts and pants that i dont care if i get dirty.

greedy
    I don't use mine nearly as much as I should. Sometimes I think to put it on and sometimes I end up with grease stains. I try to make it a point to wear it when I'm getting really nasty (rebuilding hubs, bleeding brakes, cleaning the drivetrain, etc...). Starting to use rubber gloves has been my biggest step toward cleanliness.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I like my apron if I know I will be working on my bike for an extended amount of time. A.) It is easy for me to organize having all the frequently used tools right in the pockets, so I work faster and B.) it has a bottle opener attached to it so I am always prepared for the job!

For me though it is about the convenience of the tools and not cleanliness. I have enough shop shirts and old jeans for that.

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    I have a park apron that I use about 25% of the time I work on my bikes. The longer the work session the more likely I am to wear it. It's nice to have and I should use it more.

As an added benefit, you have good place to sew on all those event patches that end up just laying around.

LP

mtbr member
    +1 on the rubber gloves. I use those every time I work anything like bearings, chains or hubs.

Guess I'll check out an apron, because enevitably I'll get the notion to work in the shop when I'm in a good mood due to wearing my favorite T Shirt which means I'll get it ruined. A nice shop shirt might be cool to have as well. Crap, this means my wife will have excuse to buy another purse.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Another useful aspect of aprons is that they form a place to set small parts if you're seated, which is sometimes handy.

I used to wear an apron a lot at work, but not much these days. With back, neck and shoulder injuries, and a work area that tends to run about 78F-80F in the summer, I don't need any more weight or insulation hanging from my neck. Instead, I wear shorts and these cheap black "easy care" work shirts: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1

Regarding gloves, nitrile's really good. Fred Meyer has some tough nitrile gloves in the paint section.

Former Bike Wrench
    I wore a apron all the time as a bicycle shop mechanic, it was part of my "uniform". Now that I just work in my garage I don't wear one much unless I know I'm going to get dirty.

mtbr member
    I won a Park Tool shop arpon at a local time trial in 2002, and have been wearing it in my shop ever since. Love it.

Before that, I used to just wear beater shirts and pants.

turtles make me hot
    http://www.mechanix.com/shop-apron

I have this one. The pockets are great.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Depending on the job at hand I wear one quite often both at the shop and at home. If I'm just cleaning the bike, adding air to tires, suspension etc. then no. But anything that involves lubricants or solvents I'll use the apron. So that means probably about 90% of the time I'm working on a bike. At work I spend the majority of the time in the shop, but I do have to get out on the floor and meet and greet customers occasionally. The boss don't like a grease ball greeting the customers, so the apron is a BIG plus. I also like the handy pockets for frequent use tools and small parts. Keeps me from having to run back and forth to the work bench so often. At home it keeps the wife happy as she doesn't like a grease ball sitting on the furniture, and it keeps the crud out of my car should I have to run for parts, pop, beer, etc. before I'm done with the project.

I like em! I know some don't, but I've ruined to many shop shirts and pairs of work pants with various lube stains and such. I use mine a lot.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Yo.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    I wore a apron all the time as a bicycle shop mechanic, it was part of my "uniform". Now that I just work in my garage I don't wear one much unless I know I'm going to get dirty.
    Same here. I keep them around for long/dirty jobs, or if I end up in the shop wearing nice clothes, or if I've got a guest working in the shop (if they want one).

I should probably use gloves more, but I never did while I worked as a wrench, so the habit never caught on.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    I work in a shop and I wear an apron to keep my clothes clean when doing repairs, but other than that I don't wear one.

jct
    mtbr member
    i use my park apron about 50% of the time when i'm working on bikes.

i'm kinda messy so it helps to keep the grime off my clothes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My wife wears one sometimes.

mtbr member

Just got one

Just got one for my b-day from world bicycle relief.

Its just like the nicer Park apron. $40 and part of the purchase price goes towards purchasing bicycles for people in Africa.

p.s that's not Arphaxhad, that's a pic from their website...

mtbr member
    I've always just worn "shop shorts and t-shirts" when I worked on my bikes. These were generally very old worn out, stained clothes. I always like the thought of using a shop apron, caused it looked very useful and kept one clean and it also looked "professional".LOL
    I finally broke down and bought a Park SA-3 apron. (Been on a buy Park Tool stuff kick lately) Yeah it's $$$ but hey I ain't got a whole hell of a lot of years left.....so I'm "spending my children's inheritance" as they say....LOL LOL It is a great apron protects my clothes and has handy pockets for tools. I really like it.!! Wear whatever ur comfy with, I say!
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

utilikilted

I don't wear a shop shirt, but ....

I don't wear an apron but I do wear a beater Utilikilt workman - lots of pockets and slots for allen wrenches. A little pricey to poney up initially but they last forever and just get better with washings and grease stains. http://www.utilikilts.com/customer/photo-gallery/ Maximize the link and then check out the welder and the blacksmith on page 1. Then highly recommend you go to page 5 and page 9 to decide which kilt suits you best. The kilt on page 9 is a little large and is an original, not a workman.

Regarding the title, I deleted this post from "shop shirt" and moved it to "shop apron", as this is a little more on topic. I just forgot to change the title. Can't edit the title after the fact.
    Last edited by Shuteye; 02-22-2011 at 09:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I wear a Park apron. I love it because it doesn't hang on your neck.

Cycle Psycho
    *oopspost*
    Last edited by Gritter; 02-18-2013 at 09:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Yup I wear my apron every time I am working on my bikes. First off I have all the essentials right at my chest every time because I keep everything in it's place. The obvious second plus is the fact that is keeps what you are wearing much cleaner. I have had the same apron from when I worked in bike/snowboard shops in CO back in the day so the nostalgia is always present.

Working on the bikes is my time and it is almost a ritual to put the apron on to get into "bike tuning/ski tuning" mode. Beers fit well in the pockets when you need two hands to do something.

I have actually passed the tradition on to my son by his request. At three he started wanting to wear one when we "worked" on bikes in the garage. That will keep me wearing it forever...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I work at a shop and frequently deal with really filthy bikes, so I wear an apron pretty much anytime I'm working on a bike. I got one of the denim-looking Mavic aprons at the Park Tech Summit last year and it's way more comfortable to wear than the Finish Line apron I also own. I would rather wear an apron than have extremely greasy/dirty clothes all the time.

Gritter, I have the same Finish Line apron as you. You do basically have to squirm into it...or at least that's the only way I've figured out how to put it on without having to re-route the straps each time. It works, but I prefer the Mavic apron, which has a loop around the neck and one waist strap.

Cycle Psycho
    *oopspost*
    Last edited by Gritter; 02-18-2013 at 09:01 PM.

mtbr member
    I did use my Park apron recently! Making homemade pizza

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    Thank you for your response, owensjs. I ended up returning the Finish Line apron. I didn't like the strap configuration, because I'm not a fan of bra straps. It's just so much easier the traditional way, which makes me more likely to use the thing. That magnetic chest plate just didn't lube my chain, although I did like the extra long length.
    Yeah I'm not crazy about the Finish Line apron straps either. The magnetic chest plate is mostly worthless since it's not strong enough to really old anything, except for small box wrenches like the thin, double ended park wrenches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast