mtbr member

Anyone used Bahco cable cutters?

Hey guys, I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with these for cutting cables and or housing. My dad already has this tool (he's an electrician), and I just don't want to buy a dedicated tool for cutting "bycicle" cables, especially seeing as how I don't see myself doing this often. Attached is a pic. of this tool.

Let me know what you think,
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The best tool I've found for cutting housing is a demel equipped with a cutting wheel. Probably not the safest thing to use but it makes a cleaner cut than anything else I've tried.

I'm not picky about the took I use to cut the cables though. Pretty much any cutter-type pliers work for me.

kona-tize me captain
    as logn as there sharp then theyll cut through your housings. i would first take a practice cut in some excess housing just to make sure. remember open up then end of the cable housing once you have cut it.

does a dremel really work for housing? i know it doesnt work with the cable itself it just unwravels it.
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    does a dremel really work for housing? i know it doesnt work with the cable itself it just unwravels it.
    Yeah, I dremel is really the best at cutting housing. You have to be pretty quick about it though or the inner liner will melt if you go too slow. I wouldn't even consider using a Park housing cutter anymore - let alone actually buying one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodfist
    Hey guys, I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with these for cutting cables and or housing. My dad already has this tool (he's an electrician), and I just don't want to buy a dedicated tool for cutting "bycicle" cables, especially seeing as how I don't see myself doing this often. Attached is a pic. of this tool.

Let me know what you think,
    Not sure but a lot of those electrical tools are for copper wires only, pretty much will destroy them on stainless steel housings and cables

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    FELCO c7

....::::::::: WeRideBikes:::::::::....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    Not sure but a lot of those electrical tools are for copper wires only, pretty much will destroy them on stainless steel housings and cables
    yeah, those type of cutters munch/flatten cables & housing (original poster). The work just fine for electrical around the house though!

I use the felco/park type cutters for cables and dremel for housing (ala naestep). Felco's work ok for housing, especially if'n you have a piece of cable in there while cutting.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Hit The Road Cyclery
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbrubb
    FELCO c7

I heartily second this suggestion. Felco cutters are by far the best cable cutters you can buy. I've had mine for almost 10 years of full-time shop use and they're still going strong.

mtbr member
    those are dykes (diagonal cutters), you really want a scissor type like others have shown.

Back when I first started doing my own work, I was in high school and had no money, like $0 for a tool budget. I actually learned how to make a good cut with dykes because my father had a set.

First, make sure it's ok woth your old man to use those to cut steel wire. If he's an electrician, and those are his "good" tools, he might not be ok with it (it will dull the cutters, which are meant for mush softer copper). If yr dad doesn't mind, you might dig through his tools looking for a stripper, which often have a scissor cut section (still not the best for cutting bike cables, but might be worth a shot).

After that get some old cables that you are going to throw away, and practice cutting them into short sections. Most of the time you will crush and fray the strands without actually cutting all of them. Best technique I found was to put the cable all the way back into the cutting jaws and making the cut as firmly and quickly as you can. Like I said it will take a lot of practice, and if you can spare $15-20 for a bike specific cable cutter you will be a lot happier.