Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Any Pro Interest in Shimano Shop Tools?

I think Park pretty much has the market covered as far as pro bike shop tools go, but some Shimano reps with interpreters and everything, (pretty cool experience actually,) stopped by our shop on the way to Sea Otter. I was the only tech working that day so I got to talk with these guys by myself for close to an hour about components, trends, etc. They commented that a shop use line of pro tools was in the works. What do you guys that work in shops think about that? I cant see anyone switching over from Park to all Shimano but who knows. The finest working tool I ever used was a Shimano chainring nut wrench at UBI.

mtbr member
    I know I have used Shimano's derailleur gauge before in a few shops I am pretty sure it was designed for 700c wheels though, didn't work great on 26" wheels, a lot lighter and easier to use then parks I found. as well my favorite cable cutter is the Shimano one I have found nothing that cuts better and fits in your hand better.

I can see some more Shimano tools finding places in my tool box if they keep up with the great quality and less bulky tools that they have made in the past. But I don't see them replacing some of my park tools I have now, I simply can't do without my park 3 way allan key set nothing else feels right in my hand. And it will be hard to make a set of cone wrenches to look as nice hanging on the peg board as the Park ones. To put it simply I like the park blue and shimano's black and silver tools that they have put out lately aren't that visually appealing, but still if they make a better tool for a job I will have to get it over the park tools.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    shimano makes nice tools but the cost is quite high compared to say park.

mtbr member
    Ive used very very few park tools that I felt were "quality". Most of it surprises me just how cheap they feel. Lots of stamped steel... as someone who uses tools professionally every day, I couldnt imagine working daily with park-quality stuff.

In most industries, craftsman stuff is considered low end sometimes to the point of being unacceptable. Craftsman stomps all over park in terms of quality.

As long as shimano is competitively priced and covers the range of tools necessary, I could see them easily trampling park.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Ive used very very few park tools that I felt were "quality". Most of it surprises me just how cheap they feel. Lots of stamped steel... as someone who uses tools professionally every day, I couldnt imagine working daily with park-quality stuff.

In most industries, craftsman stuff is considered low end sometimes to the point of being unacceptable. Craftsman stomps all over park in terms of quality.

As long as shimano is competitively priced and covers the range of tools necessary, I could see them easily trampling park.
    if you don't buy park general mechanics tools like pliers, sockets and screw drivers, the bike specific stuff is decent quality. craftsman is pretty good in some areas and terrible in others. the trend has been down hill in recent years for craftsman though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post

I agree completely. Snap-On, Mac, Matco, and even Craftsman are worlds better quality than park. Park dominates the market in bike shops with repair stands, T-handles, 3-ways, Truing stands, Crown Race pullers, Headset Cup removers, and facing tools. In these applications they can't be beaten.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Its funny I also wondered this. Ive got a few park tools since its what my lbs sells. For the every once in awhile that im going to remove my bottom bracket its ok. However as a guy whose tool box is 99% Snap-on I cant see how a bike mechanic would put up with what seems to be low quality stuff.
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    park makes home owner grade stuff too. the stamped hollow tech 2 tool is home owner grade. even the cast one that fits on the ratchet is not that good. it works for its purpose though. same for the double ended cone wrenches vs the dipped handle ones. understand that a cone wrench in a shop are disposable. i get a new 13 and 15mm every year. they wear out and have to be made out of sheet stock. comparing to snap on is not fair IMO. when park price is on the snap on level then you can make a fair comparison.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    You've gotta take these tools on a case-by-case basis. Certain Park Tool products are superior to everything else out there, like their new fork crown race remover. Others are woefully mediocre, like their wheel dishing tool.

But there's one thing prohibiting me from embracing Park Tool as much as I'd like to: Their in-your-face Christianity. It wasn't that long ago that their print catalog contained bible verses. While unusual, this was a non-issue for me, until I saw their frame alignment gauge tool, labeled simply: F A G. Now I figure, each time a company, any company, creates a product, they have to ask themselves a question: "Shall we adorn said product with a vicious, hateful slur?" In Park Tool's case, the answer was yes.

As a professional, I will always choose the best tool for the job, social politics and everything else aside. But when quality alternatives exist, I will always forgoe the Park option.
    Last edited by Psycle151; 04-22-2013 at 11:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    While unusual, this was a non-issue for me, until I saw their frame alignment gauge tool, labeled simply: F A G.
    Seriously? If you look at all their tools, they abbreviate all of them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    Seriously? If you look at all their tools, they abbreviate all of them.
    I was expecting such a reply from Captain Obvious. All I'm saying here, is the facts are enough to arouse suspicion.

Fact 1: Park Tool's leadership is adamantly Christian. There's a Bible verse IN the catalog, people. On page one of their 2013 catalog, right above President Eric Hawkin's signature, is verse John 1:12. No problem here, yet...

Fact 2: Park Tool saw fit to write the word "F A G" on one of their products, a tool that hangs in virtually every bike shop in this country. Now captain, I understand that those letters stand for "frame alignment gauge". But don't tell me their hands were tied, that there weren't any number of alternative names for that tool.

Fact 3: One of the mainstays of fundamentalist Christianity is a strict intolerance of homosexuality.

I'm going to stop just short of outrightly accusing Park Tool of hate speech. But there is enough evidence to arouse suspicion. I suggest folks broaden their horizons by becoming aware of the fine tool offerings from companies like Hozan, Var, Shimano, Stein, EVT, etc.

mtbr member
    You've gotta take these tools on a case-by-case basis. Certain Park Tool products are superior to everything else out there, like their new fork crown race remover. Others are woefully mediocre, like their wheel dishing tool.

But there's one thing prohibiting me from embracing Park Tool as much as I'd like to: Their in-your-face Christianity. It wasn't that long ago that their print catalog contained bible verses. While unusual, this was a non-issue for me, until I saw their frame alignment gauge tool, labeled simply: F A G. Now I figure, each time a company, any company, creates a product, they have to ask themselves a question: "Shall we adorn said product with a vicious, hateful slur?" In Park Tool's case, the answer was yes.

As a professional, I will always choose the best tool for the job, social politics and everything else aside. But when quality alternatives exist, I will always forgoe the Park option.
    All good, but you must admit that is a darn fine tool. I use it all the time when I don't want to work on a particular bike........ie: your rear triangle is misaligned 7mm to the left.......you should take it to a dealer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If Shimano's tools work well and are a reasonable value..Then I would certainly be interested in them. I use their components, shoes,...fishing equipment, so why not tools?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    ........ Nevermind!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That is such rubbish. Let me guess, you also think the US government masterminded 9-11?

Park abbreviates all their tool names, and have as far back as I can remember. Now, if they had gone out of their way to name something that could be abbreviated to *** then you might have a point, but a frame alignment gauge is exactly what it is. They also have a Frame and Fork End Alignment Gauge and a Derailleur Hanger Alignment Gauge.

It looks like you're going out of your way to pin malice and hatred on them just because they're have Christian leadership.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    bad mechanic:

I admit it's something of a conspiracy theory, but it's really not so far-fetched. PLENTY of "Christians" hate gay people. And the fact remains that Park Tool is comfortable writing the word "F A G" on their product. I, and probably most people, would not be comfortable doing so.

There's more evidence here to support my theory, than your own one about me just being on some anti-Christian bent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No, they're comfortable writing the abbreviation on their tool. Coming down on them for not finding another abbreviation is political correctness gone too far. Finding a conspiracy in it because they have Christian leadership is both paranoid and, frankly, hints at some animosity towards Christians on your end.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    No, they're comfortable writing the abbreviation on their tool. Coming down on them for not finding another abbreviation is political correctness gone too far. Finding a conspiracy in it because they have Christian leadership is both paranoid and, frankly, hints at some animosity towards Christians on your end.
    Fairly well-stated, bad mechanic. Although it's an acronym, not an abbreviation. I really do hope I'm wrong on this one. As I own and enjoy using more than a few of their products. Although, it's just not everyday that a consumer is forced to stare-down the word "F A G" on a household good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    bad mechanic:

I admit it's something of a conspiracy theory, but it's really not so far-fetched. PLENTY of "Christians" hate gay people. And the fact remains that Park Tool is comfortable writing the word "F A G" on their product. I, and probably most people, would not be comfortable doing so.

There's more evidence here to support my theory, than your own one about me just being on some anti-Christian bent.
    i think youre the one spreading hate here. hate based on youre admittedly dubious theory. what youre saying is offensive. good thing i dont give a chit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    i think youre the one spreading hate here. hate based on youre admittedly dubious theory. what youre saying is offensive. good thing i dont give a chit.
    It's okay bing, I know it can be scary when your previously held beliefs are challenged by new information. The theory is controversial, but offensive? Only in the way that evolution science was offensive to creationists.
    Last edited by Psycle151; 04-25-2013 at 02:53 AM.

Plays with tools
    The bicycle industry is ready for a truly professional grade tool supplier. The level of tools available for bicycles is way behind the level of bikes we are working on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It's okay bing, I know it can be scary when your previously held beliefs are challenged by new information. The theory is controversial, but offensive? Only in the way that evolution science was offensive to creationists.
    with your struggled logic, I can understand it may be difficult to figure out that the same stereotyping you profess to object to is the same one as what youre spreading right here.

trying to develop respect for one social group while dismissing another does not give much credit to what youre trying to do. there can be be no political correctness if its being professed by bigots.

and that dig? i cant get myself to feel anything about a dig from a person who can leap from Frame Alignment Gauge to a homophobic slur. some Christians dont like gay people ergo Park Tools with its Alignment Gauge is a hater? that conclusion is ignorant and only serves to spread more misunderstanding.

try this, because people are different from you, you dont have to hate them. we can all get along.
    Last edited by bing!; 04-25-2013 at 07:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Neg rep to you, Psycle151 for ruining my thread.

BTW, your theory makes absolutely no sense. The derailleur alignment gauge is the DAG. I cannot believe your sensibilities are offended simply by reading the three letters F A G on a tool. How do you get by in the world on a day to day basis if you are this feeble.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    The bicycle industry is ready for a truly professional grade tool supplier. The level of tools available for bicycles is way behind the level of bikes we are working on.
    agree. lezyne stuff looks ok but some of the double ended designs make no sense. i have not seen them first hand so just speculation. only thing i have handled is the pedal wrench with wood handle. coworker has one and does not like it. the day we see a drop forged pedal wrench with broached open ends will be never IMO. i don't think they will be able to produce enough to cover the production costs.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Any Pro Interest in Shimano Shop Tools?

I was expecting such a reply from Captain Obvious. All I'm saying here, is the facts are enough to arouse suspicion.

Fact 1: Park Tool's leadership is adamantly Christian. There's a Bible verse IN the catalog, people. On page one of their 2013 catalog, right above President Eric Hawkin's signature, is verse John 1:12. No problem here, yet...

Fact 2: Park Tool saw fit to write the word "F A G" on one of their products, a tool that hangs in virtually every bike shop in this country. Now captain, I understand that those letters stand for "frame alignment gauge". But don't tell me their hands were tied, that there weren't any number of alternative names for that tool.

Fact 3: One of the mainstays of fundamentalist Christianity is a strict intolerance of homosexuality.

I'm going to stop just short of outrightly accusing Park Tool of hate speech. But there is enough evidence to arouse suspicion. I suggest folks broaden their horizons by becoming aware of the fine tool offerings from companies like Hozan, Var, Shimano, Stein, EVT, etc.
    You're ****ing crazy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast