inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

any mini cable cutters for trail repair?

I have been wondering if there are any small cable cutters capable of cutting housing and derailleur cable while on the trail.

I have a heavy cable cutter at home (in the van) for replacement, but have wanted to take a miniature one on the trail. I don't mind an extra long cable sticking out on a derailleur to get home in the case a cable breaks, but cutting one would be handy in the event of a cable actuated seat post like a LEV experiencing a broken cable.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Some of the Leatherman type tools have cable cutters. Wouldn't work for housing and would probably mash the cable as it cuts but it would shorten the cable.
    I'm prepared for repairs on the trail but who carries housing and cable?

mtbr member
    I have a Leatherman Wave that would cut cable housing, it's a beast. It also cuts inner cleanly, as well as a proper cable-cutter.

Note though that the newer Wave tools I've seen don't have the notch in the base of the blades. That's what holds the cable and gives the clean cut. Get one with the notch and you're sorted.

mtbr member
    They're fine for cables but I've never seen a side cutter (leatherman) that could do a decent job with shift housing. Much better than pounding it with a sharp rock though, and more than adequate for a trailside hack.

mtbr member
    The Wave is just too awesome for words. I've never cut cable housing but I've cut stuff a lot heavier, including fencing wire and a steel tent peg! I can't think of anything that small you could carry that might do a better job, plus offer all of the other tools too. Even save your life it might: LINKBullet-Stopping Wave Saves Soldier?s Life - Leatherman Blog

I ride a Swarf
    Years ago I tried my gerber legend using the carbide bit and it worked, blunted it, but it worked. Not cheap or that light though, but smaller than a dedicated cutter.
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?