Huckin' trails

Which alloy for thru-QR axles ?

Hi,

I currently have a set of Novatec D881/882 hubs with the thru-QR in 9mm and 10mm configuration. They are solid steel and heavy, and I can't find the alloy version easily. I have access to all the tooling and fabrication knowledge to make alloy ones myself, but no clue at all about the proper aluminum alloy itself that would be best for this application.

Could anyone tell me what would be a decent alloy for this purpose ? Its going on a XC bike with carbon wheels and I'm 120lbs with gear and very easy on the gear.

Thanks very much

Which alloy for thru-QR axles ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392090605.522185.jpg

Which alloy for thru-QR axles ?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392090757.955072.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Plays with tools
    7075 should be up to the task. Or you could just drop in a pair of the DT RWS skewers that are probably 100% compatible with your hub and save yourself all the trouble of making a skewer.

Huckin' trails

Thanks. These aren't much trouble to make, they are just a straight rod, I already got everything planned.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Plays with tools
    What are you going to do for the cam? Post up some pics when you're done.

Huckin' trails
    The cam actually can be taken apart, it's just a set screw holding it on place (after it's been pressed in I guess), and the cam itself is aluminum already. It's really a simple swap of the rod itself. I'll post pics for sure !

I can get the 7075-T6 alloy I need for both front and rear for $10 shipped to my door, while DT or American Classic are $30 each !

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Any pics yet?

Huckin' trails

Sorry, I had to leave this aside for a while, too many things going on these days. If I get to it, I'll make sure to post the pictures though.