mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Are all 10 speed quick links 1 time use only? Also, will hg94 chain work with road?

I've read that some quick links for chains are 1 times use only. Does this apply to Connex and KMC chains?

Also, will the XT HG-94 chain work with road shifting and cogs?

What could go wrong ...
    Shimano pins are 1 time use ... Sram and KMC master links can be used over again
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Mine understanding that this style of "Powerlock" link is one time use only because they fit so tight, including this SRAM version that I just bought off eBay.

Thats my understanding based on what I've recently read. Let me know if you disagree...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are all 10 speed quick links 1 time use only? Also, will hg94 chain work with road?-dsc_0542-version-2.jpg  

650b me
    SRAM 10-speed links are one time use only, but I've taken my chain apart for cleaning and re-used the powerlink and I have not experienced any problems. Then again, I never break bike parts, so YMMV.

mtbr member
    My understanding is that Connex and KMC can be reused but use a new link with every new chain.

SRAM 10spd powerlock is meant to be used only once but many by report reuse them.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Plays with tools
    SRAM 10 and 11spd links are not intended to be reused, all other SRAM links are reuseable though. KMC and connex both make reusable 10spd links should be inclined to remove your chain regularly for some odd reason.

Class Clown
    I understand a new one for a new chain, but what harm can there be just taking the chain off? This would be annoying since I like to remove the chain sometimes for a good cleaning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    They don't care. They're the *******s that made all the speeds past 9. How could they care? They probably LIKE that you have to spend MORE MORE MORE on their stupid ****ing overpriced stupid ****ing chains. They probably LIKE that the chains don't last as long and are a pain in the ass to use. You know why? Because they're the sorry ****ers that made speeds past nine.

And as for Shimano charging you $3 every time you need to break their chain, or SRAM charging 10+ every time you need to fiddle with that link, well, that's just the icing on the cake for those sorry SORRY EVIL ****ers who made the speeds past nine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Gee, did a chain kill one of your family members? What, exactly, would you find ideal in a wear part?

Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    I understand a new one for a new chain, but what harm can there be just taking the chain off? This would be annoying since I like to remove the chain sometimes for a good cleaning.
    You don't really need to give the chain a good cleaning, unless you decided to dip it in salt water. Proper lubrication will take care of just about everything until the chain is dead.

Plays with tools
    Breaking chains always comes at a horrible time and you're certainly likely to do yourself some harm. So if a manufacturer says not to reuse them, I'm not going to do it no matter how many people claim to do so without issue. The risk of breaking a chain isn't worth it. There's nothing worthwhile you can do to clean your chain off the bike that you can't do while it's on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    They don't care. They're the *******s that made all the speeds past 9. How could they care? They probably LIKE that you have to spend MORE MORE MORE on their stupid ****ing overpriced stupid ****ing chains. They probably LIKE that the chains don't last as long and are a pain in the ass to use. You know why? Because they're the sorry ****ers that made speeds past nine.

And as for Shimano charging you $3 every time you need to break their chain, or SRAM charging 10+ every time you need to fiddle with that link, well, that's just the icing on the cake for those sorry SORRY EVIL ****ers who made the speeds past nine.
    Bitter much? I don't think the guys on the VRC forum are that grumpy about 10spd.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Gee, did a chain kill one of your family members? What, exactly, would you find ideal in a wear part?

You don't really need to give the chain a good cleaning, unless you decided to dip it in salt water. Proper lubrication will take care of just about everything until the chain is dead.
    A nice thick single speed chain. That's what.

Plays with tools
    A nice thick single speed chain. That's what.
    A rohloff is sitting on a shelf in Deutschland with your name on it.

The width of a chain has absolutely nothing to do with it's overall strength or durablity btw.

mtbr member
    Then buy a Connex or KMC chain or link. I seem to recall reading somewhere that even KMC suggest a maximum number of times to open and close a link.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    A rohloff is sitting on a shelf in Deutschland with your name on it.

The width of a chain has absolutely nothing to do with it's overall strength or durablity btw.

It does if the plates are thicker.

And yes, I am scheming for a Rohloff, and I could have done it on my current build if I had REALLY squeezed my budget, but no, I was stupid and didn't.

If only they had a contest I could win or something. My bike has the right dropouts for one.

Class Clown
    Um no actually after a month of good riding I remove the chain to clean it properly. I keep it cleaned and lubed regularly but it still accumulates some gunk over time. So yes I need to remove the chain sometimes.

Plays with tools
    It does if the plates are thicker.
    All else being equal yes. But metallurgy has improved a bit since your beloved 9spd chains were first built. Shimano claimed (and bike rumor verified) that their 980 10spd chain was the most durable and strongest chain they've ever produced. They then turned around and said the same thing about the 9000 11spd Dura Ace chain. So if they were to reinvest that R&D into 9spd chains they could be stronger, but they're not going to do that.

mtbr member
    Um no actually after a month of good riding I remove the chain to clean it properly. I keep it cleaned and lubed regularly but it still accumulates some gunk over time. So yes I need to remove the chain sometimes.

Maybe you want to but you don't really need to remove the chain. If I could do it for a living, cleaning multiple chains daily and leaving them on the bike, then it shouldn't be that big of a deal for someone who only has one or two bikes to maintain. You can get a pretty grungy chain shiny clean in a reasonably quick time without removing it.

It might be rare for chain to fail where it has been re-connected but it's even more rare for a chain to fail if it hasn't been broken in the first place. If it's your own life then it's your call but when I'm dealing with someone else's, or my own for that matter, I prefer not to take what I feel is an unnecessary risk.

I think I may have broken a couple as a kid but in the last 30 years of riding bikes over many thousands of miles both on and off-road I have never broken a chain, and I have also never removed one for cleaning. Coincidence? Maybe.....

Class Clown
    Well that's all fine and dandy but perhaps my cleaning methods are a bit more detailed. I also remove other components and it's alot easier with the chain out of the way.

In any case someone mentioned a 10-speed chain is not weaker, then why is it no problem removing a 9-speed quicklink?

I don't break chains either but I've never used 10-speed, which is why I was curious as to why they couldn't be removed. Don't get me started on Shimano master pins, I don't use 'em. I always go with Sram powerlinks.

B.Ike
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Maybe you want to but you don't really need to remove the chain. If I could do it for a living, cleaning multiple chains daily and leaving them on the bike, then it shouldn't be that big of a deal for someone who only has one or two bikes to maintain. You can get a pretty grungy chain shiny clean in a reasonably quick time without removing it.

It might be rare for chain to fail where it has been re-connected but it's even more rare for a chain to fail if it hasn't been broken in the first place. If it's your own life then it's your call but when I'm dealing with someone else's, or my own for that matter, I prefer not to take what I feel is an unnecessary risk.

I think I may have broken a couple as a kid but in the last 30 years of riding bikes over many thousands of miles both on and off-road I have never broken a chain, and I have also never removed one for cleaning. Coincidence? Maybe.....
    I take chains off all the time....I've also broken 3 in the last year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElwoodT View Post
    I take chains off all the time....I've also broken 3 in the last year.
    Gol dang- super stud! I feel inadequate, maybe I should work on my leg strength?

Name:  skinnylegsbigface-210x300.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  24.3 KB

B.Ike
    ^^It's not leg strength. I'm fat.
    I blame user error on the shimano chains I broke, and bad luck with a single speed chain that broke on a steep climb.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Missing Link is what $1.50 each. Seems like cheap insurance vs possibly walking 12 miles back to the trailhead!