mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Upset AL Top Tube Dent

Yesterday was not a good day of riding, chain snap and I managed to deform my top tube on my Sette Razzo Al frame. The material is 7005 Alloy. I am not too sure what I should do hear... should the frame trashed. If I am understanding the "bicycle truss" correctly the top tube is primary a compression member, so when if fails (more like when) it should now fail downward due to the tube be dented on the top? My question is how safe would you say this is to ride? I have plastically deformed the metal and micro stress fractures can be seen around the deformation. I have attached photos of the deformation. Please let me know what you should do. I would really like to get out there and ride, but I do not want to destroy my face either...

mtbr member
    Wow!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

ups and downs
    There's no sharp crease so a crack start and growth would be slower, but it's time to see if Price Point has a crash replacement program.

The stress fractures are likely only in the paint/powder coat right now, but it won't be long before that could start to crack, likely on the bottom side. Generally crack propagation would be slower here compared to nearer the headtube but the real problem is you never know how fast it will propagate once it starts. Since the frame is more or less terminal, you could chemically strip the paint to make it faster to check for aluminium cracks.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    rockyuphill, thanks for the suggestion on paint striping. I did contact Price Point and I am waiting to hear back from them. I am hoping something good may come... If not I may ride it and save up for a new frame.

Class Clown
    I'm no metalurgist nor am I an engineer but shiver me timbers order a new frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Either my eyes deceive me, or the top tube is also bent, not just dented. Grab a machinist's rule and check that out.

Whatever the case may be, junk it, get a new frame, and don't worry about it.

Plays with tools
    that's done