mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Air Tank for Mounting Tubless Tires???

Hi,
    I am thinking of getting a reflillable air tank (the kind that you fill up at a gas station) for using to mount tubless tires. Will these work okay or do you really need a compressor?

thanks

Matt

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    depends on the tire, if the tire is difficult to seat then you will drain the tank quick

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ^^^^ Fer Sure ^^^
    A "Proper" portable air tank will cost you 1/2 of what you'd pay for a small electric tanked compressor. The cheap ones are just that, a leaking non-cooperative PITA. I use to have a quality one, it was nice to have for obvious reasons, but unless you got a UST system
    That inflates & beads in one blast, your back to gas station. I have had several compressors over the years for contractor work & I found that a small twin tank, like Porter Cable puts out, works great for all my home needs...you can find something like this for $100-$130 usually with some goodies included. Just One Man's opinion, good luck
    Ps: Air tank cheaper than using Co2 cartridges, don't ask
    Last edited by No Ski today - so I Ride; 01-29-2013 at 06:31 AM.
    Formerly Wiz - Boot'd I guess

mtbr member
    OP,
    I saw your thread the other day but didn't comment since I didn't have direct answer to your question. But I've changed my mind and I suggest taking a look at the technique in this video. It is a trick for getting a tire to easily inflate on a UST-style rim. I don't know how it would work with a Stan's or ghetto conversion, and I also don't know what type of setup you are running. But this trick has given me 100% success over many years in getting tires to seat and inflate tubeless . I also use a cheap electric tanked compressor, but many times I'll just use a floor pump if the tank is empty.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyF2...e_gdata_player
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyF29qi82Ws&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    OP,
    I saw your thread the other day but didn't comment since I didn't have direct answer to your question. But I've changed my mind and I suggest taking a look at the technique in this video. It is a trick for getting a tire to easily inflate on a UST-style rim. I don't know how it would work with a Stan's or ghetto conversion, and I also don't know what type of setup you are running. But this trick has given me 100% success over many years in getting tires to seat and inflate tubeless . I also use a cheap electric tanked compressor, but many times I'll just use a floor pump if the tank is empty.
    that looks cool,... but A lot of tires my friends or myself have used wont stay on the bead like that.. but man , if you can get it to stay up that way.. friggin sweet way to get it done...

I've found I get beads to seat rather easy using electrical tape wrapped around the tire... do like 10 or more full wraps around tightening the tension each time. Think you'd be fine with the tank doing this way... not 100% as again it depends on tire and rim match.. but I'd give ya an 85% chance of success using tape (don't use duct tape or others.. the electrical tape stretches as the tire expands.. regular tape wont as well and may actually keep the bead from 100% setting...)
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    The key is keeping things dry. They talk about it in the vid, but don't explain why. If it's wet, it's slippery so it will just slide back off. I've never experienced a bead not able to stay on the bead shelf when things are dry.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    The key is keeping things dry. They talk about it in the vid, but don't explain why. If it's wet, it's slippery so it will just slide back off. I've never experienced a bead not able to stay on the bead shelf when things are dry.
    ya... I kinda got that.. but without a UST rim it's unlikely to work... worth a try though!!! I always install dry now,.. like I said I use tape to compress the tire so it seals easier.. don't like the soap method as it can actually hinder the sealant from working right after first install.. I blow them up with the stem core out, get the bead fully locked then add the sealant through the stem ... add core after

I will remember that method thou.. especially useful for trail side emergencies....

like I said... the tape should work fine with a tank... I use my tiny little 1 quart compressor now instead of my friggin loud air gun compressor.. works just peachy..

check it out...
    Trail Tire TV: Tubeless ease - Making tubeless installing easier- tips and tricks
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a 10-gal air tank that works fine for Bontrager tubeless-ready. Just a few-second shot and you are in business. It uses very little air.

However, I rarely use it for that anymore. My Lezyne Hi-Volume floor pump works fine -- sometimes I don't even have to remove the valve core.

If a few blasts don't start building pressure, grab the sidewalls between your thumbs and the sides of your index fingers and pull the beads up on the shelf. I wet everything down with soapy water in a spray bottle first. I pump them up until the beads snap into place, then deflate and add the sealant thru the valve stems using a 1-oz syringe (without needle!) from the pharmacy.

I can't watch the video now but will do so.

mtbr member

Air Tank for Mounting Tubless Tires???

Thanks for the tips on seating tubeless tires. I was debating getting a compressor but I decided to get a Lenzyne dirt drive floor pump.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ive used one of these for many years, and it works perfectly fine. Have never had a an issue with it.

Pancake Air Compressor - 3 Gallon, 100 PSI

mtbr member
    Porter Cable 3.5 gallon for me. I've never had issues with it.

mtbr member
    The only tubeless tire I failed to mount with a floor pump was a Hutchinson Atom on an Ultegra wheel.

For everything else it's only been a matter of the right components, or if it was a home-made conversion, it just needed to be built right.