mtbr member
    May 2009

Air Compressor in back of truck! Mtn bikers come on in!

So i wanted to share my experience and ask a question or two:

So I have carried this Harbor Freight 3 gallon air compressor in the back of my Titan for some time now.....

HF Item # 95275 - regularly $59.99, very often found on sale for $49.99 and some times or with coupon for $39.99

I love it, for mtn biking its the best thing since sliced bread to have a air compressor on hand!

I'm in the process of wiring up a ac power inverter straight from my Optima battery so that I don't have to plug it in before leaving the house. It works great and can easily do mtn bike tires before a ride.

1. I will say that it wont do road bike tires and this is what raises the question.....
    Just because of the occasional road ride I have contemplated using my 3 gallon for my staple guns, finish nail guns, etc and purchasing the 6 gallon HF air compressor for my back of truck bike ready replacement air compressor.

HF Item # 67696 - regularly $139.99, very often found on sale for $129.99 and RARELY at times or with coupon for $99.99.

I guess i really don't need one as i do have a floor pump, etc...

2. I also noticed this style of air compressor as well and wondered if it would work for bikes??? anyone have any experience using this type??

HF ITEM # 69285 - regularly $74.99, and since this is the first I have looked into this type, i see its currently on sale for $59.99.

- the no tank makes me think its not the option for me, as i will always have to have this thing running/making noise while trying to air up tires....

I like adding air with no compressor sound blazing..........so im thinking i may just up and buy the 6 gallon.....

also, i saw that the days after thanksgiving the 6 gallon will be back to $99.99...

- Was wondering if anyone has any insight or used any of the two later ones i mentioned???

- I use the compressor filler with a gauge built in also and been thinking of getting the presta specific one??? humm.....

Prestaflator - Presta Air Compressor Bicycle Inflator, fits both Presta and Schrader - Prestaflator.com

-J

I did also reference and read this thread as well:
    Why get an air compressor?

My bike mount mounted on my truck bed cover:
    BakFlip plus bicycle mount - Nissan Titan Forum

My truck rear bed divider mod:
    2x8 bed divider - My Thanksgiving Mod! LoL.. - Nissan Titan Forum

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have a couple of the 12V compressors. I bought them a few years back, when they were selling for $29.99!

They work great for low-volume jobs like bicycle tires. I haven't tried to take one to 150 psi, but I have done ~80 psi, and it was fine. They are noisy, but it doesn't take long to fill up two tires, especially if they're only a few pounds low. Also, you don't have to invest in expensive electronics to run it off of your battery, like the AC powered models, and there's no risk of emptying the tank before you get your tires to the pressure you want.

I'm not saying the 12V compressor is a "quality" tool, or that it will last a lifetime. I air up my tires before I leave the house, using my much larger compressor. I bring the little guy along as a backup, or for others to use, just in case. I also bring frame-mounted pumps, as a backup-backup!

Ride Responsibly
    Sales rep for Harbor Freight?
    Seems like overkill, but if it works for you then that's great.
    I was toying with the idea of attaching a hose to my spare tire and using it as an "air tank". Cheap, easy and would air up Mt bike tires all day and still serve as needed if I got a flat on my truck!

mtbr member
    Awesome! Yeah. Bet if you get that thing hooked to an inverter it'd be an awesome package.

I have one of these because from time to time I've had to go and do work (on cars) in the field. It's kind of pricey but I think well worth it for the uses I have.

POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems

One word of caution, using CO2 and Stan's often ends up with them balls of latex in the tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you're just using it to inflate bike tires, I don't see why you can't use a HPA tank for paintball or diving attached to a hose with an airchuck. Compressed air/nitrogen would get rid of any potential problems with stans/slime, and at 3000+PSI, they will have more than enough capacity to fill tires.

That and dive shops (admittedly, not all over the place) will fill the tanks for a song.

For what it's worth, a 12, 16, or 32oz CO2 tank would probably be overkill for bikes, and doesn't command a huge price tag.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    dang...awesome input guys...hummm.....

what to do..what to do....

-J

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasontamu View Post

-J

Buy a floor pump.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright View Post
    Sales rep for Harbor Freight?
    Seems like overkill, but if it works for you then that's great.
    I was toying with the idea of attaching a hose to my spare tire and using it as an "air tank". Cheap, easy and would air up Mt bike tires all day and still serve as needed if I got a flat on my truck!
    This is an interesting idea. All you'd need is an air hose and two chucks; one locking, one non-locking.

How much pressure do you keep in your spare tire?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasontamu View Post
    dang...awesome input guys...hummm.....

-J
    One thing to keep in mind is that the motor on a compressor requires much higher current to start moving than it does to keep moving. That means that any DC-AC converter you put in-line needs to be able to handle the "inrush" current, which could be two or three times higher than the running current. Although it's momentary, it only takes a fraction of a second to burn through the silicon in a semiconductor. Go beefy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    You can have all the pressure you want, but you still need to regulate it, and youll need volume to inflate multiple tires. Youd be better off with a small 12 volt inflator from lowes, etc., nothing to constantly replace, and they will inflate a road bike tire easily to 120.

Jasontamu,
    You say that compressor will not inflate road bike tires, yet I have the same compressor, and it inflates my road bike tires with no problem.

On the other hand, Im not sure I understand why you need this in the back of your truck? For me, I show up with air already in my tires, and ready to ride. If I get a flat on the trail I deal with it there with a hand pump or a co2 inflator.

AZ
    banned
    Another vote for a floor pump.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

You'll be the most popular guy...
    ...at the trailhead

Great idea even though I have never needed any more than floor pump for bicycles, but I can tell you from racing Motos I always had a Nitrogen tank in the Boxvan for filling tires mostly, but have run air tools for the occasional quick fix, like running a diegrinder or drill...

...Oh s88t did I just give you more ideas

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    You can have all the pressure you want, but you still need to regulate it, and youll need volume to inflate multiple tires. Youd be better off with a small 12 volt inflator from lowes, etc., nothing to constantly replace, and they will inflate a road bike tire easily to 120.

Jasontamu,
    You say that compressor will not inflate road bike tires, yet I have the same compressor, and it inflates my road bike tires with no problem.

On the other hand, Im not sure I understand why you need this in the back of your truck? For me, I show up with air already in my tires, and ready to ride. If I get a flat on the trail I deal with it there with a hand pump or a co2 inflator.
    I can fill up ONE road bike tire.....the 100psi cap on this unit is what limits it...volume wise, it can do a good amount of mountain bike tires no problem...

I do have floor pump(S), one in garage and one in back of the truck as well...i rarely ever use it though...the compressor is just butta baby...its nice to have, thats about it! no real NEED..but hey its there and i use the ish out of it...

as far as regulating....its easy, with the inflator i use with dial gauge on it....like mentioned in first post..

-J

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm thinking about hard wiring a MasterFlow Cyclone MF-1040 ($50 at Pep Boys) to air up Jeep tires after wheeling. Anyone know if these little compressors can inflate road tires to 100-120psi? I wouldn't mind leaving the hand pump at home, instead of having it tangled up with all the other bike equipment in the back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Why don't you just get a battery operated Craftsman C3 or Nextec compressor.
    Will inflate my truck tires, mtb tires, and roadbike tires.

Craftsman C3 19.2 volt Cordless Inflator - Tools - Air Compressors & Air Tools - Inflators

Craftsman NEXTEC 12.0 VOLT Inflator - Tools - Air Compressors & Air Tools - Inflators

I have both, but haven't touched the nextec yet since the C3 compressor works so well.

Gary

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

I likey

Quote Originally Posted by GaryH View Post
    Why don't you just get a battery operated Craftsman C3 or Nextec compressor.
    Will inflate my truck tires, mtb tires, and roadbike tires.

Craftsman C3 19.2 volt Cordless Inflator - Tools - Air Compressors & Air Tools - Inflators

Craftsman NEXTEC 12.0 VOLT Inflator - Tools - Air Compressors & Air Tools - Inflators

I have both, but haven't touched the nextec yet since the C3 compressor works so well.

Gary
    Gary what kind of volume do these deliver? Same as one of those cigarette lighter 12v models?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    Gary what kind of volume do these deliver? Same as one of those cigarette lighter 12v models?
    In terms of volume, the OP's solution is better of course - way better. My solution delivers roughly (perhaps a bit more) than the 12 v lighter solutions, but you are only
    pumping up bike tires so I personally think it's not an issue.

I use mine to pump up my truck (durmax full size diesel) tires. The rear tire always lose half it's volume due to a leak in the valve stem, but I can fill 20psi on those large truck tires with a lithium ion full size battery and have enough charge left over to do the rest of the tires. To fill up 20psi on the truck tire may take 5 minutes since the tire (and the volume) is larger than an avg car tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    if you are going to get onboard air, mount a viair compressor. You can mount them so they dont take any bed space. They also have wiring harness kits etc. You can use them to power winches, airbags and air lockers.