Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

adhesive vs. grease for creaking interface?

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Douglas Fir 
#1 ·
This isn't a question about tools, but this group is probably the best to address it...

For whatever maddening reason, my rear derailleur hanger creaks like crazy while I am pedalling uphill (xtr ibis mojo). If I take it off and grease the mating surface between the hanger and the dropout, it will be quiet for a mile of climbing at most, then start creaking again. I have also tried cranking down my skewer, but I can't get it to go away completely.

In desperation, I was wondering about using a weak adhesive compound of some sort, instead of grease, to see if that might work (like a very weak form of loctite). How stoopid is this idea?

Recommendations?

#5 ·
Clean the mating surfaces well and a little silicone gasket sealant will solve your problem. I would check the bracket for a slight bend at the same time, it should fit flush with no clearance...you can use a flashlight to look for gaps.

#6 ·
IPA I had similar once and it drove me nuts!1 I did what 4Jaw suggested, cleaned the hanger and droppout with alcohol and used a thin amount of silicone seal between the two surfaces and tightened the bolt. Attached the wheel and bye bye creak.

#7 ·
Second that

grandsalmon said:
This has worked for my older BB shells in the past and some other interfaces and connections- including end threads: White, non-hardening pipe joint compound. It resists water, but is removeable, remains compliant (no jokes now!),
I use thread compound on threads but mating surfaces like hangers, chian rings, seatposts and stems get white teflon pipe compound if they start making noise.
Chris

#8 ·
dropout might be a part of the story

...cool, thanks for the rec's...now as for the reason why it is such a problem?

ever since I first noticed the noise, I also noticed that there were some imperfections (like a dent) in the surface of the dropout. I have spent some time sanding off the high points around it, but now that I think about it, it seems that the mark was probably from an impact (like dropping the frame) and I think that likely bent the dropout slightly.

my measure and eye have it very slightly off (but seems to mate with the hanger just fine), but will get it into my lbs this week to have them check with tools designed for it...

#10 ·
All great ideas I will put in the bank for later. On another note, the hanger on my Titus Ti h/t was creaking the other day so I used what I had around the garage...Anti-seize paste you'd use on auto bolts and such. Anyone know from experience if this will react badly with my Titanium frame? Creak is gone and for that I'm very happy! -C

#12 ·
Anti seize is the best solution

anti seize is the best solution- glad someone mentioned it.
A note of caution, however- one can thin it down to a heavy paint and find that it works best on bolts of all types.( and gaskets ) The connection does not have to be dissimilar metals.
I caught on to the stuff working in the nuclear industry. Then on/in ocean going boats.

happy trails, DF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.