Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Captain Climber

Which $100ish repair stand?

This one has a ton of great reviews:
    Amazon.com: Aluminum Cycle Pro Mechanic Bicycle Repair Stand Rack Bike: Sports & Outdoors

And this one is a Park stand for a few dollars more:
    Amazon.com: Park Tool Home PCS-9 Mechanic Repair Stand: Sports & Outdoors

Or maybe another? My birthday is coming up and this would be something good for my wife to get and meet the budget.

k_z
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    PCS-10. Worth it.

Captain Climber
    What's the difference between the PCS-10 & PCS-9?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Take a look at Feedback stands. They make some great stands as well.

Captain Climber

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have never personally used this one, but there are a couple of things that I do not like about this particular stand. First is the fixed height. I origninally had a PCS-1 and it was fixed height... and nothing ever sits at the right height so was always bending over or stretching to get to things. The other thing that I don't like about this particular model is the base. it doesn't appear that it would be a very stable base, and it definitely isn't a compact stand when folded up.

If you can afford to invest a few extra dollars, take a look at the sport-mechanic version
    Amazon.com: Feedback Sports Sport-Mechanic Repair Stand (Black): Sports & Outdoors

just my 2 cents...

Please note, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Park stand. I have used them in the past and they are solid stands. Just was throwing out options for you.

Captain Climber
    That's less expensive than the PCS 10 and I like the way it folds up. Thanks for the recommend. I had never heard of this brand before

mtbr member
    This is the one I use and really like it:

Feedback Sports Sport Mechanic Repair Stand at REI.com

I have one as does my brother and my friend and we all like it. I don't spend much time with my bike inverted and even though this stand does the job the mechanism to tighten it down can slip a little if the bike is upside down. Other than that it is made great and just works!

RideDirt
    Feedback is the way to go.

Captain Climber
    Looks like the feedback is the winner here. I had never heard of them before. Glad I ask. Is this one better than the Park PCS 10?
    Amazon.com: Feedback Sports Sport-Mechanic Repair Stand (Black): Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Looks like the feedback is the winner here. I had never heard of them before. Glad I ask. Is this one better than the Park PCS 10?
    That's a little like asking if Chevy or Ford is better

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Having used Feedback and a Park PCS 10, as well as a couple others I say Feedback hands down. If cost is an issue search for a used one.

Fred

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    That's a little like asking if Chevy or Ford is better
    I'm a Chevy guy... Which one should I get?

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    Having used Feedback and a Park PCS 10, as well as a couple others I say Feedback hands down. If cost is an issue search for a used one.

Fred
    I think I'll be getting the $150 Feedback Sport Mechanic stand. Thanks for everyone's input.

mtbr member
    I think I'll be getting the $150 Feedback Sport Mechanic stand. Thanks for everyone's input.
    Good choice!

Captain Climber
    Anybody got a link to a Feedback stand comparison? I found one for park stands but I have decided to go with Feedback as I stated earlier and just want to see the differences in the models. As of now this is the one I'm going to get

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Which $100ish repair stand?

A lot of great DIY options for budget stands that are highly functional. Typically easier to replace parts that route too.

I love my feedback pro stand, but my next one will be a DIY; implying I don't feel that the feedback stand is going to last as long as I would hope.

For stay at home stands, my favorite is a stand mounted to concrete floor, but that's not always an option either.

Captain Climber
    I looked at some DIY stands before and wasn't impressed. Do you have one in particular that impressed you?

I'm hoping the Feedback Sport Mechanic stand I linked to above can hold my mountain bikes in any position.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm hoping the Feedback Sport Mechanic stand I linked to above can hold my mountain bikes in any position.
    Mine certainly does...

Fred

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I've considered doing this. I don't expect my Feedback stand to last over a decade based on some of the troubles I've had with the clamps-and for what it cost-I'd rather rebuilt a DIY for less hassle.

read the blog comments, can help
    DIY BLOG: DIY Portable Bike Repair Stand
    from this thread:
    DIY Portable/Adjustable Bike Repair Stand

mtbr member
    Anybody got a link to a Feedback stand comparison? I found one for park stands but I have decided to go with Feedback as I stated earlier and just want to see the differences in the models. As of now this is the one I'm going to get
    The main difference between the Sport Mechanic, the Classic, and the Pro-Elite is the clamps. The Sport Mechanic is just a simple screw design, turn it one way to tighten and the other to loosen. The Classic has the ability to slide the clamp head in and out, to make it quicker. The Pro-Elite clamp has even more features. The Classic and Pro-Elite also have quick-release style adjustments for folding up the legs for storage, while the Sport-Mechanic has thumbscrew type. The adjustment knob on the back for adjusting the rotation angle is different on the Classic and Pro-Elite as well, the design on those makes it easier to tighten it down versus the Sport-Mechanic. The Classic and the Pro-Elite are red, while the Sport-Mechanic is black. There may be some other differences, but that's all that I know.

Captain Climber
    Amazon has these for $135 now... Just ordered one

mtbr member
    I bought one after a couple of cheap no name stands from RAD cycle. They served their purpose but they always had frustrating issues.

You will love the feedback sport-mech and you paid $15 less than I did great deal on that!

Captain Climber
    Got it yesterday. This is a nice piece of equipment. Very stout and well built! Much nicer and bigger than I thought it would be.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm curious why you guys seem to prefer the Feedback to the Park Tools? Not saying you're wrong, just curious what features impress you more.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast