MC MasterShake

Yeah! New ML just arrived.

I just got my XS Grey ML frame w/RP23 in. What a sweet looking frame. It just got delivered to my office. I don't know how I'm going to work now with it staring right at me. I have everything I need to put it all together. I may have to get the bike lights charged up for the virgin run. I'll make sure to take pics.

ಠ_ಠ
    I got mine sent to the office too. I was so excited I had to show my ass't and my partner - they looked at me like was crazy for being so pumped about a bike frame...

Congrats and enjoy it!

MC MasterShake
    Yeah, same here. People are coming into my office for stuff and they see a big box with bike parts and a frame sticking out and they're like WTF

BTW,
    Which hole is 4" and which one is 5"? I'm assuming the top hole is 5".

"El Whatever"
    Big Congrats, bro!!!

Same with my Blade and my AM1 and such... LOL, people at my office KNOWS I'm a bike junkie.
    Check my Site

ಠ_ಠ
    top hole is 5" mode.

"Its All Good"
    oooohhhhh Yeah, enjoy putting her together, that virgin ride is great, can never have that feeling again like the first time...Mah ha ha ha ha

Enjoy, show us sime pics when she is built.......

Best of luck.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

screamer
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    I got mine sent to the office too. I was so excited I had to show my ass't and my partner - they looked at me like was crazy for being so pumped about a bike frame...
    Just be glad you don't work from home like I do. Imagine trying to get stuff done, resisting the impulse to go out and gaze and the bike every 5 minutes.

Congrats on the new bike woodyak! Rip it up & tell us how it all goes!

mtbr member
    cool man.. thanks for the repeat business
    enjoy!

MC MasterShake
    Well here's the best picture I could get at 1 in the morning. I got this thing together pretty quick. I cut the rear break cable too long and forgot to put on the boot and I didn't get the spacers for my front der. but I got it together for a ride. Here are the specs:

XS Grey Moto-Lite frame@5"
    Fox RP23
    Marz AM1 @ 5.5"(painted black)
    DT 5.1 Wheels w/Hadley rear & Hope front (Gold)
    Kenda BG/Nevegal Tires 2.3
    Thompson seatpost and stem
    Avid Juicy 5 (185mm)
    Monkey Carbon XC
    King headset
    XT Crankset & Ders. & Cassette
    Time Atac Pedals
    WTB Saddle
    Bathroom scale weight - 29/30 lbs.

I can't give a full ride report because my Hadley exploded half way into my ride but I'll report on what I did. The maiden voyage trail is a pretty fun bit of singletrack. It has some longer technical climbs, some good downhill then quick uphill sections, some small/med drops and a minimal amount of fireroad. The day was kind of hot and very humid. The horseflies and mosquitos were conspiring to drive us crazy.

First off the bike is very well balanced. I felt comfortable on it the first time I threw my leg over the saddle. I probably have it set up more slack then most with an AM1 in 5.5" mode but I'm used to a Quasi w/the AM1 in 6" so it worked well for me. I started out on the fireroad. I played a bit with the propedal, which is I don't see using a lot of on our trails. Then we got to the singletrack. The first part is twisty, rooty, muddy. It was especially slimy today since it rained in the am. The ML handled it like a champ. I felt like I could throw her around a lot more than the Quasi. I did notice that it was trickier to keep the rear tire down than the Quasi. My Quasi had a fat ass w/a Vanilla RC on it so I think that contributed as well as a pretty plush 6" of travel. Next came a short rooty climb to a slimy rock that you have to balance on just right to cross the stream. I usually don't make this but I did this time Then comes a long rocky, rooty technical climb. At this point I was starting to adapt to the bike. It handled it like a pro. This is also when I realized the trails were really really slippery so I dropped tire pressure and played with the shock a bit to compensate. After not making the really steep end of the climb (too slimy today) we grabbed a short fireroad trail to fun drop I like to do. It starts off on a big rock that you roll down to get some good speed and then drops about 4' into a semi-transition. It's a perfect roller but if you miss your hitting trees at speed. When I hit it I didn't miss the 6x6 of the Quasi at all. I was kind of suprised.

Next up a really long steep slippery rocky climb to a ridge. This one is very doable but leaves you gasping for air at the top. This is where I learned that propedal is not a good idea on really rocky slippery climbs. When I started the climb w/Propedal on I was flying up the hill, then I hit a rocky slippery section and got bounced. It took me a bit to recover w/used a lot of energy. I ended up stopping and turning PP off. This helped a lot because my traction was back.

Next up a series of fun rollercoaster singletrack that is very technical. So you get a lot of speed and have to deal with big rocks and tight turns and steep climbs and descents. This is where the bike showed it's ass. I rocked it. My buddy is usually a bit ahead of me because he's in sick shape but he dabbed on a tricky part and I blasted right past him and kept it going. I actually felt faster on the ML than on the Quasi for the fast stuff. I felt like I could throw the bike around more. I felt more in control instead of being along for the ride.

Next we both kind of hit the wall. The humidity and bugs were really getting to us. I could barely see straight but we pressed on The trail ahead is the most technical and climby section of the ride. I pretty much bonked here. I made a couple of the climbs and the others I couldn't get my stuff together to make a real try We finished off this section gasping for air and relief from the bugs. Fortunately, we got it. The breeze picked up and the next section was on much higher ground. This starts off with some hard but fun singletrack climbs and then it's a rollercoaster of big rock stuff, drops, steep slickrock climbs and rollers, drops, etc. It's VERY technical and my favorite stuff. I started off great. I made the climbs and the stunts. I did the scary roller and made the really hard slickrock climb then all of a sudden the chain kept popping off. At first I blamed it on my lack of front Der. but it got worse and worse. I stopped and looked at my bike and my hub had way too much play. After trying a few repair attemps we ended up taking the highway breakdown lane back to my car. That night i took it apart and I found one of my bearings had exploded.

I just finished throwing my old and busted wheel on it and my front Der. so I'm ready to go, if I could just get someone to watch my kids!!! Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a full ride on it w/o interuption.

So in summary, the ML has more than met my expectations. It will be a good replacement for my Quasi. I will need to get used to the lack of slack and learn how to keep my rear wheel on the ground but I don't see that as an issue. After riding this I do have a strong respect for the Quasi. It really is a great bike that climbed well, dh'd well, and is built like a tank. But, I'm looking for more speed, more energy for longer rides, and more control. It looks like the ML is going to do the trick

Thank you for listening...

p.s. If you know anyone looking to buy an XS Quasi frame w/ a Pushed Vanilla RC let me know. I'll be listing on this board and probably e-bay in the near future.