Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Hope y y y am i so heavy

Why am I so heavy.... what shall I do ?~?

It's 32 pounds and the average All Mountain bike weight but interested in where weight can be saved or where it is. My bars are the correct AM width... but I'm too heavy at 220 lbs.... so all loose 30 pounds (not sure if I can but I should ) to get to the AM average. I read about all these light ML builds and wonder how I gained so much weight....

I'm looking at maybe a new fork when I get more info on 08 models, but happy with what I got. So far I like the changes to the 08 Fox 32 air spring series. Any comments appreciated. I guess my objective is really rough XC so I can loose some weight and avoid further injuries for the near future (well the odd DH run would not go astray ). Terrain is steepish ups and downs and on the rougher side. The Roco air is 347 grams and will keep it on and sell the DHX C.

the spec:

Titus Moto Lite, medium
    07 Marzocchi Roco Air
    06 Marzocchi All Mountain 1
    Mavic 819 rims
    Geax Sturdy 2.25 UST tyres
    07 Juicy 7 brakes 185 rotors
    Thomson X4 90mm, 0 degree stem, 7.5mm spacers under
    Truvativ Hussefelt, 35 rise bar, 680 wide
    ODI Rogue grips
    Thomson Elite seat pole, 330mm i think
    Spec Rival 143 cromo saddle (need new saddle soon)
    07 X9 rear D med cage
    07 X7 shifters
    06 XT front D
    XT Crank 22/34
    Candy SL pedals
    e.thirteen bash guard
    XT 11-34 cluster
    XTR chain

mtbr member

Bet you could lose 2 pounds

If you changed your fork, tires and seat.

Veni Vidi Vici
    You can slash some weight with your crank (XTR), saddle ( try looking at Gobi Fizik ), fork ( use Demo's favorite Fox talas 32 ) that is easy - 3 lbs

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Looks like XT hubs?

I bet you could drop 1.5lbs with king hubs and some carbon bars.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    seat.... not all that heavy at the moment.... but

spec says the 143 Rival is 290 grams (what I have now)
    the Rival SL is 235 grams which could save .121 lb
    the Laser V's are around 240 grams as well ?~? I like seats with sag

tyres.... i think duly says these actually weigh 900 grams but feel much lighter rolling, and seem to out-roll and feel better than much lighter 2.1 Xmarks I tried (don't know why). They have such good grip for my terrain as well.

I don't think all find a lighter UST tyre that rolls as well and can handle rough terrain, so I might keep using these. Tubes do not agree with me and I would only run UST tyres for safety. I have burped but never complete failures like demo_slug has. I have however had catastrophic pinch flats DH on tubes. I am careful not to use a real wide floppy front tyre as my rims are only 19mm inside dim.

Thank-you. and please keep suggestions and comments coming

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Looks like XT hubs?

I bet you could drop 1.5lbs with king hubs and some carbon bars.....
    bars... these weigh 337 grams apparently
    I believe the carbon FSA Gravity's are 230 grams .... .235 lbs there and wider

XT hubs... I never have paid attention the hub weights or hubs for that matter. I suppose XT hubs are not the flashiest around.
    All have to look up weights, I know Shimano hubs appear heavy as they include skewer weights but all have to look into new hubs soon and real weight differences.

Training for vacation

Ditto on what they said

Although you wont save significant weight on a more from Xt to XTR cranks, 60 grms or so. Your seat post is fairly light for its application and you seem to like your tyres. Not sure about your HB but for 200+ elbows i wouldnt try to save 50 or 100 grms here.

NOt that i know you or your physical condition but a gut check would be the cheapest and best way. A change in diet (as a lifestyle not as temporary) can have dramatic effects on the belly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gte819s
    Although you wont save significant weight on a more from Xt to XTR cranks, 60 grms or so. Your seat post is fairly light for its application and you seem to like your tyres. Not sure about your HB but for 200+ elbows i wouldnt try to save 50 or 100 grms here.

NOt that i know you or your physical condition but a gut check would be the cheapest and best way. A change in diet (as a lifestyle not as temporary) can have dramatic effects on the belly.
    Yup... all keep XT cranks (well mine stay tight anyways)

You hit the nail on the head that I have been avoiding... time to change the diet.

I never have been 'on a diet' as I always knew any fad diet would not stick and I would hate it. My weight crept up due to some injuries, but my fat distribution is very good so no 'big belly' really popped out to alarm me. I have been thinking of diet changes for months now....

ಠ_ಠ
    Juicy 7's are not the lightest brake out there. if you had some aussie dollars burning a hole in your pocket, get some formula oro biancos -- 7 inch front, 6 inch rear.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    Juicy 7's are not the lightest brake out there. if you had some aussie dollars burning a hole in your pocket, get some formula oro biancos -- 7 inch front, 6 inch rear.
    Yeah, but that's expensive...

We need to lose those AM's, mate... They're over five nice pounds. If just Fox could bring up some fork with a comparable A2C... A pound less of fork and we're golden.

Vanilla and XC700 are looking good for 2008...

And no, Duly, suspension is never too expensive.

You could lose some weight too at the tyres... but WHY ON EARTH if the Sturdy's make you happy????

I gotta tell you... You're being either:

a) A gear ho' trying to justify himself
    b) A weight weenie (I'm burning to use a Fo'ism, but I won't)
    Check my Site

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    bars... these weigh 337 grams apparently
    I believe the carbon FSA Gravity's are 230 grams .... .235 lbs there and wider
    raceface next LP caron risers are 184g. Thats 150g difference which is .33lbs.

XT hubs... I never have paid attention the hub weights or hubs for that matter. I suppose XT hubs are not the flashiest around.
    All have to look up weights, I know Shimano hubs appear heavy as they include skewer weights but all have to look into new hubs soon and real weight differences.
    Your lookin' at about 450g for a XT rear hub. compared to 268 for a king. 182g difference or .4lbs.

So bars and hubs woudl knock 3/4lbs off your bike without affecting performance (maybe even improving it). Youd want to replace the bars occasionally though.

mtbr member

WTB Weirwolf

I just put a 2.1(which actually measured 2.125) UST Weirwolf on my rear that weighed 726 grams on my scale, that is almost 175 grams lighter than your current tires, 350 grams for both tires. I think they roll pretty good and they last a long time. Also, why do you need a 7" rear rotor. Change that puppy to a six incher and quit locking up your rear!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    We need to lose those AM's, mate... They're over five nice pounds. If just Fox could bring up some fork with a comparable A2C... A pound less of fork and we're golden.

Vanilla and XC700 are looking good for 2008...

Finding a fork for me is like picking the lesser of the evils.

I tried a 505 fork and a 508 fork on the ML... I tried adding spacers, removing spacers, stems up, stems down, bars backwards, stems sideways.... I just could not dig short forks.

For 32, Fox makes apparently the best high speed damping and weight so should I get one and live with it ?~? I believe 36 Talas is a no no.... but 130 travel would be good for climbs and windy work and 160 only in the steeps to keep me happy. Then I think Pike because it's a reasonable height but if it's the same damping as the Rev I know it won't agree with me. My 06 AM is very stiff at 140mm travel and the height works for me. High speed damping is a bit off colour, but I changed to "6.25" weight in TST and did feel much better....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    raceface next LP caron risers are 184g. Thats 150g difference which is .33lbs.

Your lookin' at about 450g for a XT rear hub. compared to 268 for a king. 182g difference or .4lbs.

So bars and hubs woudl knock 3/4lbs off your bike without affecting performance (maybe even improving it). Youd want to replace the bars occasionally though.
    Unfortunately, Next carbon's are not wide enough. I need at least 680's.

I remember looking up my 756 6-bolt hubs and the weight included the skewer. I guess a skewer weighs around 60 grams ... so that puts it around 390g vs. 268g but much better performance with King. Hope Pro 2 hub 298g and much cheaper.

Veni Vidi Vici
    XO Rear der, xo trigger shifters, Magura sl brakes, thomson masterpiece....

Veni Vidi Vici
    AM, whats your hubs?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    I just put a 2.1(which actually measured 2.125) UST Weirwolf on my rear that weighed 726 grams on my scale, that is almost 175 grams lighter than your current tires, 350 grams for both tires. I think they roll pretty good and they last a long time. Also, why do you need a 7" rear rotor. Change that puppy to a six incher and quit locking up your rear!
    I have never used a WTB tyre and don't know anything about them. I don't recall any locals using them here either

Prefer to use 2.25 to 2.35 tyres

I like my 7" rear rotor . Juicy's are not very powerful so it's not all skids in the rear. I can control the rear brake easy enough by instinct at the lever. I really should use an 8" up front though (that tells you Juicy's are not that powerful). I would like Formula brakes, but cannot afford at the moment.

From what I understand (besides descents), rotor size has something to do with how powerful your brakes are and what tyres you use. Heavy and really grippy tyres could use larger rotors than light or less grippy tyres.

Training for vacation
    As it stands your three largest potentials of weight loss are the fork, tyres, and (possibly) the hubs. It seems you are happy with what you have so Ph uk it, ride it and be happy. Or spend more money and 'invest' in your happiness. Better wheels are never a bad idea. Either way you got a motolite

You got the right idea, there is no 'going on a diet', your diet is what you eat and is part of your lifestyle.

So is your face
    If you want a lighter fox fork but don't want the shorter a2c, why not get the ventana headset race? That adds like an extra 7mm, or something like that.

Oh and if you want the lighter hubs, hopes are a tiny bit lighter than kings i think, and cost a lot less.
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

mtbr member
    Wheels
    • XT hubs are quite heavy; American Classic / WTB LaserDisc Lite are quite light, but Ive heard their being not too bulletproof. Get Hope Pro II / DT 340/240
    • Tires: hav no idea. But normally you can go a lot lighter here
    • Spokes: someone told me that DT Super Comp is actually stronger for disc brakes application than DT Comp, at lighter weight. It might be the same weight saving of going XT to XTR cranks, but they are part of the rotating wheels, so weight saving here will be more significant

Chassis
    • The fork can go; get Fox 32 TALAS / RS Revelation; Hav noidea abt the shock, though
    • Saddle: personal preference. But at your weight, I am skeptical about Ti rail
    • Handlebar: your choice; personal preference
    • How about carbon rear?

Drivetrain
    • Crank: XTR crank is lighter than your XT, but remember: yours come with 2 chainrings only, so it is possibly the same weight of (or even lighter than) XTR.
    • Brakes: going Magura Marta SL saves you about 9 ounces.

Finish the kit with seatclamp/skewers/seatpost from here
    Last edited by paneristi; 06-13-2007 at 08:46 PM.

thats right living legend
    I say get a 36. I heard it doesn't effect the warrenty?

Watch out for any light peice of $hit saddles. One of the rails "SNAPPED" on mine yesterday! I'm just sitting there pounding away on the peddals and "BING CRACK THUMP!" I've got half a saddle up my ass. garbage! I was holding the foam on the nose with duckt tape cause after not even a yr the cover had completly come off and the padding was next.... so much for titanium.

Anyway I didn't finish reading the thread yet, just seemed like a good opertunity to mention my freak saddle incident. looks like I got about thee posts left... back at it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by barelylegal
    AM, whats your hubs?
    Shimano 756, 6 bolt

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by celluloid hero
    If you want a lighter fox fork but don't want the shorter a2c, why not get the ventana headset race? That adds like an extra 7mm, or something like that.

Oh and if you want the lighter hubs, hopes are a tiny bit lighter than kings i think, and cost a lot less.
    race ....yeah... that's what Chris90210 did

only thing is... I was too frugal to buy the King headset and got Cane Creak S8 instead

I think the King headset has a taller lower though .... but don't really want to get a new one just yet .... I would have to add this cost to a 32 Fox fork

Veni Vidi Vici
    Shimano 756, 6 bolt
    I think you will love sealed bearing hubs

Coors, the american beer.
    lose weight on yourself it sounds cheaper ..

my enduro weighs 33 lbs and i dont want to shed any lbs on it ... rides great.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast