mtbr member

X custom Al pivot nuts and sleeve

what do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    la vida sigue.

mtbr member
    That would like sweet with some anodization! I'm thinking red or black, or a color matching your other anodized bits on the bike.
    Hey, I didn't see that rock there."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by millsm
    That would like sweet with some anodization! I'm thinking red or black, or a color matching your other anodized bits on the bike.
    I think I'm going black ano
    la vida sigue.

K n e e m o i
    I know you're excited about your new frame and all but, I have to put my two cents in for this one.....

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but using aluminum fasteners for those key areas like the shock bolts is just a bad idea, and is a disaster waiting to happen.

If something happens to you because those fasteners failing, Titus will not stand behind it. Now I'm not sure what magnitude of forces those bolts take, but aluminum is a really bad idea.

Yield strength of typical aluminum is around 400MPa, with ultimate strength around 450-500Mpa. Titanium is 800-900Mpa. Stainless steel has ultimate strength around 850-900Mpa.

go with Titanium bolts if you are really that weight weenie....Not trying to smash the party, just stopping you from a possible tragic end on your favorite trail.

Is saving 20-30g really worth it???? I don't think so but I suppose the beauty is in the eyes of its beholder....
    "Prison sports are really fun. I get used as a frisbee, a dartboard, and a second base!" - Kneemoi

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Dadduna....... I agree with every thing you said except you are fogetting it's a shearing problem not a tension problem. So need to compare shear strenghts for those materials.

Also Titus has a tendency to way over build stuff so a rider might be able to get away with substituting 7075 T-6 aluminum in those area's. Some times steel bolts are choosen because they cheap and readily availiable not for their strength reasons. If you look at the example of Chain Ring Bolts they were steel for the longest time and now on the high end cranks they are aluminum because some one figured out that Aluminum could be used with an adequate margin of safety.

Sopwithcamel

mtbr member
    I'll let you know what happens, I'll let my friend test it first joke
    la vida sigue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Question? What kind of Aluminum did you use?

I love Pisgah
    I bet it'll be fine. Its like alum caliper bolts(I've used them on my race bikes since 03. Zero probs to date). After all, the surrounding material is all still aluminum, right? Plus the bolt is still steel, and runs the length of the sleeve.

Also, my old 2 Giant NRS frames use alum sleeve just like this at all the rear pivot points. Still going.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    Question? What kind of Aluminum did you use?
    6061 or 7075 not shure but I'll ask the shop that did them for me.
    la vida sigue.

K n e e m o i
    So what is the weight of the frame?

WITH ALL BOLTS AND FASTENERS THAT IS.
    "Prison sports are really fun. I get used as a frisbee, a dartboard, and a second base!" - Kneemoi

mtbr member

Seems like too much risk...

for too little reward, what did you save 25 grams? This thread belongs on the weight weenie forum!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffunda
    So what is the weight of the frame?

WITH ALL BOLTS AND FASTENERS THAT IS.
    2213g and heres the weight weenies tread for the build.
    la vida sigue.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    That is pretty sweet.

I think my Transition BottleRocket has alloy bolts for the pivots and its a freeride bike, they do screw into a steel sleeve however. It might work out, most reducers on shocks are also made of alloy and they seem to hold up well, they do wear faster though.

Does that go through a bearing or bushing at the pivot?
    Leave no bolt untuned!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLX
    That is pretty sweet.

I think my Transition BottleRocket has alloy bolts for the pivots and its a freeride bike, they do screw into a steel sleeve however. It might work out, most reducers on shocks are also made of alloy and they seem to hold up well, they do wear faster though.

Does that go through a bearing or bushing at the pivot?
    it goes through a bushing.
    la vida sigue.

Ultimated Outsider
    Wont those aluminun bolt and fastener void the warranty?
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

what's that rattle?
    The Horst pivots on the X look a bit bigger than they were on the RacerX and MotoLite. Unless they were made from a really weak aluminum I wouldn't expect them to fail on the first pedalstroke or anything. Black ano is probably a good call - it'll help you keep an eye out for signs of wear or fatigue.
    Attached Images Attached Images