mtbr member
    Jul 2009

X carbon suspension set up

Is anyone running 120mm fork on an X? How much did it change the handeling and is the extra travel worth it? I'm going to be starting a build and want to weigh on my options and I do not know much about the dynamics of changing the travel and how that will change the geometry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have one in my demo fleet and it rides very sweet. The extra fork travel makes it a great all day bike and doesn't have an adverse affect on the handling.

Like all suspension bikes, perfect set up is key.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have one in my demo fleet and it rides very sweet. The extra fork travel makes it a great all day bike and doesn't have an adverse affect on the handling.

Like all suspension bikes, perfect set up is key.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have a 2008 Carbon Racer X and just purchased a 120 Fox RLC with 15mm qr. I was wondering the same thing. It will be a while till I get it all set up and am eager to hear any reviews too. Worst comes to worst, I can shim the fork back down to 100mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    did your fox add a lot of additional height to the front end? What is your current set up?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I don't have the fork yet. It's on the way. Also, I will need to buy a new wheel. So I'm hoping in about a month or so. Right now I have a Rock Shox Reba SL with 100mm. It's just not as plush as the the rear right now. A couple of my friends have 120mm forks with frames that were built around 100mm. They say the extra travel is worth it and really makes the bike stable on the downhill. Cuts out the twitch. The steering is not really affected by the taller height.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    As in turns out, back on May 12 of this year I emailed Jeff Titone and recommend that Titus tweak the X's geometry to accommodate the 120 MM fork. A Fox 32 RLC 120 MM fork weights about 60-70 grams more then the standard 100 mm fork. Also you can remove two 10 MM spacers from the stem so that reduces the weight penalty for the 120 Fork to around 50 grams. Plus you can shave some more grams by using a trick Specialized Star stem cap.

What makes this story more intriguing is that Jeff wrote me back the next day and asked if I didn't think 120 MM of suspension travel front and rear would be better then the 120MM front/105 MM rear travel combination?

To be honest this is a really difficult question to answer because the 120 MM Specialized Stump Jumpers with 120 MM of rear wheel travel were getting a lot of pedal strikes because their bottom bracket height was not high enough.

But the problem is if you raise the bottom bracket to high bike handling and pedal efficiency start to suffer. In fact because the pedal strike problem for was so bad Specialized equipped the next years Stump Jumpers with a 140 MM TALAS fork as a band aid solution to the pedal strike problem.

So reading between the lines it sounds like Titus may have been planning to introduce a 120 mm travel bike for 2011 before the ran out of cash.

Perhaps since Jeff and Mike aren’t working for Titus any more they might volunteer some information on the subject.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Awesome info. I like the idea of 120mm in the front, but I hear such awesome thing about how the X handles I don't want to screw that up. I was thinking of putting the new Sid with 120 on the front. I will be attempting to keep my total bike weight to around 22 pounds if I can.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Don't forget that at proper sag setting about 30% of travel that their is only 14 mm change in axle to crown height between the two forks.

100 mm *.7= 70 mm
    120 mm* .7= 84 mm

You also have to factor in tire height, air pressure settings, stem length, and handle bar width.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Great info sopwithcamel. Are you riding a similar set up?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    When I was building my Racer-X Carbon I considered using a 120 mm travel fork but like yourself I thought it might throw off the handling, so I went with the recommended 100 mm travel fork. Hind sight being 20-20 I wish I would have gone with 120 mm travel fork instead. Here is a picture:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3164/...9449b2af_b.jpg

If I was building my bike again here is what I would change.

Right now I am of running a Ritchey Logic Low Rizer handle bar and a Ritchey Logic WCS 100 MM Stem with Titec Pluto Caron bar ends.

If I had to do it again I would run the 120 MM fork and switch to an Extralite UltraStem OC, a Carbon Flatbar (probably an Easton EC90) with Extralite, KCNC, or Easton barends.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Awesome looking ride! This is what I'm thinking. Large Carbon X and was going to swap the fox shock for a pushed rock shox. 120 mm Sid up front, with possible 15mm quick release to keep it stiff. I was planning on using bar and stem that I currently have which is a XXX light bontrager flat bar and a 90mm stem with a slight rise of 5* I think. I may change my mind on the bars as they do not reccomend that you put bar ends on the XXX lights.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yes Yes - Great Info. I am currently running 80mm thompson 0 degree and monkey xc carbon bar. The cockpit feels good as it is but I'm wonding when I move to the 120mm that its going to sit me too upright. I might have to move to a 90mm. Two of my friends are running a santa cruz carbon blur xc and pivot mach 4 with 120mm forks. The titus has the same 71 degree head angle and they hardly notice a difference in steering. But they do notice the handling in a good way. So I made up my mind and bought the 120. Now I'm looking for a new front wheel.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...95037#poststop

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hey Guys. I finished up the project. I put on the Fox 120 RLC with 15 QR and its is well worth it. The handling is soo much better. Gobbled up a lot of the tehnical stuff here at Santa Cruz CA Demonstration Forrest. So no real effects on the steering what so ever. The front end feels really stiff and stable. My only negative feedback is on steep power technical climbs, I had to adjust my weight and sit as far forward up on the saddle to keep the front end down. I'll post pics later this evening.