Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Goin' Down ain't bad!!!

Woody's ML Resolution

Geeze...just when the Snapped ML Thread was getting interesting.

Woody....let us know how the resolution of your ML Issue goes. I'm sure Chris and Co will take care of you!!!
    Dug-da-Goat

"Oh momma, could this really be the end? To be stuck outside of Mojo with the High Side Blues again!!!"

ಠ_ಠ
    he may gotten a sweet-heart deal with a non-disclosure clause. i think that's what CranxOC got with his Racer-X -- pure speculation.

MC MasterShake
    Boy that thread got crazy, huh?

A deal is in the works. I don't want to say anything until it's finalized.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak

Cool I like surprises.

Goin' Down ain't bad!!!
    Good to hear....hope you can make those rides you got planned.

If any of you guys race, check this out.

http://www.mavsports.com/?id=8

I'm thinking of doing a Sport Duo Team with a buddy of mine. 5400' of climbing in 25 miles. That'll kick ya into shape!!!!
    Dug-da-Goat

"Oh momma, could this really be the end? To be stuck outside of Mojo with the High Side Blues again!!!"

Veni Vidi Vici
    Good to hear that woodyak Hope you get a deal that will work for you

Boy that thread got crazy, huh?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropin%Dug
    Good to hear....hope you can make those rides you got planned.

If any of you guys race, check this out.

http://www.mavsports.com/?id=8

I'm thinking of doing a Sport Duo Team with a buddy of mine. 5400' of climbing in 25 miles. That'll kick ya into shape!!!!
    pedaling uphill is so early 00's ....

MC MasterShake
    Ok. The long awaited deal is finalized. Titus and Hammerhead are taking care of me. Charles went above and beyond to make the deal happen and his efforts are greatly appreciated.

Without getting into specifics on the competitive upgrade details I have a small blue El Guapo w/DHX Air coming my way. We all agreed that the Motolite just isn't going to cut it for me unless I tame my riding (which I'm not willing to do).

However, I haven't made up my mind yet but I'm strongly considering selling the EG when it arrives. The sizing for the small EG concerns me. I like my bikes on the smaller side rather than the larger size. I figure if I sell it I have the opportunity to get into any frame that I want and there are so many options and deals these days that I simply can't ignore. I'm like a kid in a candy store

What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Why would you post on here that you are thinking about selling the frame? If I had been the one working hard to take care of this problem I would think twice about it now. I had read the previous threAd and thought you would be taken care of on replacing the frame. Still, If you sold it why not try it first. Just my thought, please don't throw the book at me.
    Brian

FM
    luxatio erecta

Good job!

Without getting into specifics on the competitive upgrade details I have a small blue El Guapo w/DHX Air coming my way. We all agreed that the Motolite just isn't going to cut it for me unless I tame my riding (which I'm not willing to do).

However, I haven't made up my mind yet but I'm strongly considering selling the EG when it arrives. The sizing for the small EG concerns me. I like my bikes on the smaller side rather than the larger size. I figure if I sell it I have the opportunity to get into any frame that I want and there are so many options and deals these days that I simply can't ignore. I'm like a kid in a candy store

What do you guys think?
    Thats awesome!

Post up some details about what your motolite build was like (stem length, amount of exposed seatpost, # of headset spacers, etc) and we'll compare the motolite to the el Guapo and see how things shake out.

I just went through this myself. When in doubt about sizing, I think a larger frame makes more sense for "in between" aggressive riders. The longer wheelbase will be less endo-prone on steeps and more stable on skinnies and at high speeds. A larger frame allows you to run a shorter stem and get the same distance between the bars and saddle. this in turn centers your weight between the wheels or slightly rearward, whereas a short TT/long stem moves yoru weight farther over the front wheel.

Of course, too big is too big....either way the el guapo will have great resale value, even if you ride it for a while and find it doesn't fit..

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by blooper
    Why would you post on here that you are thinking about selling the frame? If I had been the one working hard to take care of this problem I would think twice about it now. I had read the previous threAd and thought you would be taken care of on replacing the frame. Still, If you sold it why not try it first. Just my thought, please don't throw the book at me.
    Brian
    Sounded sketch to me too, but oh well.

MC MasterShake
    I was just throwing it out there. I haven't decide yet.

the train keeps rollin
    Hah,, when you get the El Guapo, your going to jonse, and build it up..

thats right living legend

Like FM said if it doesn't fit it doesn't fit. But he also makes some good points about the posability of it fitting so I think it might work out perfect.

Trophy Husband
    That blue color is killer.

Speculation is fun, but really no one knows how it's gonna feel until you ride it.

What fork will go on the EG? That will affect ride feel as well.

What are the other bikes on your list?
    Extreme stationary biker.

"El Whatever"
    Good to know they're taking care of you in a favorable way.

Bummer if the EG doesn't fit, but I wouldn't let it go without trying it out first.

If everything goes south, check out the Duncon Akita... heavy, overbuilt, but pretty much like what you're looking for and affordable. I've seen one in the flesh and it's a nice bike, well (over)built, geometry is right with the right shock, etc. It's basically for 4X/Slopestyle but it can go with different travel settings.

Maybe a Bottlerocket too... I haven't seen one, but I figure the Akita will take punishment better. It has THAT much of material. You won't break it.

Good luck! I hope you stay in the family once that beauty gets to your hands.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

What do you guys think?
    I think you knew damn well the failure wasn't a manufacturing defect. I think Charles did you more favors than you deserved.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Thats awesome!

Post up some details about what your motolite build was like (stem length, amount of exposed seatpost, # of headset spacers, etc) and we'll compare the motolite to the el Guapo and see how things shake out.

I just went through this myself. When in doubt about sizing, I think a larger frame makes more sense for "in between" aggressive riders. The longer wheelbase will be less endo-prone on steeps and more stable on skinnies and at high speeds. A larger frame allows you to run a shorter stem and get the same distance between the bars and saddle. this in turn centers your weight between the wheels or slightly rearward, whereas a short TT/long stem moves yoru weight farther over the front wheel.

Of course, too big is too big....either way the el guapo will have great resale value, even if you ride it for a while and find it doesn't fit..
    I had it built up with a 120mm stem w/no spacers and an AM1 set at 140-145mm. I had a good bit of exposed seatpost, enough so the seat was slightly higher than the bars. I could go with a shorter stem but I am concerned about the longer wheelbase. I come from a bmx background as a kid so I like how the smaller bikes handle.

Yeah, I figure it would be easy to sell. I am tempted to build it up but then I'd lose some $ by taking it off the lot. I'll have to look at it when it comes in.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    Hah,, when you get the El Guapo, your going to jonse, and build it up..
    That is highly likely as I am known to be quite impulsive...

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Maybe a Bottlerocket too... I haven't seen one, but I figure the Akita will take punishment better. It has THAT much of material. You won't break it.
    I haven't seen the Duncon Akita personally (looks beefy), but the BR is definitely overbuilt. I've got several buddies on them and they're burly......35 lbs. is realistic with a lighter build.

Woodyak, I agree that if you're being hooked up with a deal on an El G upgrade (which is the right thing to do, btw) that stating you might just sell it immediately is bad form.....even if it's true. The last thing folks that go out of their way to help someone want to see is you sell their frame as soon as you get it. Of course, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit....but you may want to get some saddle time on it before you make that call. Also, not sure what size stem you use, but a shorter stem might help alleviate any issues in TT length. The demand is such that even a slightly ridden El G will still command top dollar.

Cheers,
    EB

Edit: just saw your post about a 120mm stem. Dude, do yourself a favor and put a 100, 90 or even a 70 mm stem on that bike and get the most out of it. I realize the wheelbase issue is your concern, but it isn't that dramatic and the bike will handle so much better with a shorter stem.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    That blue color is killer.

Speculation is fun, but really no one knows how it's gonna feel until you ride it.

What fork will go on the EG? That will affect ride feel as well.

What are the other bikes on your list?
    Speculation IS fun. I love having options.

I have an AM1 w/thru axle. I think that fork would be spot on for the EG.

Short List:
    RFX
    Spec Enduro (very popular around here)
    Nomad (also vey popular around here)
    Transition has some good looking frames

I'm sure the list will grow. I'm probably going to look for slightly used so that will be a large factor in my decision.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    I haven't seen the Duncon Akita personally (looks beefy), but the BR is definitely overbuilt. I've got several buddies on them and they're burly......35 lbs. is realistic with a lighter build.
    Oh, don't get me wrong... I'm sure those are pretty sturdy, neither I was implying they're weaksauce. Not at all.

Here's the Akita, just for the sake of comparison...

http://www.duncon.com/index.php?id=p...5&kat=geometry

But I also think he'll be fine on the EG with your recommendations. 120mm was too much for such a small bike.
    Check my Site

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme

Woodyak, I agree that if you're being hooked up with a deal on an El G upgrade (which is the right thing to do, btw) that stating you might just sell it immediately is bad form.....even if it's true. The last thing folks that go out of their way to help someone want to see is you sell their frame as soon as you get it. Of course, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit....but you may want to get some saddle time on it before you make that call. Also, not sure what size stem you use, but a shorter stem might help alleviate any issues in TT length. The demand is such that even a slightly ridden El G will still command top dollar.

Cheers,
    EB
    I hear you loud and clear. A big issue that I was kind of embarrased to bring up is the $ issue. $ is real tight for me now so spending the $ for the upgrade and then getting the necessary parts is putting me in a real bind. I ran the numbers and if I can find a slightly used frame at the right price and sell the EG for a reasonable price then I can have a bike and not be broke. I've bought a bunch of stuff from him and sent some of my buddies his way so he knows he is appreciated.

So before when I said I could look at any bike that I wanted that wasn't true. I'll really be looking for a slightly used frame (I've actually seen some recently).

I'm sure I could get the EG to fit with some fairly minor adjustments but can I afford it? Maybe, maybe not.
    Last edited by woodyak; 06-28-2007 at 09:14 AM.

Trophy Husband
    A Pearl and V-brake bosses? WTF?
    Extreme stationary biker.

Ti is addictive
    Nice to hear that they have provided a nice solution to you Woody. Please at least try the EG. If you have the fork most of your parts from the ML should switch over.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast