Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

wishlist for HH frames for 05???

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about what to do for the HH for 05
    a few things have come up and who better to ask than you guys...

1) the rp3 is pretty much what everyone orders, guess I should just make that the stock shock and adjust price accordingly

2) offering up pushed shocks for people, we are talking with Darren at Push to figure out the best way to do it, we may offer to have them pay for the service up front through us, then send it in either right away or after they have ridden it some and know what they want to change

3) standard vs freeride lowers, the latter adds a few ounces but is even stiffer and allows for more tire clearance and bigger tires (I can run Blue Groove 2.35s on the freeride lower but not on the standard, Vertical Pros or NBX 2.35s will fit the standard lower for example)
    Part of me wants to just change the spec to the freeride lower but some people are very weight concious, we may just make the switch but give people the option to go standard, we have been doing that lately

4) powdercoat colors, we can use the charcoal metallic grey, the white and blue pc that the motolites are coming in if we want, or, come up with some new colors
    thoughts?
    colors that you guys would like to see as standard?

thanks in advance for your feedback

mtbr member
    Butted down tube.

I'd like to see a forest or british racing green. I'd be interested to see some dark green anondized frames too. I think I've only seen Ellsworth bikes do a green anondized frame. I don't think anybody would be interested in this besides me though but you asked for feedback.

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerheadbikes
    3) standard vs freeride lowers, the latter adds a few ounces but is even stiffer and allows for more tire clearance and bigger tires (I can run Blue Groove 2.35s on the freeride lower but not on the standard, Vertical Pros or NBX 2.35s will fit the standard lower for example)
    Part of me wants to just change the spec to the freeride lower but some people are very weight concious, we may just make the switch but give people the option to go standard, we have been doing that lately
    This is the only complaint I have with the HH100x. If I had known that I would lose my weight weenie tendencies and embrace 2.3 tires, I'd have got this option when I bought mine. Sometime in the future I'll replace the chainstays.

How about a seat tube brace for long legged riders? :-D

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    green ano eh?
    I had one of those in 01
    I like green, but it's one of those love/hate colors, and there are so many shades of green making it even harder

butted dt?
    not likely to happen
    we could have gone with the new shaped dt like on the motolite but for now, have opted to stick with what has worked. It's also one of the differentiating details between it and the Racerx 100. The guys that own the HH like it and point it out as a good reason to go HH vs Racerx100. I sell both, so, it makes me no difference, we sell quite a number of Racerx100s..

Hairshirt Rider
    Freeride lowers - Three years ago riders didnít go for big, fat tires like they do now (I didnít give it a second though when I ordered mine). Better to have the option from the beginning at the expense of a few ounces then to fork over the money later.

Colors - You need an orange pc with metallic flake.

Pushed Shocks? Seems like that's more overhead for you considering that PUSH has an efficient process in place already. Does this offer significant cost savings to the customer?

A warning label - Something that reminds the customer that they are now hooked and can expect to spend gobs of money on bikes till the day they die, and no matter how much they spend, they will never be satisfied.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Can't go wrong with giving the customer extra tire clearance. When I use to run Ritchey 2.35 inch tires when they first came out everyone laughed at them. Now 2.3 and bigger tires are the norm. Even if they run smaller tires and they live in mud country it is a good idea to have extra clearance. Also if a wheel get tweeked it is less likely to rub.
    I also see that many riders stress between a medium and a large. Why not do a size right in between? Or perhaps offer a medium and a large with two different top tube lengths. It seems to me people of the same height often have different leg, torso and arm lengths.
    Good idea to ask for feedback, something a lot of people are not willing to do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

RP3 and Freeride lowers....

as the standard HH package.....if you're ordering the HH over the 100RX you want a great handling trail bike.....not a racer.

Hey Charles.......I have a Titus sticker on my new front triangle (and a Titus headbadge..I like the headbadge, you might want to give a HH owner that option) , but I'm missing the HH downtube decal. Can you send me one?

mtbr member
    the rp3 and freeride lowers is what I am leaning towards as standard config.
    We can always swap out the lowers here at the shop if someone prefers the standard lowers. We do that stuff all the time..

I can send you a dt decal
    we ship the Titus ht badge on the frames
    thanks

mtbr member

Cable Stops

I would like to see the '05 Motolite style cable stops with hydro routing. I would guess the majority of new buyers are going to run discs and those that still want V-brakes could run full housing (beats trying to drill out the stops or using problem solvers for the hydros). Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    cable stops like those will be used..
    when we build the bike we had been boring them out
    more recent frames have had a new style where the right most stop was open
    they have a new one like the motolite I like even better and we will go to something like that

Do It Yourself
    I would rather have the Float R with full custom tuning and advanced piston design from Push than the adjustable ProPedal of the Float RP3. Both are much improved over the older Float shocks though.

The FR chainstays would be very cool. The ability to run larger than 2.2 tires would be a big plus.

Good call Larsey, disc only cable stops would be a very nice touch.

And while I'm dreaming, a HH MotoLite would be insane. Titus built, HH geometry (in 4" mode), FR chainstays, 4"-5" travel and a Push suspension. **pinch** Okay, I'm back to reality now.

Anyway, keep up the great work Charles.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    homebrew

I had a long chat with Darren last night
    he said the RP3 raised their bar and they had to go back and do the new design
    all good to me

We are chatting about all of this stuff in detail with him and trying to come up with some way to make it work for him, me and the customer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    And while I'm dreaming, a HH MotoLite would be insane. Titus built, HH geometry (in 4" mode), FR chainstays, 4"-5" travel and a Push suspension. **pinch** Okay, I'm back to reality now.
    I would really like to see the HH100X become more racey because of the number of sizes that are offered and it's what I want. It would be great if people who want a trail bike could get the HH150X instead of pushing the 100X into a four inch trail bike.

From the HH site:

http://www.hammerheadbikes.com/compa...nterbike04.htm

Titus redoes the Switchblade to be a more burly trail bike.

5.5 rear" of travel with either an air or coil shock, two different rockers to dial in the correct rate for either.
    New oversize and multishaped hydraformed downtube will stiffen the front triangle up considerably.
    They will still offer the Talas adjustable rear shock and rocker but I see most people going fixed 5.5 and a 5" fork (69' headangle)

Speaking of which, we will be offering our own version of the bike called the Hammerhead 150X. Fixed 5.5 rear shock, air or coil and with the geometry adjusted for the new 6" travel single crown forks. We will have our own sizes and our bikes will have a 69' headangle with a 6" fork and a 73" seattube angle) These will be limitted production frames and will have different powder coat colors than the Titus models.

Titus will be doing a lot of things this year to ramp up production and reduce lead times. One of the things they are doing that will help is going to more powdercoat colors: Red, Metallic Blue, Pearl White, Frosty Pink, Baby Blue and Metallic Gun Metal Grey

---------------

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    RP3 as standard shock and free ride lowers are good ideas. Otherwise, I would not change anything else on the frame - it's perfect!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Just chiming in here. I would agree that you should do the freeride lowers as standard equipment. From what I have seen, most people see the HH 100x as more of trail bike than the Titus RX and the freeride lowers fit in with this vision. It also allows you to seperate the HH from the RX a bit more. If you want a light 4" travel racebike, you get Racer-X. If you want a 4" trailbike that you aren't likely to brake, get the HH.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    May be beyond the scope of what you are discussing here, but I would be more interested in a HH if you could rarchet rear travel up to a true 4'. Probably more of a mental thing, but you asked...
    f-

banned
    [size=3]I'm always a lightning rod for controversy so here goes[/size]

[size=3]Why not up date the graphics on your bikes the ones that are on there are pretty tired.[/size]

[size=3]Why not offer your customers more options to choose from?[/size]

[size=3]Why not offer a limited edition with a special paint/anno. job (all black anno. with special graphics) or a special spectrum powdercoat paint job?[/size]

[size=3]Offer custom paint like 70s muscle cars of the oranges, yellows, purples etc...[/size]

[size=3]Why not offer bike builds of maybe an "endurance racing set up" or "epic ride set up" or what ever ya"ll do in Austin set up? [/size]

[size=3]Since your not so stuck in the weight weenie racer boy mold you have a lot of leeway to make the HH 100 anything the customer wants.[/size]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerheadbikes
    I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about what to do for the HH for 05
    a few things have come up and who better to ask than you guys...
    -Open cablestops for hydraulic brakes (or full length outers for people with V's)
    -Seatpost slot on front side of seat tube
    -Different graphics, maybe leave Titus on down tube and put HH stickers on top tube

mtbr member
    more options to choose from?
    I am all for that
    We do offer and have done a bunch of custom powderjobs from Spectrum Powderworks
    and have some samples on the site

We handle the whole thing, no other fs company does that to my knowledge
    as far as build kits, we do whatever the customer wants
    I would feel silly offering build kits listed as "epic trail ride" "race" whatever...

A Guy Who is Going Places
    Color: Whatever is fastest.

Shock: All of our Tituses and Yetis are being ordered with the rp3. I'm considering slapping one on my 575. That said, I have the baase model fox on my rx-100 and that seems to work quite nicely.
    http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

mtbr member
    if we do the titus powdercoat jobs that should speed things up
    I know that their anodizer can be a real time killer...

in the getto
    Love these Hammerhead graphics on the Spectrum painted bike. If you can get them onto a sticker that would be a nice improvement over the current design. Other than that i'm happy as a clam with the bike.
    it's a big sh*t sandwich and were all gonna have to take a bite

banned
    Ok after a nights sleep i think what would really set HH apart would be frame colors that Titus dosent offer something like a XTR grey anno. and for powder coating a Ferrari red or bright yellow, orange, icebox white and a metallic candy apple blue like the 85 IROC-Z's.

as for graphics offer a few choices some folks hate stickers on their bikes others like the factory stickers and others like the nascar look. you could have no graphics or the "oldschool" graphics and then a couple of new ones so that when they order their bike they can really get that one of a kind look. You know how specialized has that reflective graphics on the S-works bikes that when your riding at night your light makes it shine same thing goes for the mavic crossmax wheel stickers.

mtbr member
    a few comments regarding graphics and paint jobs
    I LOVE Spectrum's work, but it can add 150-several hundred to do that kind of work
    most people I don't think could justify the increased cost
    personnaly, I would love to see all the frames have beautiful pc jobs with the graphics and logo clear coated over, it's really pretty

as for decals, part of it is trying to get artwork done
    part of it is increased cost, of having to have multiple decals made up
    we are trying to deliver the best possible product at the most reasonable cost

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by toe-knee
    Love these Hammerhead graphics on the Spectrum painted bike. If you can get them onto a sticker that would be a nice improvement over the current design
    i'll agree the simple graphics look real clean.

the reason i suggest the new graphics and paint is that the current HH 100x looks just like a Racer X that you peeled the stickers off of and slapped a bumpersticker on the downtube.

offering paint colors that titus dosen't will seperate you from titus along with some simple and clean graphics i doubt that the cost will be that much of an increase.

is there no powder coater in austin that you can work with?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast