parts leftover

Why the redundant bikes?

Why would Titus keep the older Racer X and Moto Lite bikes in their lineup along with the new X and FTM? Why not throw the entire weight of the organization behind the new bikes?

Intense phased out the 5.5 with the new Tracer, Turner won't have the TNT bikes in 09 with the new DW designs, Santa Cruz keeps their older single pivots but didn't hold onto both the old and new Blur LT frame designs.

IMHO, it sends the signal that Titus isn't confident enough in its new bikes to entrust the future to them. Additionally, redundant bikes seem bound to confuse potential new customers looking into Titus for the first time. What does everyone else think?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I think pricepoint would be a good reason... they are likely to sell the "older" design cheaper and therefore can meet lower pricepoints for various customers

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    As a retailer, it goes like this. "I have brands X, Y, and Z. All offer kids bikes through high end carbon, good value, somewhat boring possibly. Then I have high end brand A, B and C. These offer the opportunity to purchase from a company of less than say, 30 folks (sometimes less than 2!) They also offer unique approaches, different options, choices, cool factor, often built in the USA, etc. Oh, the cheapest FRAME is about as much as a mid level BIKE from brand X, yikes, maybe I'll go major brand this time.... But look, this year, these guys are offering their older (last years) design, in a bunch of colors, for about $500 less than the previous year. Guess what, Titus gets more folks on their bikes, name gets out there more, they get more high end sale as new riders realize what a great bike it is, and upgrade a year or two later, all without having to sell their souls to do it. I say, great idea!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I think it is a pretty cool idea to just add the new line of bikes. Bike frames are very expensive, check out the new turners if you want one you have to pay a minumum of $2400 for a frame, there is no way I could justify that. Where if I want a Titus frame I can get one for around $1700. Now if I want the latest and greatest design then I have the option to pay more. Also replacement parts will be around longer now that they are keeping the racer-x and motolite for at least one more year. You could also argue that your used racer-x or motolite will hold its value longer since they are still going to be selling the same design that you ride (it isn't totally out of date).

trail fairy
    Agree with ssuperlight here, for replacement parts and ongoing support of the loyal existing customer base, that got them where they are, I think that's a great attitude from a custom brand, leave that to the OEM and some other brands to change and ditch existing customers and expect them to upgrade !

Ventana does this also and they have my respect how they look after there loyal fan base!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Ti is addictive
    I agree that it's a great idea as well. Offer the frames that have given them their rave reviews at a lower price point, and offer the new stuff for the junkies that want newer, better, faster everyother year.

Think of it, you have a company that offers midlevel pricing, boutique pricing, and full on custom pricing.

Also, maybe with the new cash injection, Titus could afford to pay SAPA to get the FTM and X out for release without having to do a mass sell off for cash........with todays recession, lotsa companies expecting to be paid in cash in full for delivery. Not alot of available credit even for longstanding customers in our economy right now.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

parts leftover
    I'm a Titus fan and owner and can't think of another 100mm XC frame I'd rather have than my Racer X. It may, in fact, be a great thing that Titus is retaining them in the lineup, especially for the warrantied parts (although they have an obligation to have parts for the next three years or offer one of the new bikes).

I think that my issue may not be so much the old bikes being available along with the new, as the marketing presentation of the new bikes. I'm a sales guy and know a thing or two about features, benefits, and presentation. Titus hasn't sufficiently differentiated the Racer X from the X or the Moto Lite from the FTM. It hasn't given us a reason to buy the new frames.

Look at what is the same: suspension design, hydroformed tubing, similar travel, similar look, and similar geometry. The only difference according to the website is something called "light rail" (a few folks know what that means) with asymmetrical chainstays. However, the website doesn't contain anything regarding weight or pricing. How is a potential buyer going to make a decision? Are the new bikes stiffer? faster? lighter? cheaper? The presentation contains no differentiating features of the new vs. old, and because there are no features, there are no benefits described for the buyer.

Most other frame-only manufacturers will list both price, weight, and convert features to benefits. For instance, Turner presents the new Flux, the new price, and suggests that you should pay the new (higher) price because the frame features new DW suspension with anti-squat properties. The benefit is greater efficiency and ride quality, according to Turner. Santa Cruz describes the Superlight as minimal, optimized, refined and $1200. The Blur is 5.2lbs, bob-free, and efficient and therefore worth the $600 premium over the Superlight. Honda would like you to pay more for the Civic SI than the EX coupe because it has 197 HP instead of 140 HP and a six speed transmission. What's the benefit of paying thousands more? It's faster.

Someone at Titus should step up in the presentation department and give its fans a reason to order a new bike if they are going to offer the old ones along with the new ones. Specialized has a whole page devoted to why the new Epic is the "fastest XC race bike on the planet".
    Last edited by schlim; 11-13-2008 at 09:29 PM.