Team Bionic Pickle

Why is the Racer X more $ than the MotoLite?

Maybe all the carbon in the Racer X? Just curious.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The carbon link and seat stays are probably more costly. Also, the chain stays are a bit different (hydroformed). Not sure if they are more costly however. I wonder what the price difference was, if any, last year with the all alumninum rear triangle.

G

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    isn't the ML front trianlg made in taiwan?

Do It Yourself
    Anodized finish on the RX probably adds some cost, carbon seatstays probably adds some cost, and the hydroformed chainstays probably adds some cost. I'm not sure about the current situation but in the recent past, the RX was made fully made in-house where the MotoLite has always been outsourced for the front triangles, so that probably added cost.

But in the world of economics, it's supply and demand that sets the price. So bottom line, it doesn't matter what it costs to produce, only what the consumer is willing to pay. And I don't think it's that the RX is so expensive, more like the MotoLite is comparatively very low priced.
    Long Live Long Rides

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdad
    Maybe all the carbon in the Racer X? Just curious.
    I think that the price difference is because the ML is outsourced and the Racer-X is built inhouse. If you check the prices for the Ti or Exogrid versions of both bikes, the ML is more expensive.

Typical Mountain Biker
    Or maybe it's because they have the weight weenies by the balls!
    Dude with a single track mind.

Ti is addictive
    As stated above, Carbonfiber parts, more butted tubing (not just the down tube), place of origin (debatable), anodizing finish, and demand (the weight weenies ball thing).

Bicycle pricing is also based on what the public is willing to pay for ....such frame. Look at specialize, do you really think it cost 3000+ dollars for the CF frame when Ibis can do it for 1800 (probably same factory in China too.. and their labor rate embarass'es Taiwan.)

Look at the recent Titus end of the year sale.... At least 200 dollars off by the manufacturer and then some by the dealer(if you were lucky). Are people p*ssed that they paid 200 bucks more then someone now, doubt it cause those people have had 3-4 months if not more of great ridin.

Titus advertises, Dave Turner barely does. Gotta factor that into the costs. Mind you with the RFX clearout the Homers were trying to say it was cause DT didn't need the money and was passing the savings (LOL). Business in sales is you don't want to get caught with old inventory collecting dust when fixed expenses stay the same(ie delivery of new 07 frames...especially if any changes on the previous year.)

Smaller runs of frame batches will also jack up the prices... Gotta think, in todays mountain biking market, where are the bigger number in sales All mountain or XC.

Peace out...

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by chucke
    Or maybe it's because they have the weight weenies by the balls!
    and by the short curlys

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    As stated above, Carbonfiber parts, more butted tubing (not just the down tube), place of origin (debatable), anodizing finish, and demand (the weight weenies ball thing).

Bicycle pricing is also based on what the public is willing to pay for ....such frame. Look at specialize, do you really think it cost 3000+ dollars for the CF frame when Ibis can do it for 1800 (probably same factory in China too.. and their labor rate embarass'es Taiwan.)

Look at the recent Titus end of the year sale.... At least 200 dollars off by the manufacturer and then some by the dealer(if you were lucky). Are people p*ssed that they paid 200 bucks more then someone now, doubt it cause those people have had 3-4 months if not more of great ridin.

Titus advertises, Dave Turner barely does. Gotta factor that into the costs. Mind you with the RFX clearout the Homers were trying to say it was cause DT didn't need the money and was passing the savings (LOL). Business in sales is you don't want to get caught with old inventory collecting dust when fixed expenses stay the same(ie delivery of new 07 frames...especially if any changes on the previous year.)

Smaller runs of frame batches will also jack up the prices... Gotta think, in todays mountain biking market, where are the bigger number in sales All mountain or XC.

Peace out...

Not sure of the point but, at least "I've seen" just as many, if not more adds by Turner as Titus...

Ti is addictive
    point is no business does things for nothing. Spend money on promotions advertisement and demo days gotta recover in sales or profit per frame sold.

And no BA, I'm not slurring Titus in anyway, I'm just explaining the reality of business. Ya don't get something for nothing and if somebody is willing to pay you more then go for it.

Ya gotta remember I will soon own 3 Titus's and consider myself a Titus devotee whether Chris is there or not. I just chuckle at peoples theories of bikemakers doing there customers favors by charging XXXXX bike. This is the real world people, no body opens a global business just for the sake of being nice. They are looking for profit whether for the individual owner or stockholder.

Paper or plastic?
    point is no business does things for nothing. Spend money on promotions advertisement and demo days gotta recover in sales or profit per frame sold.

And no BA, I'm not slurring Titus in anyway, I'm just explaining the reality of business. Ya don't get something for nothing and if somebody is willing to pay you more then go for it.

Ya gotta remember I will soon own 3 Titus's and consider myself a Titus devotee whether Chris is there or not. I just chuckle at peoples theories of bikemakers doing there customers favors by charging XXXXX bike. This is the real world people, no body opens a global business just for the sake of being nice. They are looking for profit whether for the individual owner or stockholder.
    So, you're saying that this is not a hobby?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    So, you're saying that this is not a hobby?
    It is just sports equipment, You shouldnt have anymore attachment to a bike as you do for a tennis racket, a golf club or a girl friend.

Ti is addictive
    Hobby for me and you (or passion depends on how far you take your hobbies) but for manufacturers it still is a business. Oh well think I've jacked this thread the wrong way, so what other reasons for the extra cost on the Racer-X, Magic fairy dust????

Paper or plastic?
    Hobby for me and you (or passion depends on how far you take your hobbies) but for manufacturers it still is a business. Oh well think I've jacked this thread the wrong way, so what other reasons for the extra cost on the Racer-X, Magic fairy dust????
    I was just being a little sarcastic. Even though a lot of manufacturers are passionate about their bikes, it's still a business and needs to be run as such.

As for Demo, I've seen your ride stats. You should definitely care more about your bike since you seem to be riding it way more than your girl friend based on your climbing stats.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

thats right living legend

Bwaaahhaaaaaaahaaa!!!!!!

I was just being a little sarcastic. Even though a lot of manufacturers are passionate about their bikes, it's still a business and needs to be run as such.

As for Demo, I've seen your ride stats. You should definitely care more about your bike since you seem to be riding it way more than your girl friend based on your climbing stats.

Nice one...

My GF's awsome... man I LOVE my bike!!!..

the 36 year old grom

check this out. sunday I rode every trail at demo... single track up, ridge, down corral, up sulfer, down sawpit, up tractor, up ridge, down braille, then to the parking lot for beers.

in the last 25 days.... 31,000ft of accent. I think the ML works...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Slug

Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    It is just sports equipment, You shouldnt have anymore attachment to a bike as you do for a tennis racket, a golf club or a girl friend.

That is so deep...

and accurate.

Typical Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    check this out. sunday I rode every trail at demo... single track up, ridge, down corral, up sulfer, down sawpit, up tractor, up ridge, down braille, then to the parking lot for beers.

in the last 25 days.... 31,000ft of accent. I think the ML works...
    This is so bizzare. NorCal people are ruling the boards everywhere.

I am SO close to buying a Motolite... The more I read, the more I want one. Maybe I can get Rensho to let me take his for a test ride . I already rode Derek's Racer-X.
    Dude with a single track mind.

RJG
    mtbr member
    Chucke, I was going to offer you my Racer x to ride whenever it's convenient or at the Gap some Thursday night. You should ask Rensho to borrow his Moto Lite for a night or more. I actually bought my Racer x off Rensho so I'm sure the size is comparable. Derek's racer x is 80mm and mine's 100 if that makes a difference(I'm sure I'm about 50lbs heavier than Derek). You've seen my racer x, it will fit you perfect. PM me if you want and you can borrow to compare.
    Rick