Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    60

    Why Buy A Motolite Over A 575?

    My 07 575 was stolen and i am thinking about a motolite. Pro's and con's please. Thanks

  2. #2
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,761
    here we go again

    these guys knows their Titi... you will get the info you are looking for, tkelson

  3. #3
    thats right living legend
    Reputation: blackagness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,378
    The only real reasons I can think of are superior handling, better peddling, snappier climbing, more versatile, and above all IMHO stiffer chassi.

    Other than that, I'd say there's not much difference.




    Edit: The "stiffer" part is not an opinion, the "above all" part is.
    Last edited by blackagness; 07-17-2007 at 04:32 PM.

  4. #4
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,761
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    The only real reasons I can think of are superior handling, better peddling, snappier climbing, more versatile, and above all IMHO stiffer chassi.

    Other than that, I'd say there's not much difference.
    and the cons? (come on you know them..they are minor..but they are there )

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    get another 575, it's the ducks nuts and seems to float your boat

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    60
    what does that mean?

  7. #7
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    718
    Quote Originally Posted by tkelson
    what does that mean?
    He's an Aussie ... I think it means the 575 is an excellent choice.

    I went over this choice myself and went with the MotoLite. I have not ridden a 575 but it has always received excellent reviews. My initial concern was that it is a single pivot design and may be prone to negative traits often associated with that design. The worst in my opinion would be pedal-kickback when pedaling over rough terrain (especially when climbing in the granny gear) and a stiffening of the rear suspension under hard braking. These are generalities and 575 tests I have read have not mentioned of these traits. If it is indeed free of these two nuisances then move on to other factors. If your research tells you the 575 posesses these negatives, go with a good Horst Link design to get a rear suspension that is completely decoupled from pedaling and braking forces.

    Other factors: I believe the ML is a bit lighter (especially the new ML2). The 575 has longer legs and you can easily throw on a 160mm fork if you like (some do it on the ML but it is outside of the intended design). Yeti is offering more colors (the white 575s look tasty!). The 575 frame is cheaper. The ML should be a quicker handler (think Racer-X). The industry appears to be shaping into two categories of trail bikes: 4-5" trail bikes and 6-7" all-mountain bikes with quite a few bikes in the middle. The ML leans toward the former and the 575 a bit toward the latter.

    Good luck with your decision.

  8. #8
    thats right living legend
    Reputation: blackagness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,378
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    and the cons? (come on you know them..they are minor..but they are there )

    OK... your famly life/job/T.V time won't suffer from too much time spent on your bike, if you go with another 575.

  9. #9
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,715
    Quote Originally Posted by tkelson
    what does that mean?
    It means "its the cats pajama's"
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  10. #10
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,690
    Maybe better stiffness for the ML and a firmer pedaling. Cons... Tall tyres may be a problem.

    The 575 shares the mounting hardware of the shock with the rear end triangle structure. Mounting kits for the rear part of the shock have to come only from Yeti... and hardware available is good for Fox, Marzocchi, Progressive 5th Coil and Air and Romic. No go for odd size shocks like Manitous, RS or Maguras. Swapping a shock is not that easy.

    Shock set-up is a bit tricky on the 575...
    Check my Site

  11. #11
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    It means "its the cats pajama's"
    Or something in the guise of "the duck's nuts", "the duck's bollox" or similar.

    I heard there's a proposal to name that dialect "Australiaans"...
    Check my Site

  12. #12
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,443
    575 was WAAAAAY too flexy for me...

  13. #13
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,291
    Quote Originally Posted by tkelson
    My 07 575 was stolen and i am thinking about a motolite. Pro's and con's please. Thanks
    I think that both bikes are pretty good. I can't really compare them since I haven't ridden a 575 (but, I did touch one! for a sec or two, but I did it! ).

    I think if you're considering another bike, it could be a good idea to try an ML, it is a really good bike, and you would get to try new stuff. Good luck on any of your decision, and I'm sorry about your 575.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    33

    Do yourself a favor...

    and spend the couple hundred bucks to demo the motolite for a week from competitive cyclist. I know your just curious of people's opinion but when you narrow it down to two bikes on the top of the food chain all you are going to get is personal preference and bias as to which one is "better". Youve already ridden the yeti so by demoing you can decide for yourself which ride suits you the best. Ive ridden both bikes numerous times ...and they are both nice. Also you can do a search of the forums on this topic and see how exhausted this subject is. My personal preference is the 575, because i like the plush feel of the rear, and the upright as well as a "in the center of the bike" feel of the geometry. For all the great things of the motolite i felt on "top" of the bike and thought the decents were rather harsh...of course my 2 cents...but this came from riding them both and realizing which fit my personal tastes best...
    sorry about your lost...i hate thieves!

  15. #15
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Well it depends on your preferences. I have tried both, I liked both, it came down to fit and preferences on the ride........

    1) Stiffness goes to Motolite over 575
    2) Weight......This is a wash, CF 575 vs ML2 within ounces...lotsa guys with XC builds and AM/Trail rigs for both bikes all within spitting distance of each other.
    3) Cost..........This is also 2 close to call.....right now you can find some ML2 packages very low. Also full retail is within a couple of hundred bucks.
    4) Quality......Wash, both are very good quality bikes no matter if they are Taiwanese welded frames.......I still think that a lot of 575 weld beads are better then anything that comes out of the Colorado factory.
    5) Ride.....All in the eye of the beholder, I like stiff rides. Some like lotsa bounce, some swear by Horst linkages, some think faux linkages are the bomb.........it all depends on personal preference
    6) Fit.......Ultimate deciding factor (or should be) if it don't fit ones body dimensions it will ride and feel like crap, nuff said.
    7) Custom option......Motolite wins hands down, but it will cost you.

    So get out and test ride em both........Guys like Blackie will say Motolite, Guys like Iviguy will say 575. Try em both, but make sure shocks are set up properly. Me I'm bias towards Titus...........cause Yeti no longer makes frames in the material I love.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  16. #16
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,761
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    OK... your famly life/job/T.V time won't suffer from too much time spent on your bike, if you go with another 575.

  17. #17
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp

    Shock set-up is a bit tricky on the 575...
    I agree with the rest of your points...but the setup one... you can change how the bike feels...plusher/livelier...but getting to that preference is not hard...at least not from the posts on the Yeti board.... the "common problem" is that people tend to want an exact number in psi, instead of going by sag....... once you go by sag according to your preference (20-25-30%)...you are good to go...

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GreenBonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Well it depends on your preferences. I have tried both, I liked both, it came down to fit and preferences on the ride........

    1) Stiffness goes to Motolite over 575
    2) Weight......This is a wash, CF 575 vs ML2 within ounces...lotsa guys with XC builds and AM/Trail rigs for both bikes all within spitting distance of each other.
    3) Cost..........This is also 2 close to call.....right now you can find some ML2 packages very low. Also full retail is within a couple of hundred bucks.
    4) Quality......Wash, both are very good quality bikes no matter if they are Taiwanese welded frames.......I still think that a lot of 575 weld beads are better then anything that comes out of the Colorado factory.
    5) Ride.....All in the eye of the beholder, I like stiff rides. Some like lotsa bounce, some swear by Horst linkages, some think faux linkages are the bomb.........it all depends on personal preference
    6) Fit.......Ultimate deciding factor (or should be) if it don't fit ones body dimensions it will ride and feel like crap, nuff said.
    7) Custom option......Motolite wins hands down, but it will cost you.

    So get out and test ride em both........Guys like Blackie will say Motolite, Guys like Iviguy will say 575. Try em both, but make sure shocks are set up properly. Me I'm bias towards Titus...........cause Yeti no longer makes frames in the material I love.
    Good and ballanced summary Ti.
    I wanted to go Racer X (also was able to demo one) since I came from a steel HT and realy considered tight handling and stiffness as very important. The Titus tribe has told me to go ML which was a good advice. I got the Yeti since I could demo one and could not demo the ML. I think the Yeti handles great and I have a refference that I still ride. As for rear triangle flex, I'll say maybe but I don't feel it now that I have stiffer wheels.
    My personal advice will be not to go ML but try the EG. I think that for AM purposes the plushness of the Yeti will be missed. I ride 20% sag and never bottom my RP3 and still the Yeti "irons" the trail for me.
    I am going to seriously test ride ML II that my friend just got and I will be open and honest about my preference but I will not get one since it is "percieved" by me as a "small" bike and more XC oriented. I will sure consider the EG when time comes and especially if Yeti will not offer something comparable.
    I think the Titus tribe that sent me the ML way a year ago, will approve the idea of testing EG the big ML bro.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: golfduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    259
    Just my opinion (yes I am a motolite homer):

    Yeti Pro's:
    - plush, plush, plush.
    - Not twitchy at all in the front end
    - Can be built super burly AM or weight weenie XC
    - The powder blue color is the bee's knees.
    - Felt lighter than it actually weighed in at

    Yeti Con's:
    - Had a slight bit of brake jack on some rough descents (granted, it wanst nearly as bad as other single pivots I rode)
    - The shock had a really harsh platform (could have been the shock's issue though, it was only a demo bike so I never dialled it in)
    - Climbing efficiency didn't feel as strong when compared to the moto.

    Moto Pro's:
    - climbs like a billygoat for a 5" bike.
    - confident handling.
    - Also can be built to be very light or burly, depending on your preferences.

    Moto Con's:
    - 2.35" rear tire clearance MAX.


    The reason I got my moto was only due to the fact that I got a deal and the frame came in Ti. I am sure I would be just as happy on a 575. Good luck

  20. #20
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,443
    [QUOTE=golfduke]built to be very light or burly, depending on your preferences.

    Moto Con's:
    - 2.35" rear tire clearance MAX.

    /QUOTE]


    No, you can now fit a ~2.5. The freeride lowers are now standard, are they not?

  21. #21
    You down with entropy?
    Reputation: esilvassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    313
    [QUOTE=Jwind]
    Quote Originally Posted by golfduke
    built to be very light or burly, depending on your preferences.

    Moto Con's:
    - 2.35" rear tire clearance MAX.

    /QUOTE]


    No, you can now fit a ~2.5. The freeride lowers are now standard, are they not?


    I am thinking that the issue is more with tall tires hitting the seat stay bridge.

    On my motolite I have Panaracer Rampages that are 2.35 (though not really big for that size) and they are getting close, thogh not as close as I have seen tires on other motolites. ( I cannot remember what tire model or who was really pushing the clearance with the bridge off the top of my head)

  22. #22
    MC MasterShake
    Reputation: woodyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,886
    [QUOTE=esilvassy]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind




    I am thinking that the issue is more with tall tires hitting the seat stay bridge.

    On my motolite I have Panaracer Rampages that are 2.35 (though not really big for that size) and they are getting close, thogh not as close as I have seen tires on other motolites. ( I cannot remember what tire model or who was really pushing the clearance with the bridge off the top of my head)
    I had Schwalbe Fat Alberts 2.35 on my ML and that was pushing it. I couldn't imagine a true 2.5 fitting on the rear.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: golfduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    259
    my 2.25 Mibro UST's buzz the seat stay every once in a while on hard, fast drops, even with the FR lowers. I seriously doubt anyone can get a 2.5 in the rear without serious interference issues.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    60
    well i've decided to demo the motolite. thanks for all the feedback and info. in the parking lot, the ml feels more xcish than the 575 which might be a good thing for me. i'll let you know. todd

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    As you already know, the Moto Lite or El Guapo are technologically superior. The swelt precise handling and lateral stiffness of a Titus is major Cool-Aid slashing out everywhere.

    This one isn't as XC as some of the others, but meaner ones do exist:


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •