Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?

94K views 890 replies 75 participants last post by  CharacterZero 
#1 ·
Just finished building my EG and have been on three rides. After finished building my EG I measured my BBH and, to my surprise, it was only 12.6" with Kenda Blue Groove 2.3" tires! It was so low that I swapped the rear with Geax Sturday 2.25 (very tall tire) but BBH still measures at 12.7". Why is BBH so low? Or is this normal? Everyone who owns EG V.3 seeing similar result? Btw, my head angle is measured at 66 deg. Here's my parts spec that may effect BBH and HA:

1. On-One Smoothie Mixer Tapered headset (lower stacked height 15mm)
2. Mavic 819/CK wheelset with Kenda Blue Groove 2.3 front and Geax Sturdy 2.25 rear
3. Marzocchi Z1 Light Bomber 150mm fork (540mm AC height)

Even if I ran 180mm fork (~565mm AC height) I might gain 0.5" BBH @ ~13.2" but that seems still way low. Yes, I am smacking my pedals everywhere.

Attachments

See less See more
#738 ·
I don't want to start another can of worms here. Yes I know of 2 who already got their Lyriks.

1 had his frame changed

Apparently it seems to be different options and answer depending at which point it was asked. Also depending on which side of the pond these refunds/replacement were directed and I would think nicely worded emails wouldn't hurt and probably gets a better/ faster response.

#775 ·
so i guess these 2 guys you know that got their free Lyriks are local to your area, the Philippines? i also assume that neither of them ever were on here? can you give some detail as to just how they accomplished this? who they dealt w/, when they got theirs after they started the process, etc, etc? maybe they could join Mtbr. forums & fill us in themselves to give us real hope that it's worth hanging in there.

#740 ·
I have not been following this thread much, have been pricing forks lately so I know what I am talking about.This is an unreal deal.. Definitely annoying to not have things delivered when promised..hope this gets sorted soon so those that choose to wait for the free lyrik can get out and ride

PS- THAT IS A CRAZY DEAL!!

#741 ·
Yes this is in fact a good deal and thats why I'm waiting, I hope they do get there **** together and I hope what brant says is true. And for the record I have never sent any emails that were even slightly profound or threatening or anything. I have been very nice about the whole thing, its just the last few days of being ignored by CS has lead me here.

#742 ·
Yes, deal is good. But where is CS? Why no emails? Why empty promises?

Meaby this CS what You guys get is normal, but where I live thats just BS...

Meaby this is normal to You Axe, but it's not normal to me! I work with lots of customers! And I know what they get when they are doing business with me! I don't ignore customers, or forgot their emails. I call if there is delays... I keep my customers inform about everything! And I KNOW THAT MY CUSTOMERS ARE HAPPY!

Meaby Axe You should visit my shop, so You know what is good customer service!!

#743 ·
Yes, deal is good. But where is CS? Why no emails? Why empty promises?

Meaby this CS what You guys get is normal, but where I live thats just BS...

Meaby this is normal to You Axe, but it's not normal to me! I work with lots of customers! And I know what they get when they are doing business with me! I don't ignore customers, or forgot their emails. I call if there is delays... I keep my customers inform about everything! And I KNOW THAT MY CUSTOMERS ARE HAPPY!

Meaby Axe You should visit my shop, so You know what is good customer service!!
you are waitig because the frame is a killer deal even before the free fork. i waited 10 months for my chilcotin and paid $2000+ for the frame with no free fork. move on and pay up if you want a frame today. a free fork on a $1000 frame for a wait is a smoking deal.

fawk, on-one is losing their shirt on this deal. so you expect what exactly? you are getting a frame that is selling for $800 and they are throwing in a fork valued at ?? 750? and you are complaining??????????????? seriously, at this point on-one has admitted they've fawked up. they are giving you a fork and you are still whining???

if you aren't happy, get your money back and move on. but obviously you know an amazing deal when you see it so sit back, shut up and wait for it

#744 ·
Hi normally I would normally just ask the company responsible directly for these sort of technical questions. However after receiving an email from on-one today on a completely different matter and getting one incorrect answer and one question not answered properly I hope people don't frown upon me asking this here.

I know the correct v3 frames need a 170mm fork to achieve the correct geo but is this with a ZS or with a EC with 15mm a bottom stack height of 15mm i.e, On-One Smoothie headset?

#745 ·
Official on-spec dimension dictates an EC lower cup (Smoothie Mixer).
However, in a curve ball to all this discussion about static height and on-centre or a bit below, our great friend Ed Oxley at Greatrock, since yesterday, is now happily riding around on a current El Guapo SRAM X9 26in wheeled V3 complete bike with a 160mm Lyrik fork, "no pedal strikes" and he loves it.

#750 ·
Hmmm...

I got an email yesterday from on-one...

"Another problem we have is that the super raw frame is out of stock and we don’t currently have any on order."

How this can be possible? Where did my frame disappear? I've been told that my frame is waiting that fork and caboom! No frame and forks are coming till mid June?

#751 ·
Hmmm...

I got an email yesterday from on-one...

"Another problem we have is that the super raw frame is out of stock and we don't currently have any on order."

How this can be possible? Where did my frame disappear? I've been told that my frame is waiting that fork and caboom! No frame and forks are coming till mid June?
What size frame?

#753 ·
Just got off the phone with CS, I asked if I could come by the shop today and pick my frame up so I can at least start my build while waiting for the forks. The guy told me the forks have again been pushed back to the 14th of June but this date is "not 100%" so I told him that brant said yesterday the forks were "mid-air" to which he said he knew nothing about and would have to check with brant.

When asked if I could collect my frame he said he wasn't sure because if I take the frame today then they (and I quote) "may never get the forks in"

Make of that what you will, he said he would get back to me about picking it up, so we shall see.....

#754 ·
Just got off the phone with CS, I asked if I could come by the shop today and pick my frame up so I can at least start my build while waiting for the forks. The guy told me the forks have again been pushed back to the 14th of June but this date is "not 100%" so I told him that brant said yesterday the forks were "mid-air" to which he said he knew nothing about and would have to check with brant.

When asked if I could collect my frame he said he wasn't sure because if I take the frame today then they (and I quote) "may never get the forks in"

Make of that what you will, he said he would get back to me about picking it up, so we shall see.....
Ben. I'd like to apologise to you and everyone else for my misinformation about the forks being "mid air". That was the situation as I understood it, as I know the forks have completed and were shipped to our agents. I will seek to find out accurate landing times and what the issues are.

As to our staff saying that we may 'never get the forks in', that's a message I'm concerned to hear that they are giving out - it's certainly not the case.

#770 ·
Okay thank you, sorry I wasted your time. I'm sure i'll hear nothing back from the shop, who have my frame which I have paid for, but won't let me have. cheers, great.

I can highly recommend on-one! they are so great, the customer service is top notch.
I see you're actually *in* Rotherham.

If you can email me your details to brant at on dash one dot co dot uk I'll see what I can do for you.

#776 ·
Got the EG with that low BB...bought a few months ago, just have accidentally found this theme.
Suspected that smth was wrong with it before:skep: but thought it was becouse of slackset installed (and short fork - sektor).
Now it has ~ 0 BB drop with external headset and long 170 mm Marzochi fork.

Will the CS send me replacement chainstay ? I`m in Moskow, Russia.

#777 ·
have any of you out there seen the latest MTBR writeup on the Pivot Firebird 27.5? the first page has a couple paragraphs that should be required reading for the powers that be at On One/Titus. not that i think it would do any good, but hey...if only...

#780 ·
I see on the on one FB page that Titus is testing rockers on the tr26 with cddb... Since we're already waiting for our el guapo's why not use the opportunity to fix the fouling of the cddb air can in 'progressive mode' and ship them out with this mod at the same time... Just a thought... This suggestion is of course posted with the proviso that no further delay is caused by it...

#781 ·
I see on the on one FB page that Titus is testing rockers on the tr26 with cddb... Since we're already waiting for our el guapo's why not use the opportunity to fix the fouling of the cddb air can in 'progressive mode' and ship them out with this mod at the same time... Just a thought...
Because the CCDB doesn't need running in progressive mode to be made more progressive. It's just mixing bolts around for no reason.

Need more progression, then shim the air can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.