Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    my Lyrik black got shipped out on Tuesday.
    Hope it gets to me soon.
    I wonder which Lyrik are they shipping to me? Lyrik Solo Air R or Lyrick RC2DH? haha

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny78 View Post
    My corrected frame is sent out today, waiting for tracking number.
    Did you send them your old frame ?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydesg View Post
    my Lyrik black got shipped out on Tuesday.
    Hope it gets to me soon.
    I wonder which Lyrik are they shipping to me? Lyrik Solo Air R or Lyrick RC2DH? haha
    Hydesg,

I believe I was told that it's the solo air version of the RC: Lyrik RC | SRAM

but if you want to upgrade to the mission control RC2DH damper, they're (at least in my eyes) pretty cheap to upgrade: Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Lyrik Internal Fork Parts

Personally, I've grown attached to having a lockout with blowoff, so i'll probably be looking at the RC2L MoCo damper: Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Motion Control Dampers (note: not 100% sure that's the right damper, will do more research before I buy)

even then, I've not heard anything bad about the RC damper. I just want my lockout.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Groghunter View Post
    Hydesg,

but if you want to upgrade to the mission control RC2DH damper, they're (at least in my eyes) pretty cheap to upgrade: Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Lyrik Internal Fork Parts

Personally, I've grown attached to having a lockout with blowoff, so i'll probably be looking at the RC2L MoCo damper: Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Motion Control Dampers (note: not 100% sure that's the right damper, will do more research before I buy)

even then, I've not heard anything bad about the RC damper. I just want my lockout.
    yeah, its the RC version. you getting a straight or tapered version?

anyway for RC2L... its mission control with floodgate. moco damper is only in R and RC version.

i wonder if we need the new dual flow rebound damper upgrade too?
    reading only suggest moco damper came with old rebound damper. anyone have any info if the RC came with the new dual flow rebound?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hydesg,

Did some more research, and what you acutally need is the non-DH MiCo damper for lockout/blowoff: RockShox 2012 Lyrik Mission Control Compression Damper w/ Floodgate - AEBike.com

better prices might be available with some searching.

edit: oh, and you can pull the damper out, remove the floodgate assembly, and get what's essentially the DH damper, so unless you're really sure you don't want the floodgate, I'd go with this option.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadica View Post
    yeah, its the RC version. you getting a straight or tapered version?

anyway for RC2L... its mission control with floodgate. moco damper is only in R and RC version.

i wonder if we need the new dual flow rebound damper upgrade too?
    reading only suggest moco damper came with old rebound damper. anyone have any info if the RC came with the new dual flow rebound?
    My research suggests that you do need the dual flow rebound, as there is a shaft size incompatibility otherwise. I'm not sure what comes in the RC.

I don't know what fork I'm getting yet, as last news I had for US customers, the forks haven't landed yet. I'm calling Michael tomorrow to get an update.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Did some more research, and what you acutally need is the non-DH MiCo damper for lockout/blowoff: RockShox 2012 Lyrik Mission Control Compression Damper w/ Floodgate - AEBike.com

better prices might be available with some searching.

edit: oh, and you can pull the damper out, remove the floodgate assembly, and get what's essentially the DH damper, so unless you're really sure you don't want the floodgate, I'd go with this option.

My research suggests that you do need the dual flow rebound, as there is a shaft size incompatibility otherwise. I'm not sure what comes in the RC.

I don't know what fork I'm getting yet, as last news I had for US customers, the forks haven't landed yet. I'm calling Michael tomorrow to get an update.
    yea, read about that too... i likely need the floodgate too for climbs... no shutter service of any kind ...all leg powered

well, the only way is to wait the arrival and see if they equipped with the new rebound damper.. if yes.. it gonna save alot of hassle from removing the lower.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadica View Post
    yea, read about that too... i likely need the floodgate too for climbs... no shutter service of any kind ...all leg powered

well, the only way is to wait the arrival and see if they equipped with the new rebound damper.. if yes.. it gonna save alot of hassle from removing the lower.
    Just found this: BTI | Suspension Fork Service Parts from Rock Shox (page 1) BTI only lists one rebound damper, that's probably as good a sign as any that it's the upgraded damper.

mtbr member
    Hit up the guys on the Knolly forum. They have all been getting Avalanche Racing cartridges for their Lyrics with the RC2DH cartridges. The Avy cartridge replaces the stock RS cartridge so a lot of these guys have the damper and rebound assembly sitting in their parts bin. I picked one up for $80 and popped it in an a OEM Lyric R I picked up on ebay new for $400.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    either that or go avalanche!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    That would be more than $100.

DH damper is quite nice.

mtbr member
    i still have a hard time believing i need a $427 avalanche upgrade on a decent fork like the lyrik. it's not perfect, but i can't see it being $400 better after the avy upgrade. check pinkbike, i've seen dh dampers there for $100.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?

Lyrik fitted this morning, BB drop now looks to be spot on. Just need to get out there and see how it behaves

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    man, what a nice bike!
    Fork looks long though.

Quote Originally Posted by TypeR View Post
    Lyrik fitted this morning, BB drop now looks to be spot on. Just need to get out there and see how it behaves

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

man, what a nice bike!
    Fork looks long though.
    Thanks fella, they do look long compared to the 150mm Fox I had on there. It doesn't feel much different to sit on to be honest, should hopefully get out on Sunday to see how it rides

mtbr member
    i wish that they worked well with the 150mm fork and i would have bought one for my wife. just dont want to spring for a new 170mm fork to match up to it. maybe next year

that orange and black combo looks good

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Lyrik fitted this morning, ***BB drop now looks to be spot on.*** Just need to get out there and see how it behaves

so what's your BB height? 13.25"? please measure it.
    w/ the Flows & tires you've got, i'm guessing pretty close to that, + or -
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Looks very nice! I haven't got mine built up yet, taking my time about it as I'm waiting for my wheels.

Did you fit your shock or did it come like that as it is the same way mine was fitted but I found you cannot turn the compression leaver to lockout as hits the pivot mount? If you look at the photo from On-One below the way that is mounted you can still turn to lock out.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/imgs/product...ELGUV3_P10.jpg

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    i wish that they worked well with the 150mm fork and i would have bought one for my wife. just dont want to spring for a new 170mm fork to match up to it. maybe next year

that orange and black combo looks good
    FTM Carbon? with Orbit E zero stack lower (if it is a tapered fork).

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    so what's your BB height? 13.25"? please measure it.
    w/ the Flows & tires you've got, i'm guessing pretty close to that, + or -
    Just measured it and it's exactly 13inches so not far off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by fr0sty125 View Post
    Looks very nice! I haven't got mine built up yet, taking my time about it as I'm waiting for my wheels.

Did you fit your shock or did it come like that as it is the same way mine was fitted but I found you cannot turn the compression leaver to lockout as hits the pivot mount? If you look at the photo from On-One below the way that is mounted you can still turn to lock out.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/imgs/product...ELGUV3_P10.jpg
    It came with the shock fitted that way. That's weird as I can move the lever into every position?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    How odd this is the shock on my large frame as you can see the pivot mount blocks the blue lever going in the lockout out position apologies for the crappy cameraphone shot.
    Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?-woinutr.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

How odd this is the shock on my large frame as you can see the pivot mount blocks the blue lever going in the lockout out position apologies for the crappy cameraphone shot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoiNutr.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	808178
    Very strange, the lever on mine stops about 1cm before the shock mount!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Just measured it and it's exactly 13inches so not far off.

so w/ a 170mm Lyrik, the BB is still just 13" even. what has changed w/ the manufacturing of these frames? it looks to me like absolutely nothing. still just putting out the same thing while they're listing the geometry as having a 13.4" BB w/ a 160 fork. hard to comprehend this is still happening after all this time & what they've been saying. this El Guapo fiasco has got to be one of the alltime screwups in the history of mtn. bike manufacturing.

no wonder Brant refuses to stay involved here.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    FTM Carbon? with Orbit E zero stack lower (if it is a tapered fork).
    that's not a bad idea, or the aluminum one. that would fit my wife's needs not too bad. thanks, didn't think about it

mtbr member
    so w/ a 170mm Lyrik, the BB is still just 13" even. what has changed w/ the manufacturing of these frames? it looks to me like absolutely nothing. still just putting out the same thing while they're listing the geometry as having a 13.4" BB w/ a 160 fork. hard to comprehend this is still happening after all this time & what they've been saying. this El Guapo fiasco has got to be one of the alltime screwups in the history of mtn. bike manufacturing.

i don't think anything has changed manufacturing wise. that's why it is now recommended to run the 170mm fork vs the original 150mm. for a $780 frame, i doubt it's worth titus having kinesis retool the jigs and still be able to keep the price where it is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Guess it all depends on how out of spec your frame was in the first place. I was under the impression that the BB drop was inconsistent and varied from batch to batch, with some batches worse than others?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Guess it all depends on how out of spec your frame was in the first place. I was under the impression that the BB drop was inconsistent and varied from batch to batch, with some batches worse than others?
    This is my understanding as well, since the amount of drop was due to all the parts of suspension being all in spec, but all close to the limit in one direction (i.e. all the parts are within spec, but they're all close to being too long, instead of some being dead on, some being close to too short, etc) causing the linkage itself to be out of spec, without any individual part being wrong (this is what's know in manufacturing as "tolerance stack")

So unless every part was coming out to within very close tolerance of EACH OTHER, but all off the spec measurement (say, they're all 5mm too long, but the variance between parts is less than a 1mm change), you would expect some variance in the exact amount of BB drop.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Name:	WoiNutr.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	808178
    I can confirm that mine came with the shock mounted with the lever on the bottom.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Oh, BTW, forks may be coming for Americans very soon. A little birdy told me they're in Portland, but not ready to ship out just yet.

Huffy Rider
    I purchased a new EG frame (from Titus USA) size med and received it last week (AZ, USA). The shock was mounted with the lever facing the top tube, which meant it could not be turned to the lockout position. I took the shock off and installed a Monarch Plus, problem solved.

I installed a Lyrik 170 and the BB drop is with-in spec (about 1-2mm low), on the rear position, coming in at 13 in. In the forward position, the drop is slightly higher then center and the measurement is 13.2. This is on TK 2.2 @ 25 lbs. Sag is set up for a 180lb rider (my hubby). The most interesting thing is the HTA is 66* in the rear and very close to 67* in the forward, with an ext lower cup HS. I was hoping for 67* in the rear pos as this will be a pedal bike. He will ride it as is and assess the situation before considering using a slackest put in backwards.

mtbr member

I'm not sure anyone talked about height. I think Brant from the start kept talking about bb drop should be 0. So now with 170 forks it's zero. So it is on specs I think.
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

About bb height.

My large EG+150mm revelation+smoothie mixer+front 2.4" Ardent+rear 2.25" Ardent= 33,5cm bb height. Thats 13,1889"!!

I didn't check bb drop...

I write later more about my EG.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The BB of my frame that I got last week is spot on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by George Gr View Post
    I'm not sure anyone talked about height. I think Brant from the start kept talking about bb drop should be 0. So now with 170 forks it's zero. So it is on specs I think.
    Yeah I thought that too

I put the Guapo through it's paces yesterday and can report that it's awesome with the Lyrik fitted. I never really found pedal strikes an issue with the 150mm fork fitted. I did get the odd one or two but they have now been almost eliminated and that was riding on some fairly technical climbs and rocky/rooty descents. Overall I'm really happy with how this bike now rides

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    nice, just received the Lyrik Air Solo RC; though I am going to fit the Xfusion Vengeance soon. Anyone knows where can the RC2DH dual flow rebound assembly? It seems to be out of stock everywhere.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    nice, just received the Lyrik Air Solo RC; though I am going to fit the Xfusion Vengeance soon. Anyone knows where can the RC2DH dual flow rebound assembly? It seems to be out of stock everywhere.
    Based on the info from BTI, I wouldn't assume that it doesn't already have it: I'd pull the fork apart and check or at least call SRAM to confirm before I spent any money.

I haven't seen it in stock anywhere either, though, so used may be the way to go.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Okay - so I've given brant and on-one some stick and so have others on this thread but lets give credit where credit is due...
    I've just recieved an email saying my Lyrik has been sent, despite being a month later than they said originally, I can't fault either their response to this issue as a whole or their communication on the phone (CS email was, however another, more frustrating, darker story). I have now been given a frame, CCDB air shock and Lyrik fork for 800 quid - less than the price of most similar frames sans shock.
    Yes it's been a momumentual cock-up, and a costly one at that. But on-one have sorted it and made good on their promises, despite my own and others understandable scepticism.
    I hope that people are reassured by this and sales do not suffer as a result (although givent their prices I can't see demand falling for EGs nor for other, newer Titus frames in the future).
    Now to stop worrying about BB drop and BB height and to ride the sh1t out of it!!!..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by topcatno1 View Post
    Okay - so I've given brant and on-one some stick and so have others on this thread but lets give credit where credit is due...
    I've just recieved an email saying my Lyrik has been sent, despite being a month later than they said originally, I can't fault either their response to this issue as a whole or their communication on the phone (CS email was, however another, more frustrating, darker story). I have now been given a frame, CCDB air shock and Lyrik fork for 800 quid - less than the price of most similar frames sans shock.
    Yes it's been a momumentual cock-up, and a costly one at that. But on-one have sorted it and made good on their promises, despite my own and others understandable scepticism.
    I hope that people are reassured by this and sales do not suffer as a result (although givent their prices I can't see demand falling for EGs nor for other, newer Titus frames in the future).
    Now to stop worrying about BB drop and BB height and to ride the sh1t out of it!!!..
    Here here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by topcatno1 View Post
    Got to agree with the most part, been out "riding the sh1t out of it!!!.." for the last two weeks (after going to pick the frame up myself and hitting the credit card for a set of forks) I am finally happy! and here she is:

Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?-p4pb9723173.jpg

Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?-p4pb9723174.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Looks awesome fella

mtbr member
    cheers mate, eats up those descents and ain't a bad climber either! hitting the peaks again tomorrow! good times!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Arnold View Post
    cheers mate, eats up those descents and ain't a bad climber either! hitting the peaks again tomorrow! good times!
    They sure do don't they, I love mine!

Huffy Rider
    Here is a pic of my hubby's bike in the almost done stage. The wheels are borrowed, steerer needs cutting, etc. He got to ride it down one of the mellower DH trails and said it rocked! He also got to do a very short uphill/flat section of pedaling with some small tech in it and it was superb. He loves it so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?-cimg1163.jpg  

mtbr member
    Got to agree with the most part, been out "riding the sh1t out of it!!!.." for the last two weeks (after going to pick the frame up myself and hitting the credit card for a set of forks) I am finally happy! and here she is:

Name:	p4pb9723173.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	338.1 KB 
ID:	808857

Name:	p4pb9723174.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	365.2 KB 
ID:	808858
    Awesome! BOS fork rules!!!
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    Indeed. Plush is an understatement!

mtbr member
    Indeed. Plush is an understatement!
    And I thought my Marz was plush! I would love to test a BOS though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

WTF!!

I DID GET MY LYRIK TODAY!!! \o/

I never thought that I would never see this day!

Appparently this time Brant kept his promise. Nice!

Now, I can start my short Finnish mid-summer festival!

Ps. 5 working days until my summer vacation begins! 4 and half weeks riding and dog shows! Awesome!

mtbr member
    Just curious, does anyone know what year the Lyrik RC's are that we've been given? thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Current year model I think

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    In, or out, of spec, 13" BB is pretty asinine w/ that much travel. The correct price for something that doesn't work is $0.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Lyrik rc 170mm+ardent's+smoothie= 34,2cm(13,465") bb height.

And bb drop is now +few mm up...

And this was before. 30cm is zero point, so few mm drop...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That does not compute. Your "before" photo implies that the outside diameter of your tires is less than 24 inches. (?????)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Well, that 30cm is a zero point where You can measure bb drop...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hösö View Post
    Well, that 30cm is a zero point where You can measure bb drop...
    you were using the 30cm as a datum to measure from, rather than 30cm being the height from the floor yeah?

(oh, I'm not here am I).

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Took my el guapo out for the first time today was pretty epic TBH even in this crap weather we have at moment so so plush!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    you were using the 30cm as a datum to measure from, rather than 30cm being the height from the floor yeah?

(oh, I'm not here am I).
    OK, that makes sense. I wrongly assumed the measurement was from the floor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

(oh, I'm not here am I).
    Right!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Got my el guapo frame in the post today with complimentary shock but alas the woes continue...

Two issues possibly related to damage in transit by TNT.

1. I have a flat spot in the top of the head tube. (see pic) I don't know if pressing a cup in will fix the problem? In anyone's opinion is this a big issue or a small issue?

2. There was a paint chip on the bottom of the chain guide tab and a damaged spot in the bottom of the box she came in confirming droppage somewhere along the way. I can only speculated that said droppage may have dented the head tube although no side damage to the box to confirm this... I can live with the paint chip... not so much a head tube that won't work.

Thirdly what I believe is a spec / manufacturing tolerance issue.

I noticed that the bottom eye of the ccdb shock was very very close to the seat tube... when i compressed the suspension I discovered that the shock had already taken off paint from the seat tube without her having ever been ridden yet! In the normal resting position there is probably on half a mm of clearance...I know that there were some issues about the air can fouling on the rocker but what about the bottom eyelet fouling the seat tube? see attached pic.

In the case of 1 & 2 has anyone had any experience with damaged goods being received from on one and what process to go through to sort this out / claim? Also do you reckon the head tube can be saved?

In the case of 3. is anyone experiencing similar seat tube wear? Is this normal?

I will be calling on one CS in the morning but in the meantime if someone can console me I would appreciate it.

D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?-img_0734.jpg  

Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?-img_0739.jpg  

Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?-img_0741.jpg  

Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?-img_0742.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Man that sucks!

I would send it back on the account of the busted headtube. From my experience the paint comes off my orange El-Guapo very easily. While the end of my RT3 shock is close (2-3mm) to the seat tube it has never hit it so that would worry me as well!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlouis View Post
    Got my el guapo frame in the post today with complimentary shock but alas the woes continue...
    D
    The fail that just keeps on giving...

Seems like it's had a right clattering in the box coming over. Sorry to see that. I can assure you it wouldn't be like that when it left us.

In our passion and desire to fit the CCDB to some frames, we have come up against some tolerance issues and the larger eye area dimension on those shocks means they come closer to the seat tube on a tight tolerance.

Please get in touch with our team in returns and customer service with your order details and we'll endeavour to fix things right for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The fail that just keeps on giving...

Seems like it's had a right clattering in the box coming over. Sorry to see that. I can assure you it wouldn't be like that when it left us.

In our passion and desire to fit the CCDB to some frames, we have come up against some tolerance issues and the larger eye area dimension on those shocks means they come closer to the seat tube on a tight tolerance.

Please get in touch with our team in returns and customer service with your order details and we'll endeavour to fix things right for you.
    that very sad to see the frame got knock up in courier. personally i had my dent too at the icsg tab and rear axle on my frame and also other delivery .

brant,

seriously you guys need to look into improving packaging for dispatch. so far my experience with on-one is that the items not padded enough and often free moving inside. heavy stuff moving and bump around in a thin box is not gonna be good!

i'm glad that on-one support responsiveness and willingness to arrange return and exchange.. but isnt it a pity that time and money wasted to both parties when these sort of issue can simply avoided with better packing.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for all the condolences... and to you Brant for expressing an willingness to resolve this issue from On-one's side. You cannot be blamed for the damage in transit. I know for a fact (from airlines stickers) that some of my recent frame purchases from On-one have found their way to me in South Africa via a few war torn African countries and possibly on camelback where I guess the respectful treatment of couriered post is not a priority. I do however share Broadica's sentiment with regard to packaging robustness and when compared to a pair of 29er inbred frames received last week, El Guapo's protection was minimal with the box barely big enough to contain the frames length.

Notwithstanding the damage though I guess I would've had to return to it anyway on account of the frame-shock tolerance issues and subsequent seat tube damage. I had in fact messaged Ed Oxley to ask if he's ever experienced something similar to which he answered that there was 'plenty' of clearance with a CCDB shock. I cannot understand why anyone in QC or otherwise tech dept in On-One would knowingly send this out...?

My curiosity has been sparked though on discovery of a 'Rock Shox Rear Suspension' user manual in the bottom of the box and I suddenly recalled a conversation with On-One Customer Services about the inability to swap a Monarch spec'd EG frame with a CCDB spec'd EG frame when they originally phoned to say my original Black frame was not in stock but I could get one in Orange. Something about a CCDB frame needing to be 'rounded' to allow better fitment.

So I wondering if somehow mine is a frame and shock mismatch!? On the shipment box it is noted as having 'no shock' I presume on delivery to you in the UK where one is installed. Could a mismatch have occurred? Given the history of this thread... i'm guessing maybe?

I am hoping for the sake of others, that this may be the only instance of this...

My email to CS was logged very shortly after discovery of this issue and is currently logged on their support system. As yet though, not a peep from them....

Hopefully it won't be too much longer....

In the meantime I am only able to look at the beauty that is El Guapo but sadly can't build it up and ride it! AAAaarggh!

D

Ps: Did anyone who ordered a frame with CCDB shock get the shims and spanner that is supposed to come with the shock? I don't see any of this stuff!?

banned
    May 2012
    My FTM carbon also came with the top of the headtube lightly crushed in from inadequate packaging.(Ordered from U.S. Titus) I was too lazy to deal with returning it
    and just pounded it out and then filed the area until the headset bearing fit. Mine wasn't as bad looking as your headtube though.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    To be honest I can live with the chipped chainguide tab and at a push with a hammered out headtube but I worry about the tolerance issue... and then I stop and think F*!$ it this thing is supposed to be brand new and perfectly ready to be built up and ridden... this shouldn't be my problem to sort out!

So I called on-one CS today in the morning after having not heard from them since sending a message to them last week... there was a lot of confusion about the issue despite having logged it on the planet-x support system and having already sent pictures... was told returns dept would get in contact.... still waiting...

In the meantime checked on-one website regarding returns process. The preferred method is that you post it and claim back the postage costs and if you want a quick replacement its better to order again and claim a refund off the damaged goods!!

That's fine if you are in the UK... not so fine if you are more that 5000miles away!
    So out of interest I got a quote from UPS and FEDEX for shipping frame back to them from South Africa. £420 and £750 respectively! So I ask you where the logic in this process is!? Surely on-one would not cover such costs?

I honestly expect On-one to offer to send a courier to me for pickup given that its not my fault or issue that items received were damaged. Also that way they can use the special rate they enjoy with the couriers to bypass the exorbitant charges the common man has to endure...

The struggle continues...

Dont Rep me
    Geez, minimum 420 pounds for shipping?
    Guess I should be happy I'm only out $40 for returning my frame.

mtbr member
    Almost cheaper to fly over from SA yourself and hand deliver the frame.

Whereabouts in SA are you?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    In Durban on east coast. As it happens I am flying to London on Friday. El guapo was supposed to be used on my alps trip to les arcs and with a the qc issues I didn't know if she would get here on time and ended up renting. After the damaged shipment I'm now glad I did!

This is part of the reason why I'm desperate to get hold of someone in returns who might be able to offer advice on whether to take it as luggage or courier as package but using their account to get a better rate.

Since my last post only an auto response email thanking me for my message but no real result yet... By my rough calc its day 180 of my el guapo saga!

mtbr member
    I'm in Joburg.

A mate has the V1 EG and I have a V2

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Does anyone know what the wheelbase is on the revised V3 El Guapo.
    it looks like the UK distributor has them back in stock and Im trying to decide between a Medium and Large. the only geometry specs I can find are from the 2010 model and by the sound of the comments on this thread, it looks like there may have been some mid-model adjustments.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I guess I could measure my large when I get home, I reckon it must be fairly long as it feels very stable at speed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ps: Did anyone who ordered a frame with CCDB shock get the shims and spanner that is supposed to come with the shock? I don't see any of this stuff!?
    Yes, I did. You should as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Willyswildride View Post
    Does anyone know what the wheelbase is on the revised V3 El Guapo.
    it looks like the UK distributor has them back in stock and Im trying to decide between a Medium and Large. the only geometry specs I can find are from the 2010 model and by the sound of the comments on this thread, it looks like there may have been some mid-model adjustments.
    Large - Approx 1160mm with Lyric 170 and Smoothie Mixer

mtbr member
    May 2013

My Saga ends!... in a good way.

So I feel compelled to report on my El Guapo Saga and that it has officially ended with good news!

I now am the proud owner (one of only 3 in South Africa it seems) of my very own El Guapo with a spot on BB height and zero drop (running a 170 RS LYRIK RC), tolerance between rear CCDB eye and seat tube and no damage in transit.

Getting to this point has involved a lot of additional effort (since my last post) on my part to unpick stock issues/confusion at On One headquarters in Sheffield, remind Customer services to include the CCDB shims, spanners and documentation (previously not included), repack and adequately protect the frame delivered (which was also rattling around in its box) to me whilst on holiday in London for safe trip back to South Africa as additional baggage and also find a financially viable way of sending back the damaged in transit frame back to On-One.

I have learnt a lot of lessons in dealing with On-One from this experience but won't bang on about it any longer. There's been enough crucifixion in this thread already...

They must however be commended for sticking to their promise to sort out my problem even if it was a bit of a 'ball ache' for me to endure...

Also the complementary fork for the initial QC issues and delay; and later a complementary smoothie headset for additional mix-ups at On-One HQ are more than enough compensation for the frustration.

Last but not least, here is my creation. I have taken it out for a short test ride and 'the handsome one' is already turning heads wherever he goes...

Cheers
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?-el-guapo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have a V2....have there been any issues with the V2? I have read most of this thread but cannot search V2 since it being too short.
    X-prezo Super-D, 26in style.

mtbr member
    The bike is looking great. Must be a beast with the 170 upfront and the CCDB.

Chris told me about your issues when I saw him a couple of weeks after he got back from Switzerland.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey View Post
    I have a V2....have there been any issues with the V2? I have read most of this thread but cannot search V2 since it being too short.
    It was a V3 only issue. My V2 doesn't have any problem with the BB drop which is in spec.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Glad there was a happy ending. Go ride dude!!

mtbr member

So I feel compelled to report on my El Guapo Saga and that it has officially ended with good news!

I now am the proud owner (one of only 3 in South Africa it seems) of my very own El Guapo with a spot on BB height and zero drop (running a 170 RS LYRIK RC), tolerance between rear CCDB eye and seat tube and no damage in transit.

Getting to this point has involved a lot of additional effort (since my last post) on my part to unpick stock issues/confusion at On One headquarters in Sheffield, remind Customer services to include the CCDB shims, spanners and documentation (previously not included), repack and adequately protect the frame delivered (which was also rattling around in its box) to me whilst on holiday in London for safe trip back to South Africa as additional baggage and also find a financially viable way of sending back the damaged in transit frame back to On-One.

I have learnt a lot of lessons in dealing with On-One from this experience but won't bang on about it any longer. There's been enough crucifixion in this thread already...

They must however be commended for sticking to their promise to sort out my problem even if it was a bit of a 'ball ache' for me to endure...

Also the complementary fork for the initial QC issues and delay; and later a complementary smoothie headset for additional mix-ups at On-One HQ are more than enough compensation for the frustration.

Last but not least, here is my creation. I have taken it out for a short test ride and 'the handsome one' is already turning heads wherever he goes...

Cheers
    Dave
    Very nice Dave. I am glad that everything turned out well for you!
    My only objection, if I might say, is the very long stem. With 170mm fork it will "work" way better with a 50mm or 60mm stem.
    I think you should try and take a ride with one. It is more accurate.

mtbr member

Re: Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?

Not to mention, it's also missing a seat dropper. You'll love it with a shorter stem, wide bars, and seat dropper.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2013
    A dropper seatpost is expensive.... But I have a birthday coming up so I'm holding thumbs!... Donations are also welcome :-) The stem on there is 100mm off another bike I stripped for the build. In the beginning it was just there to hold it all together... I have just got an 80mm stem and was running 750 bars so we'll see how that feels. I am 6' 4" with long arms and there's no el guapo frame in XL so a too short stem might feel a bit bunched up for me although the twitcher steering would be nice... Thanks for the comments/ tips.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What is the axle to crown on a Lyrik 170 as this is now the suggested fork length?!

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by saps View Post
    What is the axle to crown on a Lyrik 170 as this is now the suggested fork length?!
    555 millimeters

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hopefully all will be good with my El Guapo, can't wait to build it up.

mtbr member
    Can anyone confirm that the 26" El Guapos shipping from the USA location have all the issues sorted out? Specifically is the bottom bracket problem solved?

I have a friend ready to order but I was hoping to get confirmation that the frame he will get is sorted and will have none of the previous issues.

Thanks for any assistance!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm not an industry expert but as an owner of a low BB frame that was made good with a complimentary 170 fork, I would be very very very surprised if this wasn't completely sorted by now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Mine is fine, I picked it up with the CCDB.
    This frame replaced a 2010 Stumpjumper expert fsr and the geometry on the eg3 is so much nicer. Hard to explain but it feels much more natural in a corner than the stumpy.

Here's a short video at Downieville
    Downieville flat3 5-24-14 - YouTube

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey guys-
    I need a little help discerning which version a frame is. It is ORANGE with SILVER rear triangle.

Does that make it a V1? V2? V3?

I'm worried that if I end up with a V2/3 with the BB height issue, it wouldn't be appropriate for the tech riding around Austin.

I know you guys know much more about el guapo than I do, so I figured I'd come to the source.

Thanks in advance!

J:
    T-ho
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Hey guys-
    I need a little help discerning which version a frame is. It is ORANGE with SILVER rear triangle.

I'm worried that if I end up with a V2/3 with the BB height issue, it wouldn't be appropriate for the tech riding around Austin.

I know you guys know much more about el guapo than I do, so I figured I'd come to the source.

Thanks in advance!
    Might be an orange of each version

1.5" HT= V1

Taper HT w/ no cable guides= V2-

Brace welded in front of brake mount , I think might be a V3

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Hey guys-

Thanks in advance!
    unfortunately, i don't think you can depend on the BB situation being specific to any height, whether it's V2 or V3. once On-One bought Titus, the manufacturing fiasco was on. you're probably well aware of that. if your buying used, you'd have to believe the seller being able to tell you what EXACTLY the BB was w/ the fork/headset combo he used. asking the current Team Titus what it will be would be gambling bigtime. you probably know all that too.
    good luck, since i think that's all you got, buying one of those frames. great ride IF your lucky enough to end up w/ one that works for ya.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Might be an orange of each version

1.5" HT= V1

Taper HT w/ no cable guides= V2-

Brace welded in front of brake mount , I think might be a V3
    Perfect-thanks for the quick response! V1 it is.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Members who have read this thread: 0