Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    So those of you with frames way outside the spec you anticipated, did you contact them for resolution? Or are you just going to try and deal with it?
    Has there been any official insight or response beyond what I see in this thread?
    Although I was very puzzled with measured geo # when I built up the EG V3, I am very happy with the bike since it rides so well on downhill. If I had paid over $2K for the frame I would probably have contacted them directly. Honestly I don't think Titus would have good explanation for me and dont really care at this point.

I kinda gotten used to riding insanely low BBH and if I do any sort of technical climb rides I just plan on bringing different bike.
    sth

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by noufa777 View Post
    Monitoring this thread, since I 'm waiting on EGV3 on the way from On One...

So STH & Smiff, do you find pedal strike problems with those 150 mm traveled fork (Z1 & Rev)?
    Yes. It is getting better as I am become more aware of the pedal position but it still continues to happen more than I like. It happens mostly on technical chunky climb and time to time during cornering exit if I try to pedal out too early on exit.
    sth

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have (Hi HO Silver) a V3 with a Fox Float 34 27.5 160 fork on mine with 27.5 wheels on both ends and my BB measures 13.5" but i measured the fork with a Fox Float 36 and the axle to crown is the same, so i think its the wheel size that makes the difference. I weighted it and thought 28.5 lbs. was a little heavy. I was shooting for 27 lbs.
    Last edited by doralswheels; 10-17-2012 at 08:55 PM.

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by doralswheels View Post
    I have (Hi HO Silver) a V3 with a Fox Float 34 27.5 160 fork on mine with 27.5 wheels on both ends and my BB measures 13.5" but i measured the fork with a Fox Float 36 and the axle to crown is the same, so i think its the wheel size that makes the difference. I weighted it and thought 28.5 lbs. was a little heavy. I was shooting for 27 lbs.
    Are you saying that you were able to fit 650B wheel/tire no problem on EG V.3 rear-end? That I didn't would be possible. If so that explains why your BBH is higher by 3/4".
    sth

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackHound View Post
    Yes. It is getting better as I am become more aware of the pedal position but it still continues to happen more than I like. It happens mostly on technical chunky climb and time to time during cornering exit if I try to pedal out too early on exit.
    With 540 A2C and still get pedal strike?
    I'm corious with your new A2C by using Vengeance 170 mm travel, and do you still find this pedal strike problem?

OTOH, increasing A2C may compensate other concern in climbing : wheelie. Do you find this in Z1 and/or Vengeance? I know this bike is not for climbing, but I hope it can do respectively good

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I've just built V3 el guapo with RS lyrik 160mm fork and got some pedal strikes. However they are controllable, just need to get used a bit. I dont think i need any more travel in front, 160mm is perfect.

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by noufa777 View Post
    With 540 A2C and still get pedal strike?
    I'm corious with your new A2C by using Vengeance 170 mm travel, and do you still find this pedal strike problem?

OTOH, increasing A2C may compensate other concern in climbing : wheelie. Do you find this in Z1 and/or Vengeance? I know this bike is not for climbing, but I hope it can do respectively good
    Yes. 12.7" BBH on 6" travel bike = pedal smack, just no way around it.

Haven't had any ride time on Vengeance since it was sent to them to resolve some internal noise issue. I did managed to install it on my bike and spun around driveway before being sent out. BBH measured at ~13.2" and HA was close to 65 deg. I had trouble dialing in static sag. At lowest recommended 50 psi I was barely getting 20mm sag and felt ridiculously wallowy unless I dialed in 2/3 of avaliable low speed compression. Hopefully when seal and bushings wear I can get the sag sorted out otherwise climbing ability would suffer. Hope to get my fork back by end of this week.
    sth

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Are you saying that you were able to fit 650B wheel/tire no problem on EG V.3 rear-end? That I didn't would be possible. If so that explains why your BBH is higher by 3/4".
    yeah more info on this please.

this bike does need quite a different ride technique, not that i've really ridden any DH bikes, but with things like pedalling out of corners as you say. still a lovely bike and fantastically stable and climbs well. i don't think i'd take a replacement with higher bb even if i was offered one tbh. maybe 1/2" higher would be nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yes, i have a 27.5 wheel and a Pacenti Quasi-moto 27.5 X 2.10 on the rear with about 16mm of tire clearence at the front of the middle of the chain stay. 27.5" minus 26" = 1.5" divided by 2 = 3/4" or am i wrong? And i have the rear shock bolt in the lower rear location.
    Last edited by doralswheels; 10-18-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Added rear shock bolt location

on my 3rd wind...
    Yes, i have a 27.5 wheel and a Pacenti Quasi-moto 27.5 X 2.10 on the rear with about 16mm of tire clearence at the front of the middle of the chain stay.
    Interesting...on my 26" Mavic 819 rear wheel/ 2.25 Geax Sturdy combo I barely have 10mm clearance in the same location...I just measure mine. Pacenti Quasi-moto 27.5 X 2.10 must be really low profile tire.
    sth

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiff View Post
    yeah more info on this please.

this bike does need quite a different ride technique, not that i've really ridden any DH bikes, but with things like pedalling out of corners as you say. still a lovely bike and fantastically stable and climbs well. i don't think i'd take a replacement with higher bb even if i was offered one tbh. maybe 1/2" higher would be nice.
    1/2" would be perfect since it put my BBH at 13.2". Heck, I wouldn't even mind dead even 13.0" with 540mm A/C fork.
    sth

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yes, i have a 27.5 wheel and a Pacenti Quasi-moto 27.5 X 2.10 on the rear with about 16mm of tire clearence at the front of the middle of the chain stay. 27.5" minus 26" = 1.5" divided by 2 = 3/4" or am i wrong? And i have the rear shock bolt in the lower rear location.
    16mm... did you have the yoke cut and welded?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    we've got a guy on STW bought his EG last month and says his bb is 13.2", but can't trust he knows what he's doing.. possible (not sure!) they've already updated ("fixed") the frame and not told us. that would be quite annoying, if they have..

without comment from Brant or On-one on this, what else can we do but speculate.

on my 3rd wind...
    we've got a guy on STW bought his EG last month and says his bb is 13.2", but can't trust he knows what he's doing.. possible (not sure!) they've already updated ("fixed") the frame and not told us. that would be quite annoying, if they have..

without comment from Brant or On-one on this, what else can we do but speculate.
    He might be running 180mm travel or 565mm A/C fork.
    sth

mtbr member
    May 2008
    he's not though, it's a stock bike apparently, but he's changed something in the 160mm lyric. hopefully he'll post here.

on my 3rd wind...
    If he is running Lyrik 160mm, which is 545mm A/C fork, I wonder how he is achieving 0.5" taller BBH? I dont believe Lyrik is 650B compatible.
    sth

mtbr member
    May 2008
    exactly, by my math a 10mm longer fork only raises BB by around 7mm (probably less), which is only half of half an inch. someone with better trig can do this exactly, or knowing the a2c, perhaps lyric has much higher a2c? or i'm just overlooking something. like bigger tyres can both tyres be 7mm larger radius? he's running 2.25 smorgasbords on stans flow.

edit: yeah that's plausible actually! i have 15mm tyre clearance at rear, with Advantage 2.1 on Flow 26". I could run a 7mm bigger rear tyre. that's an idea for raising bb eh
    he could tell us his tyre clearance in the bb area. if it's only 7mm then it's probably just a bigger tyre, if it's still 15mm then that's odd.
    Last edited by Smiff; 10-19-2012 at 09:59 AM.

mtbr member
    12.7mm = 1/2"

Big volume tall height tires (2.4 and 2.5) account for 8-11mm increased height directly over the respective axle of the wheel its mounted on in comparison to most 2.25 tires.

3 tallest tires I tried so far would be Rubber Queen, Maxxis Advantage and Ardents, all 2.4s

It would be a little lesser in the bbh somehow... and in reality after accounting for tire height deflection when bike is loaded with rider weight-- the increase to bbh due taller tires is really not all that much. The overall feel good factor comes more from the big volume cush i think

As for clearance-- already with large 2.4 rubbers-- clearnance to the end of the yoke is barely 5-7mm. With smaller 2.2-2.3 tires with low center knobs its about 13-15mm for me-- so I dont get how a 650B with tires can clear given the increased radius would push the an additional 0.75" (19.05mm) over a 26" rim. Unless the tire height of the 650B rubbers is 1/3 or lesswe than that of a small 26" tire.

Slicks? Or unless the rear of the EG now is longer than before (Im running the V1s)

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    ^^ something been modded.. doralswheels, you the guy with the motherload Titus stable?.. I remember seeing a photo of bakers dozen or something like that...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    important thing there is the axle to tread tallest point right. is there a chart that includes more tyres like Maxxis Advantage?.
    edit: i measure my 26" Advantage 2.1 at about 332mm axle-to-highest point with 15mm clearance in centre between chainstays. if that helps. may be a bit inaccurate though! quite a worn tyre too..

also i was wrong before, 10mm longer fork a2c doesn't raise bb by 7mm, it's more like 3-4mm? (result of HA and horiz. distance between axles and bb). so this is more likely there's variation in the frames.

wish there was an easier way to determine bb position that doesn't involve fork or wheels, ideas?
    Last edited by Smiff; 10-19-2012 at 10:48 AM.

mtbr member
    wish there was an easier way to determine bb position that doesn't involve fork or wheels, ideas?
    Not really. It's a triangle and you can't get A+B=C without atleast two legs to measure.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

on my 3rd wind...
    General guide to head angle and bottom bracket height change based on fork axle-to-crown height change:

1" (25mm) increase in fork height or lower headset stack height = 1 deg slacker HA and 0.5" taller BBH
    1" (25mm) decrease in fork height or lower headset stack height = 1 deg steeper HA and 0.5" lower BBH
    sth

mtbr member
    May 2008
    it's less than half because bb is nearer back of bike than front, and because a2c is not vertical. 30%-40% is a decent estimate until someone good at math comes along

and 25mm is a huge increase in fork length! that means a 185mm fork from the stock (by your reckoning, 190-195 by mine, to give that +1/2" bb). you no longer have an AM bike then really do you

i wonder how many EGs they sold in first batch of v3.. i never noticed how many were in stock, a few hundred at most, including built bikes?

like i said i'm not too bothered i like my bike, but i think on-one should say something.. we shouldn't just be left to figure out what we've bought.

going to try a bigger rear tyre (just took delivery of a 2.35 Hans Dampf), but in the mud, you need clearance..
    Last edited by Smiff; 10-19-2012 at 11:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    important thing there is the axle to tread tallest point right. is there a chart that includes more tyres like Maxxis Advantage?.
    edit: i measure my 26" Advantage 2.1 at about 332mm axle-to-highest point with 15mm clearance in centre between chainstays. if that helps. may be a bit inaccurate though! quite a worn tyre too..

also i was wrong before, 10mm longer fork a2c doesn't raise bb by 7mm, it's more like 3-4mm? (result of HA and horiz. distance between axles and bb). so this is more likely there's variation in the frames.

It's from Shiggy site, if i remember he states his method if you want to look...must have taken a good chunk of time just filling the tires and waiting for them to stretch...other tires listed there too

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm the guy from STW with a 'complete' El Guapo. I have a BB height of 13.1/13.2 on my medium, with the stock lyrik upgraded to the rc2 DH internals (not that it makes any difference what the internals are AFAIK), hope pro evo 2 on stans flow with the 2.25 smorgasbords. I have a picture on the STW thread - I can't post a link here!

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast