Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008
    right, it we take your fork as 8mm shorter than a Revelation, your frame is roughly 13mm lower than spec i think.
    either way, running that much drop is going to be difficult for a lot of riders. it's similar to my first frame. i would return that.

mtbr member

Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?

Quote Originally Posted by Smiff View Post
    right, it we take your fork as 8mm shorter than a Revelation, your frame is roughly 13mm lower than spec i think.
    either way, running that much drop is going to be difficult for a lot of riders. it's similar to my first frame. i would return that.
    Revelation is 545mm (or 540?) so he's not just only 8mm lower than the rev.... Plus the external cup.
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    May 2008
    nah Lyrik160 is 545. rev150 is 529.
    i should base all on Lyrik since thats the EG stock fork, i'm just more used to the Rev. so his frame is worse than 8mm out, i think 13-14mm. not sure what Brant said was "too low" (did he ever give a number?) but i wouldn't accept anything over 10mm. my new one is marginal. using a shorter fork add to the problem sure, but isn't an excuse.

hmm now i read that, why is a 10mm more travel RS fork 16mm longer, because it's for DH, taller crown or something? i can't get a very big front tyre in my rev, which is another bummer. my old Pike Uturn 90-140mm can take huge front tyres..
    Last edited by Smiff; 02-01-2013 at 01:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Does anyone knows if the ISCG tab offset has been corrected and the new february batch frames will be fine about that too?
    Bye

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingleman View Post
    Does anyone knows if the ISCG tab offset has been corrected and the new february batch frames will be fine about that too?
    Bye
    ISCG offset is not revised on EG26.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    just measured my frame after building up, i get a bb height of 12.75" with a big Advantage 2.25 rear. i'd calculated 12.8" so that's close, slightly lower than i expected still.. should be something i can deal with 170 cranks and thin pedals.
    this should all be with rear shock hole right?

Outcast
    Uhhh, my V2 with external lower headset cup and Lyrik 160mm is 13.5 inches, 13.25 with zero stack lower headset cup, which is all below spec for a V2 anyway. Regardless of your fork choice , I think your bike is too low to pedal in the rocks, even with 170 cranks and thin pedals, which I have too. I think Brant owes you a new frame.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    well Brant himself doesn't owe me anything
    you are right though. i'm not sure yet, came to post something else!

Only had 2 rides on replacement frame so far. noticed something interesting today: I can ride no-handed on this one, couldn't before.

few possibilities:

1) it's all in my head.
    2) HA is slightly different and that's enough to notice.
    3) old frame was off laterally.

old one always felt like it was flopping to the side (either side), this doesn't. all other parts are same: bar, stem, fork, wheels etc. dunno, it could just be me, thought it was worth mentioning though.

mtbr member
    Lower BB would in previous would also have a symptom of having a slacker head angle. So the steeper head angle would react better to hands free especially at low speed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What bb drop should i get using a float 34 160 with an a-c of 539mm and 15mm lower headset cup, if my frame has correct geometry?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dan.greening87 View Post
    What bb drop should i get using a float 34 160 with an a-c of 539mm and 15mm lower headset cup, if my frame has correct geometry?
    only around 2-3 mm i'd have thought? someone check this i'm pretty tired..

yeah i think this is right, your fork is 6mm shorter than lyrik so around 1/3 of that in bb drop difference.

use the string method. if you have more than (this is my opinion) 9mm drop send it back.
    Last edited by Smiff; 02-09-2013 at 06:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I am on an EG with a Vengeance 170mm , 2.25 Nobby Nics front and 2.1 Rocket Ron rear. what should i expect from my BB height with these setup?

mtbr member
    With the longer fork I would guess you would have only a few mm BB drop. Although you didnt mention if your EG was a V3 and if you had an external cup headset.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    best to ask about bb drop, not height. explained a while back.
    with a 170mm fork you should probably get over 13.3" height? but it depends..

bb height variables (bike must be level side-to-side and on level ground, measure vertical from centre of crank axle to ground)
    ------------------
    the frame geometry
    rear shock extension and pivot hole
    headset lower cup height
    headset angle (assuming not an angleset)
    fork a2c (assuming max. fork extension).
    front tyre max tread height
    rear tyre max tread height

bb drop variables: (put string axle centre to axle centre, measure string to crank axle centre).
    -----------------
    the frame geometry
    rear shock extension and pivot hole
    headset lower cup height
    headset angle (assuming not an angleset)
    fork a2c (assuming max. fork extension).

anything else i've missed?
    things that don't matter: headset top cup, wheel size (tyre size takes care of this).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    With the longer fork I would guess you would have only a few mm BB drop. Although you didnt mention if your EG was a V3 and if you had an external cup headset.
    Mine is a V3, got the frame about mid 2012. With the deeper reamed top head tube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by magpies14 View Post
    Mine is a V3, got the frame about mid 2012. With the deeper reamed top head tube.
    Question to ask is how often your striking the pedal badly.
    .. save for the chunky rock section of Kiara DH line in your hood or similar -- general trail riding shouldn't be an issue imo.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i had something odd happen on Friday. hopping off a kerb, gut my toe stuck between pedal and road. slid shoe along and ok, but that could have been a broken ankle. I must learn to drop heels before landing...

so, yeah. it's not just rock strikes. i also need to firm up my fork..

hopefully this gave someone a laugh
    Last edited by Smiff; 02-12-2013 at 02:37 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    starting to like this bike quite a bit more (replacement frame with about 8mm bb drop).

here's what i've done this week:

1) move shock to progressive/forward hole. seems to help keep it supple in small stuff and also stops it going so deep so easily. this is still with the Monarch RT3 and my riding "should" suit the the back one, but whatever.
    2) change back tyre to a Smorgasboard 2.25 with soft edges. liking this much more than expected, it's big and grippy and works in mud much better than Advantage i used to use.
    3) few more psi in both tyres
    4) increased fork (Rev 150mm) +ve pressure from 90psi to about 110psi (top of the recommended for my weight). helps ride higher and something to push against in corners.
    5) shortened the chain. this is interesting, all kit is off old frame so kind of suggests the chainstays are shorter on replacement frame (?!). dunno never measured them sorry :/ but chain was wrapping onto itself on the mech i.e. mech running out of capacity which didn't happen before..

still getting pedal strikes, but usually i know why now and can expect them, so it's not "why the f**k did that happen" very often.

on downside.. bike is kind of too good, lets me bash through anything here with little technique !
    Last edited by Smiff; 02-17-2013 at 12:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiff View Post
    starting to like this bike quite a bit more (replacement frame with about 8mm bb drop).

here's what i've done this week:

1) move shock to progressive/forward hole. seems to help keep it supple in small stuff and also stops it going so deep so easily. this is still with the Monarch RT3 and my riding "should" suit the the back one, but whatever.
    2) change back tyre to a Smorgasboard 2.25 with soft edges. liking this much more than expected, it's big and grippy and works in mud much better than Advantage i used to use.
    3) few more psi in both tyres
    4) increased fork (Rev 150mm) +ve pressure from 90psi to about 110psi (top of the recommended for my weight). helps ride higher and something to push against in corners.
    5) shortened the chain. this is interesting, all kit is off old frame so kind of suggests the chainstays are shorter on replacement frame (?!). dunno never measured them sorry :/ but chain was wrapping onto itself on the mech i.e. mech running out of capacity which didn't happen before..

still getting pedal strikes, but usually i know why now and can expect them, so it's not "why the f**k did that happen" very often.

on downside.. bike is kind of too good, lets me bash through anything here with little technique !
    I am glad you finally starting to enjoy the bike with one way or another!
    I order a smoothie mixer headset last week in order to check it over the slackset. I will measure before and after BB height cause I am really curious.

For now I am too enjoying the Guapo!!!

"Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    May 2008
    yeah the bike takes to the air really well, doesn't feel like it's going to throw me forward like most others i've ridden. though i'm going to have a nasty accident one of these days by being overconfident and going too fast.

also running a bigger back tyre than front now looks odd, but again whatever it seems to work!

long term, i might look at a bigger fork but not for now, and the Rev is nice and light for all the climbing i do.. head angle feels about right now, i think my first one was too slack as brant said, this is ok (with 50mm stem).

So yeah.. don't forget the basics like tyre pressure and shock pressure!

Those cable clips aren't working, lost 2 today, back to zip ties..
    Last edited by Smiff; 02-17-2013 at 05:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hey Smiff,

What do you recon the HA is with the rev. I'm planning on running a sektor in the EG.
    My guess is 67.5 ?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i don't know the a2c on a sektor. but new frame should be pretty much on spec i'd think. i've never managed to get an accurate enough reading of HA, mobile phone apps are not the best

i do it more by feel.

not a great answer sorry! i think i'm about done here, got computer and work problems..

i'll just say if you don't like yours send it back, it's not just pedal strikes and a low bb. my new one, if not 100% right, feels a hell of a lot better and i haven't become a much better rider in a few months
    Last edited by Smiff; 02-18-2013 at 04:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    thanks Smiff.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hi
    Need a little help. I have an El Gapo that I got last November it is set up with
    Bos Deville 160 forks a-c 545mm,
    Hope headset 15mm stack I think,
    I have changed my cranks to a 170mm but still seem to get peddle strikes.
    Tried the string method and wonders what you guys think
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?-photo.jpg  

Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?-photo-copy.jpg  

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by samuelf View Post
    I have changed my cranks to a 170mm but still seem to get peddle strikes.
    Tried the string method and wonders what you guys think
    I would have replaced it. No idea how folks ride with BB that low.

Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast