Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    In, or out, of spec, 13" BB is pretty asinine w/ that much travel. The correct price for something that doesn't work is $0.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?

Lyrik rc 170mm+ardent's+smoothie= 34,2cm(13,465") bb height.

And bb drop is now +few mm up...

And this was before. 30cm is zero point, so few mm drop...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That does not compute. Your "before" photo implies that the outside diameter of your tires is less than 24 inches. (?????)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Well, that 30cm is a zero point where You can measure bb drop...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hösö View Post
    Well, that 30cm is a zero point where You can measure bb drop...
    you were using the 30cm as a datum to measure from, rather than 30cm being the height from the floor yeah?

(oh, I'm not here am I).

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Took my el guapo out for the first time today was pretty epic TBH even in this crap weather we have at moment so so plush!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    you were using the 30cm as a datum to measure from, rather than 30cm being the height from the floor yeah?

(oh, I'm not here am I).
    OK, that makes sense. I wrongly assumed the measurement was from the floor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

(oh, I'm not here am I).
    Right!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Got my el guapo frame in the post today with complimentary shock but alas the woes continue...

Two issues possibly related to damage in transit by TNT.

1. I have a flat spot in the top of the head tube. (see pic) I don't know if pressing a cup in will fix the problem? In anyone's opinion is this a big issue or a small issue?

2. There was a paint chip on the bottom of the chain guide tab and a damaged spot in the bottom of the box she came in confirming droppage somewhere along the way. I can only speculated that said droppage may have dented the head tube although no side damage to the box to confirm this... I can live with the paint chip... not so much a head tube that won't work.

Thirdly what I believe is a spec / manufacturing tolerance issue.

I noticed that the bottom eye of the ccdb shock was very very close to the seat tube... when i compressed the suspension I discovered that the shock had already taken off paint from the seat tube without her having ever been ridden yet! In the normal resting position there is probably on half a mm of clearance...I know that there were some issues about the air can fouling on the rocker but what about the bottom eyelet fouling the seat tube? see attached pic.

In the case of 1 & 2 has anyone had any experience with damaged goods being received from on one and what process to go through to sort this out / claim? Also do you reckon the head tube can be saved?

In the case of 3. is anyone experiencing similar seat tube wear? Is this normal?

I will be calling on one CS in the morning but in the meantime if someone can console me I would appreciate it.

D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?-img_0734.jpg  

Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?-img_0739.jpg  

Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?-img_0741.jpg  

Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?-img_0742.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Man that sucks!

I would send it back on the account of the busted headtube. From my experience the paint comes off my orange El-Guapo very easily. While the end of my RT3 shock is close (2-3mm) to the seat tube it has never hit it so that would worry me as well!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlouis View Post
    Got my el guapo frame in the post today with complimentary shock but alas the woes continue...
    D
    The fail that just keeps on giving...

Seems like it's had a right clattering in the box coming over. Sorry to see that. I can assure you it wouldn't be like that when it left us.

In our passion and desire to fit the CCDB to some frames, we have come up against some tolerance issues and the larger eye area dimension on those shocks means they come closer to the seat tube on a tight tolerance.

Please get in touch with our team in returns and customer service with your order details and we'll endeavour to fix things right for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The fail that just keeps on giving...

Seems like it's had a right clattering in the box coming over. Sorry to see that. I can assure you it wouldn't be like that when it left us.

In our passion and desire to fit the CCDB to some frames, we have come up against some tolerance issues and the larger eye area dimension on those shocks means they come closer to the seat tube on a tight tolerance.

Please get in touch with our team in returns and customer service with your order details and we'll endeavour to fix things right for you.
    that very sad to see the frame got knock up in courier. personally i had my dent too at the icsg tab and rear axle on my frame and also other delivery .

brant,

seriously you guys need to look into improving packaging for dispatch. so far my experience with on-one is that the items not padded enough and often free moving inside. heavy stuff moving and bump around in a thin box is not gonna be good!

i'm glad that on-one support responsiveness and willingness to arrange return and exchange.. but isnt it a pity that time and money wasted to both parties when these sort of issue can simply avoided with better packing.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for all the condolences... and to you Brant for expressing an willingness to resolve this issue from On-one's side. You cannot be blamed for the damage in transit. I know for a fact (from airlines stickers) that some of my recent frame purchases from On-one have found their way to me in South Africa via a few war torn African countries and possibly on camelback where I guess the respectful treatment of couriered post is not a priority. I do however share Broadica's sentiment with regard to packaging robustness and when compared to a pair of 29er inbred frames received last week, El Guapo's protection was minimal with the box barely big enough to contain the frames length.

Notwithstanding the damage though I guess I would've had to return to it anyway on account of the frame-shock tolerance issues and subsequent seat tube damage. I had in fact messaged Ed Oxley to ask if he's ever experienced something similar to which he answered that there was 'plenty' of clearance with a CCDB shock. I cannot understand why anyone in QC or otherwise tech dept in On-One would knowingly send this out...?

My curiosity has been sparked though on discovery of a 'Rock Shox Rear Suspension' user manual in the bottom of the box and I suddenly recalled a conversation with On-One Customer Services about the inability to swap a Monarch spec'd EG frame with a CCDB spec'd EG frame when they originally phoned to say my original Black frame was not in stock but I could get one in Orange. Something about a CCDB frame needing to be 'rounded' to allow better fitment.

So I wondering if somehow mine is a frame and shock mismatch!? On the shipment box it is noted as having 'no shock' I presume on delivery to you in the UK where one is installed. Could a mismatch have occurred? Given the history of this thread... i'm guessing maybe?

I am hoping for the sake of others, that this may be the only instance of this...

My email to CS was logged very shortly after discovery of this issue and is currently logged on their support system. As yet though, not a peep from them....

Hopefully it won't be too much longer....

In the meantime I am only able to look at the beauty that is El Guapo but sadly can't build it up and ride it! AAAaarggh!

D

Ps: Did anyone who ordered a frame with CCDB shock get the shims and spanner that is supposed to come with the shock? I don't see any of this stuff!?

banned
    May 2012
    My FTM carbon also came with the top of the headtube lightly crushed in from inadequate packaging.(Ordered from U.S. Titus) I was too lazy to deal with returning it
    and just pounded it out and then filed the area until the headset bearing fit. Mine wasn't as bad looking as your headtube though.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    To be honest I can live with the chipped chainguide tab and at a push with a hammered out headtube but I worry about the tolerance issue... and then I stop and think F*!$ it this thing is supposed to be brand new and perfectly ready to be built up and ridden... this shouldn't be my problem to sort out!

So I called on-one CS today in the morning after having not heard from them since sending a message to them last week... there was a lot of confusion about the issue despite having logged it on the planet-x support system and having already sent pictures... was told returns dept would get in contact.... still waiting...

In the meantime checked on-one website regarding returns process. The preferred method is that you post it and claim back the postage costs and if you want a quick replacement its better to order again and claim a refund off the damaged goods!!

That's fine if you are in the UK... not so fine if you are more that 5000miles away!
    So out of interest I got a quote from UPS and FEDEX for shipping frame back to them from South Africa. £420 and £750 respectively! So I ask you where the logic in this process is!? Surely on-one would not cover such costs?

I honestly expect On-one to offer to send a courier to me for pickup given that its not my fault or issue that items received were damaged. Also that way they can use the special rate they enjoy with the couriers to bypass the exorbitant charges the common man has to endure...

The struggle continues...

Dont Rep me
    Geez, minimum 420 pounds for shipping?
    Guess I should be happy I'm only out $40 for returning my frame.

mtbr member
    Almost cheaper to fly over from SA yourself and hand deliver the frame.

Whereabouts in SA are you?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    In Durban on east coast. As it happens I am flying to London on Friday. El guapo was supposed to be used on my alps trip to les arcs and with a the qc issues I didn't know if she would get here on time and ended up renting. After the damaged shipment I'm now glad I did!

This is part of the reason why I'm desperate to get hold of someone in returns who might be able to offer advice on whether to take it as luggage or courier as package but using their account to get a better rate.

Since my last post only an auto response email thanking me for my message but no real result yet... By my rough calc its day 180 of my el guapo saga!

mtbr member
    I'm in Joburg.

A mate has the V1 EG and I have a V2

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Does anyone know what the wheelbase is on the revised V3 El Guapo.
    it looks like the UK distributor has them back in stock and Im trying to decide between a Medium and Large. the only geometry specs I can find are from the 2010 model and by the sound of the comments on this thread, it looks like there may have been some mid-model adjustments.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I guess I could measure my large when I get home, I reckon it must be fairly long as it feels very stable at speed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ps: Did anyone who ordered a frame with CCDB shock get the shims and spanner that is supposed to come with the shock? I don't see any of this stuff!?
    Yes, I did. You should as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Willyswildride View Post
    Does anyone know what the wheelbase is on the revised V3 El Guapo.
    it looks like the UK distributor has them back in stock and Im trying to decide between a Medium and Large. the only geometry specs I can find are from the 2010 model and by the sound of the comments on this thread, it looks like there may have been some mid-model adjustments.
    Large - Approx 1160mm with Lyric 170 and Smoothie Mixer

mtbr member
    May 2013

My Saga ends!... in a good way.

So I feel compelled to report on my El Guapo Saga and that it has officially ended with good news!

I now am the proud owner (one of only 3 in South Africa it seems) of my very own El Guapo with a spot on BB height and zero drop (running a 170 RS LYRIK RC), tolerance between rear CCDB eye and seat tube and no damage in transit.

Getting to this point has involved a lot of additional effort (since my last post) on my part to unpick stock issues/confusion at On One headquarters in Sheffield, remind Customer services to include the CCDB shims, spanners and documentation (previously not included), repack and adequately protect the frame delivered (which was also rattling around in its box) to me whilst on holiday in London for safe trip back to South Africa as additional baggage and also find a financially viable way of sending back the damaged in transit frame back to On-One.

I have learnt a lot of lessons in dealing with On-One from this experience but won't bang on about it any longer. There's been enough crucifixion in this thread already...

They must however be commended for sticking to their promise to sort out my problem even if it was a bit of a 'ball ache' for me to endure...

Also the complementary fork for the initial QC issues and delay; and later a complementary smoothie headset for additional mix-ups at On-One HQ are more than enough compensation for the frustration.

Last but not least, here is my creation. I have taken it out for a short test ride and 'the handsome one' is already turning heads wherever he goes...

Cheers
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?-el-guapo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have a V2....have there been any issues with the V2? I have read most of this thread but cannot search V2 since it being too short.
    X-prezo Super-D, 26in style.

mtbr member
    The bike is looking great. Must be a beast with the 170 upfront and the CCDB.

Chris told me about your issues when I saw him a couple of weeks after he got back from Switzerland.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey View Post
    I have a V2....have there been any issues with the V2? I have read most of this thread but cannot search V2 since it being too short.
    It was a V3 only issue. My V2 doesn't have any problem with the BB drop which is in spec.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Glad there was a happy ending. Go ride dude!!

mtbr member

So I feel compelled to report on my El Guapo Saga and that it has officially ended with good news!

I now am the proud owner (one of only 3 in South Africa it seems) of my very own El Guapo with a spot on BB height and zero drop (running a 170 RS LYRIK RC), tolerance between rear CCDB eye and seat tube and no damage in transit.

Getting to this point has involved a lot of additional effort (since my last post) on my part to unpick stock issues/confusion at On One headquarters in Sheffield, remind Customer services to include the CCDB shims, spanners and documentation (previously not included), repack and adequately protect the frame delivered (which was also rattling around in its box) to me whilst on holiday in London for safe trip back to South Africa as additional baggage and also find a financially viable way of sending back the damaged in transit frame back to On-One.

I have learnt a lot of lessons in dealing with On-One from this experience but won't bang on about it any longer. There's been enough crucifixion in this thread already...

They must however be commended for sticking to their promise to sort out my problem even if it was a bit of a 'ball ache' for me to endure...

Also the complementary fork for the initial QC issues and delay; and later a complementary smoothie headset for additional mix-ups at On-One HQ are more than enough compensation for the frustration.

Last but not least, here is my creation. I have taken it out for a short test ride and 'the handsome one' is already turning heads wherever he goes...

Cheers
    Dave
    Very nice Dave. I am glad that everything turned out well for you!
    My only objection, if I might say, is the very long stem. With 170mm fork it will "work" way better with a 50mm or 60mm stem.
    I think you should try and take a ride with one. It is more accurate.
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member

Re: Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?

Not to mention, it's also missing a seat dropper. You'll love it with a shorter stem, wide bars, and seat dropper.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2013
    A dropper seatpost is expensive.... But I have a birthday coming up so I'm holding thumbs!... Donations are also welcome :-) The stem on there is 100mm off another bike I stripped for the build. In the beginning it was just there to hold it all together... I have just got an 80mm stem and was running 750 bars so we'll see how that feels. I am 6' 4" with long arms and there's no el guapo frame in XL so a too short stem might feel a bit bunched up for me although the twitcher steering would be nice... Thanks for the comments/ tips.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What is the axle to crown on a Lyrik 170 as this is now the suggested fork length?!

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by saps View Post
    What is the axle to crown on a Lyrik 170 as this is now the suggested fork length?!
    555 millimeters

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hopefully all will be good with my El Guapo, can't wait to build it up.

mtbr member
    Can anyone confirm that the 26" El Guapos shipping from the USA location have all the issues sorted out? Specifically is the bottom bracket problem solved?

I have a friend ready to order but I was hoping to get confirmation that the frame he will get is sorted and will have none of the previous issues.

Thanks for any assistance!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm not an industry expert but as an owner of a low BB frame that was made good with a complimentary 170 fork, I would be very very very surprised if this wasn't completely sorted by now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Mine is fine, I picked it up with the CCDB.
    This frame replaced a 2010 Stumpjumper expert fsr and the geometry on the eg3 is so much nicer. Hard to explain but it feels much more natural in a corner than the stumpy.

Here's a short video at Downieville
    Downieville flat3 5-24-14 - YouTube

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey guys-
    I need a little help discerning which version a frame is. It is ORANGE with SILVER rear triangle.

Does that make it a V1? V2? V3?

I'm worried that if I end up with a V2/3 with the BB height issue, it wouldn't be appropriate for the tech riding around Austin.

I know you guys know much more about el guapo than I do, so I figured I'd come to the source.

Thanks in advance!

J:
    mbtr memebr
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Hey guys-
    I need a little help discerning which version a frame is. It is ORANGE with SILVER rear triangle.

I'm worried that if I end up with a V2/3 with the BB height issue, it wouldn't be appropriate for the tech riding around Austin.

I know you guys know much more about el guapo than I do, so I figured I'd come to the source.

Thanks in advance!
    Might be an orange of each version

1.5" HT= V1

Taper HT w/ no cable guides= V2-

Brace welded in front of brake mount , I think might be a V3

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Hey guys-

Thanks in advance!
    unfortunately, i don't think you can depend on the BB situation being specific to any height, whether it's V2 or V3. once On-One bought Titus, the manufacturing fiasco was on. you're probably well aware of that. if your buying used, you'd have to believe the seller being able to tell you what EXACTLY the BB was w/ the fork/headset combo he used. asking the current Team Titus what it will be would be gambling bigtime. you probably know all that too.
    good luck, since i think that's all you got, buying one of those frames. great ride IF your lucky enough to end up w/ one that works for ya.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Might be an orange of each version

1.5" HT= V1

Taper HT w/ no cable guides= V2-

Brace welded in front of brake mount , I think might be a V3
    Perfect-thanks for the quick response! V1 it is.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718