Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Interesting 650B tid bit here. I helped a friend build up a 650B today, I couldnt resist putting his Stan's Arch with a Nobby Nic 2.25 on the rear of my V2 EG. Had about 3-4mm of clearance at the chainstay yolk and about 2mm clearance at full suspension compression at the seatube. It was definitely tight but with a lower profile tire might just work.
    Good to know. Thx.
    My bombproof wheels are finally going to the grave... let's see if I can score a pr of 650 to tryout..

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by George Gr View Post
    Is your rear shock's pressure as it should be?
    I wouldn't think that would be an issue with no weight on the bike ... unless the pressure is REALLY low.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    In photos it looks like your string is not dead on center of the dropout. Maybe 3mm to 5mm lower.

150mm Rev is 530? 15mm A2C is probably 7mm difference? (Just measure the fraction of the string length where it passes the BB and multiply 15mm by that)

So with those two factors (if I eyeballed your string and dropout correctly) you would be pretty close to where it should be.
    i tried to align string with where centre of axle would be, not top of dropout. axle is 10mm so 5mm from top of dropout is right, right? but lower axle would raise bb, so that makes this even worse?

i'll check some things and report back. it's low, but it may be close enough to keep, i'm hoping.

edit:
    all right i gave myself a "virtual lyric"(TM,patent pending) with a ruler strapped to the Rev adding 16mm.
    this gives me bb drop of 8mm on the string. with 170mm cranks (I use anyway) i'd have pedals only 3mm lower than intended? (with my fork, err 8mm lower again?). also checked string at back is 5mm below top of dropout.

So what's the verdict, do i keep it or try to send it back again? bearing in mind it took 5 days of someone waiting in for courier, lots of emails/calls, 6 weeks or whatever till new frames arrive. and i don't even like dicking on-one around.
    Last edited by Smiff; 01-27-2013 at 06:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rottenronny View Post
    I wouldn't think that would be an issue with no weight on the bike ... unless the pressure is REALLY low.
    That was my point... You never know.
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    [QUOTE and i don't even like dicking on-one around.[/QUOTE]

YOU don't like dicking On One around?

THEY sure seem to love dicking us around
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Looking to place a order for a orange medium el guapo, showing two in stock, but a bit nervous to place a order if they are out of spec, has all the current stock been rechecked ?. I guess they could be old stock or maybe a recent delivery from late last year.

Also which hope headset would i need for a tapered steerer lyric ?.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i'd have to say don't buy the current ones, not sure how they're checking them but the first batch that have been through new jigging & qc method will be the ones in late feb/march?

honestly i think probably most V3 guapos sold up to now have been wrong, just different amounts of wrong (ok, if you're anal there's always variation, but i mean enough to matter). I also don't understand how Kineses can make other bikes ok (and previous EG ok?) and not these? and they're not misaligned in other ways? it's odd.

just confirmed with cranks fitted that i get -12mm, allowing for fork frame is about -8mm off. as that's about 1cm higher than before i'm considering keeping it.

recap: my 1st frame (first batch of v3) was about 17mm too low, current one (xmas 2012 ish, not sure when made) is about 8mm too low. so you could say it's half as bad. i don't know if they have got better generally or if they're all over the place and it's just the two i've had.
    Last edited by Smiff; 01-27-2013 at 11:32 AM.

U $ 4 O?

measure i2i?

Quote Originally Posted by George Gr View Post
    That was my point... You never know.
    RP23 used to do this after a service, needed to sit and cycle the shock couple times so pressure would equalize both sides of the seal..then redo psi

shock was at least .5" shorter until you do this

Oh, friends A-C on Rev is 529mm fwiw

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiff View Post
    I also don't understand how Kineses can make other bikes ok (and previous EG ok?) and not these? and they're not misaligned in other ways?
    Me neither. Odd story.

U $ 4 O?
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    Good to know. Thx.
    My bombproof wheels are finally going to the grave... let's see if I can score a pr of 650 to tryout..
    .. x2

mtbr member
    Actually, I wonder how much variation there is in most bike frames. I mean, who really checks their frame as closely as the people have done here. Not saying this is a bad thing, but I don't think this is a problem just with the EG (they just seemed to have screwed up something easy to tell!).

I can tell you, I looked at a bunch of specialized and trek bikes once and from one bike (Stumpjumper) to the next, the seat angle varied from a half a degree to 2 degrees. I even remember Turner stating (in some thread) that a degree difference is acceptable during production.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Actually, I wonder how much variation there is in most bike frames. I mean, who really checks their frame as closely as the people have done here.
    I usually do check when I get a new frame. Mostly for alignment and good enough facing though. Numbers on geometry had been difficult to check, as most manufacturers do not quote exact specification. Maybe that is the reason? My current frames are all bang on. But I would speculate that I am in a small minority - buying frames separately and building them up myself. I also weight all parts on a gram scale and rebuild forks before putting them on. Not a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Not saying this is a bad thing, but I don't think this is a problem just with the EG (they just seemed to have screwed up something easy to tell!).
    They are also brave enough to go to a discussion forum and acknowledge an issue. Props to them, actually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    They are also brave enough to go to a discussion forum and acknowledge an issue. Props to them, actually.
    I would agree on that.
    The whole problem started (for me at least) with serious pedal strikes and that was the case for the other guys also I think. I didn't took out of the blue a string and started to measure around.
    I was reading this forum occasionally because I knew that Brant is an active member which is a big plus to have a conversation with the designer when needed. And for me leaving in Greece and being the only one with a Titus here means that I didn't have the opportunity to share my thoughts and compare my frame with other guys.
    So when these think came up one think lead to another and here we are...
    Not a number phyco.... Just trying to enjoy my ride even more.
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I bought the last new batch Super Raw frame only a couple of days ago. I have not built it up yet but was promised by the guys at On One that this recent batch should have all the changes to the bb height in place.

I was told to build it up and before riding check it out via the string method. I honestly don't know if I can be bothered with the hassle or should just send it back after Smiff's findings. The frame was bought to be used in the Trans Provence race in October and I would prefer it to be bang on. I doubt a mere mortal like me will ever get the chance to enter this race again!

I know Brant is racing the Strafpuffer 24 hr race this weekend but I would be interested to know this thoughts on the recent findings by Smiff.

Lee.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by leejords View Post
    I was told to build it up and before riding check it out via the string method.
    You would only need to install lower headset cup and crown race to do a check, wouldn't you?

mtbr member
    Back from puffer.
    In the bath.
    Back at work tommorow.
    Sales order numbers help in tracking stuff down.
    My email brant at on one dot co dot UK

mtbr member
    May 2008
    fair point Vespasianus, it's just that when replacing frames i feel they really need to be careful that things are right! it's really disappointing to have similar problem again.

way back here i said i'd be happy with an extra 1/2" an inch that's 12.7mm. now i've got +10mm. i guess i'll be happy with that (even if it's still however much, not much, below the spec).

and yeah it's about the ride not the numbers, but every time you catch a pedal by a few mm, so you get reminded.. i want a bike i'll enjoy for years i'm not someone who switches bikes around a lot.

edit: hi brant, there's no immediate crisis here just stuff you already know about. also.. can't imagine riding for 24 hours that's insane, well done.
    Last edited by Smiff; 01-27-2013 at 02:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Axe,

I already have a fantastic AM frame that is mint with a CCDB and has gone with me everywhere. Alps, Whistler you name it. The thing is its a beast and even with extensive weight reduction it will be too much bike to take to the Trans Provence. Also, you mention just putting the lower part of the headset in and adding the forks. I don't have a parts bin sat to one side or kit ready for a new build. I would need to take the lower cup out of the frame and have it pressed in to the new one and I don't own a headset press. I wouldn't mind if there was a guarantee that it would be right but it seems its a lottery. So the bottom line is I would have to partly dismantle a bike that is in constant use, possibly pay to have the headset swapped over, to check an issue that One One promised me had been sorted. I even drove to them to pick it up which is 100 miles from where I live to give them the opportunity to test it while I was there, but they said they were too busy and it will be fine. Also I have a 170mm Marzocchi Rc3 ti so would be entering into the world of adding and subtracting to work out the difference. Surely this would have been easier for On one to check with an in stock 160mm?

Let me say though that I am a big fan of One One. My missus is an Elite XC racer and uses a Carbon Whippet and I have a Rockstar that helped my team win this years Mountain Mayhem. I think that its fantastic to have Brant come on here helping owners after a 24 hr race and all the times previous, however with this I think certain members of staff at the company have become too complacent about the issue. For the sales staff to tell you that everything has been checked and the new batch are fine to then saying when you arrive that you will have to check it when you get home is unacceptable to me.

Finally,
    Brant, well done on the puffer! Last time I looked you were doing a grand job in the pairs. Hope your drive chain made it through

All the best,
    Lee,
    Last edited by leejords; 01-27-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I already have a fantastic AM frame that is mint with a CCDB and has gone with me everywhere. Alps, Whistler you name it. The thing is its a beast and even with extensive weight reduction it will be too much bike to take to the Trans Provence. Also, you mention just putting the lower part of the headset in and adding the forks.
    Some cheap lower cup is like $20. You can press it in with a thin piece of wood and a small hammer in about 40 seconds. Seriously. Just lube it up and knock it in. Never a slightest problem.

Looked at your profile - that Orange is a sweet bike. But I do hate high single pivots. I currently ride a 170mm both ends, with Lyrik coil DH and CCDBA - I would not switch it for anything just to shave two or three pounds... I wish I could take it on such a ride. Maybe I should go for one of their supported tour over that route... Hmmm..

mtbr member
    . I even drove to them to pick it up which is 100 miles from where I live to give them the opportunity to test it while I was there, but they said they were too busy
    Sorry to hear that. I will discuss this with staff today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Cheers Brant,

Axe,
    That sounds like a sweet build! Bet it rides real nice. This has been one of the hardest decisions ever going for a different frame but it hasn't been taken lightly. Spoke to a mate who rode it last year and Ed Oxley and both agreed that an Alpine would be hard work for a week of 1500m daily ascents.

I just can't get it under 30 lbs without paying more than what it costs for the El Guapo frame. To take the Orange under I would need carbon wheels, which is madness when I already have Crossmax Sx wheels on there. Crazy to think you can get a frame and CCDB Air for half the price of a set of Gucci hoops. I do love On One for there more than fair pricing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Have managed to talk a mate who is a bike mechanic to come round this afternoon and help me get this thing measured out.

Amazing what people will do for the promise of beers and dinner.

Wait out for results

mtbr member
    May 2008
    test it just doing what i did a couple of pages back (i put both headset cups in and stem to hold it together, you have to get fork straight, in the headtube and across the frame. i have a proper headset press now which is being used a lot. don't need to fit a bb or anything else) should only take half an hour to check. there's a fair chance your frame is close enough? i dunno, they aren't all bad apparently..

mtbr member
    So, any formal answer regarding the issue?
    Is the problem solved or not?

mtbr member
    Have managed to talk a mate who is a bike mechanic to come round this afternoon and help me get this thing measured out.

Amazing what people will do for the promise of beers and dinner.

Wait out for results
    Your frame is from the new batch.

We have not found a frame from this batch that has BB height issues.

Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast