Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast
    U $ 4 O?
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    If the shock mount was pushed forward as suspected, a possible fix would be a longer shock. But it'd be fractions of an inch longer. Not sure if anything other than a custom cut/drilled/ano shaft would be possible.
    If you can't see a diff between your v3 and v1, longer shock wouldn't be worth it.. quarter inch between shock/rocker mount and seat tube isn't much but it'd fit a 8.75 shock, wonder what bbh would be ..

U $ 4 O?
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    Not sure how that would work?
    Not sure either, top shock mount position could've been measured and welded too far forward.. If there was extra space between rocker and seat tube it would be visible

mtbr member
    Not sure either, top shock mount position could've been measured and welded too far forward.. If there was extra space between rocker and seat tube it would be visible
    My theory! mine mine MINE!!!

Seriously I think this is what happend. After looking at the v1 and v3 it is the only measurment that I can take and get a difference on. But, with the longer TT of the v3 it's hard to nail it down with a tape measure and torpedo level.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Axe
    Custom User Title

Seriously I think this is what happend. After looking at the v1 and v3 it is the only measurment that I can take and get a difference on. But, with the longer TT of the v3 it's hard to nail it down with a tape measure and torpedo level.
    To move BB down about say 12mm, axle would be about 24mm higher, that corresponds to about 10mm at the shock, which is what the top tube was stretched, right? So they would have had their jig keyed on the headtube, and forgot to move it back with a longer TT.

Brant can possibly tell if that is indeed the case, but numbers seem to fit.

mtbr member

Can do a counter check.. apart from measuring the tiny gap-- take a ref point say the top of your seat tube to the center of the top mounting bolt on both your V1 and V3...

If it is any forward, this and the increase in tt stretching towards the front would both be factors affecting bbh (or logically I would think).

If you are onto it-- using a similar ref point method, go check where the lower mount is welded as well.. I suspect if the top is moved, to a certain extent the lower will also have to be in a new position for shock to fit.

U $ 4 O?
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    I suspect if the top is moved, to a certain extent the lower will also have to be in a new position for shock to fit.
    Logical

I'm thinking the top mount placement is referenced from the front, bottom measured from the back.. so, one or both still could be out until someone checks

Warp had a good point, earlier in the thread, I'm wondering where HA actually ended up

8.75, wouldn't that be a neat trick

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post

If you are onto it-- using a similar ref point method, go check where the lower mount is welded as well.. I suspect if the top is moved, to a certain extent the lower will also have to be in a new position for shock to fit.
    Shock is mounted to the linkage. It rotates to compensate.

The only thing that bugs me here is that obviously, at some moment in time somebody @Kinesis found the error and fixed it (since properly made frames exist). And nothing happened. Nobody was warned, nothing was recalled.

(I am following the story as I am also contemplating a Titus frame - my wife's Yeti is very long in the tooth). And I just build up a commuter from On One's Pompino..

I trust On One will fix the process with Titus, I just wonder when it is all good and safe and figured out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Maybe I can shed a little light on this subject.

First off, I was initially going to go with the El Guapo 29er. When I saw the first OP on the EG 29er, I was fully intrigued. I ride two 29er's now. After some time, no "real" time frame was announced for the EG 29er, so I moved on and bought an Intense Spider 29er. But, I still wanted an El Guapo, so I decided to look into the 26" model. I came to the Titus sub forum and started reading everything that pertained to it here. What's ironic is that I always bypassed this thread. Go figure. I was talking to a friend of mine who owns the V2 El Guapo and told him I was looking into buying one for myself. First thing he said was, "be careful, the BB on the new version has height issues". So I immediately came back here and read all 14 pages of this thread, and my head is spinning. I'm an educated man, but this BB problem is so far beyond my comprehension, it's mind numbing. I'm glad some of you understand it.

My next step was to contact Brant, who posts here regularly as you all know. I figured he would be the one to straighten me out. I told him I was interested in the V3 EG but that I had reservations. He replied within 10 minutes of my email with this response, and I quote, "the pre order ones are all good, and spot on specification" end quote.

So...my mind is somewhat more at ease after reading that. I will continue to follow this thread closely to see what, if anything, changes. The pre order price of $813.00 is so inviting, it's hard not to place my order.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Shock is mounted to the linkage. It rotates to compensate.
    Was working to get my bikeroom up and running earlier on while trying to multitask reading/ posting here.. clearly the circular saw and woodworking was affecting my neural pathway

U $ 4 O?

Torpedo your pinky finger between seat tube/shock, if it fits good to go

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    now i want to measure my BBH... =\

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny78 View Post
    now i want to measure my BBH... =\
    Stand with your back to the wall, tie a piece of string to..

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Stand with your back to the wall, tie a piece of string to..
    yup, gonna do...

mtbr member
    I've been following this thread for quite a while and I'm still not sure whether I have a V2 or V3 EG. Frame serial no. is KB60339039

Does one measure the BB height to the centre of the crank or to the bottom of the BB?

Edit: I guess I'll have to measure my BB drop as BB height is tyre and fork dependent.
    Last edited by The Thug; 01-20-2013 at 10:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ok, so i finally measured the bbh, and it's about 13".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thug View Post
    I've been following this thread for quite a while and I'm still not sure whether I have a V2 or V3 EG. Frame serial no. is KB60339039

Does one measure the BB height to the centre of the crank or to the bottom of the BB?

Edit: I guess I'll have to measure my BB drop as BB height is tyre and fork dependent.
    Roughly done by stretching a string between the center of the front and rear axles. That string line should roughly go through the center of the BB +/- one or two mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    breezy shade

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Not enough information. Measure the drop, and tell what is the fork length, including lower headset stack. But seems kinda low..

mtbr member
    Looks like my BB drop is spot on (give or take a mm or 2)

BB height with a RS Lyrik 160mm and Maxxis High Roller 2.35's is 13.2"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    well bad news for anyone waiting for a correct geo 26er v3! seems they got put on a boat instead of the plane. you can't make this stuff up mid-feb now maybe? this might only matter for pre-orderers or those waiting for replacements like me, though i might have one reserved in UK not sure yet (29ers are delayed also for a different reason, see brant's post in other thread..)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    From Neil Sutton at Planet X bikes:

"The replacement frames are currently on the water on the way to us and are due here early March".

FYI

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    On a slow boat from China?

mtbr member
    May 2008

that's going to HK, but you get the idea.

thanks Barry and Neil for sorting me out with a new frame! Quick Rug Test says BB is about 15mm higher but i'll put headset and fork in later to check before building further. also nice little clips to hold cables on without cable ties? and rocker matches rest of frame

mtbr member
    Well they aren't coming from China. They are coming from taiwan, the taiwanese get very insulted if you compare them to the chinese especially in terms of craftsmanship and quality. Takes about three weeks to from the time the boat leaves port until it arrives, then customs can be another 1-2 weeks.

Dont Rep me
    Is that shipment going to UK or US?

Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast