Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Look at some of the most popular bikes of late:
    Spec Enduro Evo - 13.75"
    Spec Stumpy Evo- 4mm drop
    (interesting that Specialized uses two different ways of measuring?)
    Blur TRc-13.1"
    Nomad C - 14"
    Ibis Mojo HD 13.8"
    Intense Carbine - 13.25"
    For the most part, lower BB's are just a learning curve, you learn where not to pedal. If I remember correctly my V2 was 0mm drop and it measured around 13.5".
    i'm not following your logic here. you're listing bikes between 14" & 13.1" as low BB bikes. 14 & 13.8 aren't in the trendy low BB category.
    when we bought the EG last January, the website listed it @ 13.8" BB. if it would have been true, the controversy would not exist.

you might be happy w/ yours, but that's you. plenty of people aren't looking to adjust riding styles just to avoid constant pedal strikes so they can be satisfied w/ a rediculously low bike.
    i really don't see ON ONE making good on this situation. so far, there seems to be no reason to think so.

anybody notice lately, as in the last few days, that on the Titus website the BB height has
    been changed from 13.6 down to 13.4? that's w/ a 160 fork, most being 545mm A-C.
    Last edited by nhodge; 01-10-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    breezy shade

on my 3rd wind...
    Yes low BB height are trendy, so I hear, but I dont buy my bike based on trend. I buy bike based on geo numbers I have in mind and type of riding I like to do. We need to compare apple to apple here. Six inch travel to six travel bike not lesser travel or longer travel bike. In my case my EG V3's bbh is around 12.7" or -18mm bb drop with correctly spec'd parts. Had I known this info prior I would be riding different bike now. Point is I was mis led on EG V3 geo number based on info from Titus. It just sux that I didn't find out about it until I had already spent the time and money.
    Last edited by SingleTrackHound; 01-11-2013 at 08:34 AM. Reason: edited to correct bb drop from -8 to -18mm
    sth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiff View Post
    that's a good point i'm not sure what chainring size the pivot is designed for. brant?

i run 36/24, it does bob quite a bit at back but i think that's more to do with my body bobbing than the drivetrain tension? without a brain shock i don't understand how any suspension can avoid this, unless you change to a shock with a firm LSC like fox propedal..
    What shock are you running? That's partly why I'm leaning towards the CCDB Air (with separate low/high speed compression) but I understand that they recommend running it in the position that results in a lower BB height. Their website lists 13.4" bbh with a 150/160 fork. I guess it also depends on tire size.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post

anybody notice lately, as in the last few days, that on the Titus website the BB height has
    been changed from 13.6 down to 13.4? that's w/ a 160 fork, most being 545mm A-C.
    It's about time they fix that 13.8 number that used to be on the site........ good, I think they should post the - bottom bracket drop on the chart as well

Fact is, the geo chart fudging dates back from the old Titus using a lower BB el Guapo..

Why? secret sauce? Think the 13.8 number was their way of easing Motolite owners to bigger el Guapo back in the day (remember ML BB was something like 14 maybe more?) Pretty sure OG Guapos I have tried had some drop.. V1 has 13.5 BB with 25mm rims (inner), 2.35 Muddy marry w/ tubes, there's drop on the V1, think about this for a minute and the V3 is not far from V1. Anyway, finally a true value is posted on the site
    Last edited by Deerhill; 01-11-2013 at 03:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

New question here.

Where are the pics

mtbr member
    i'm not following your logic here. you're listing bikes between 14" & 13.1" as low BB bikes. 14 & 13.8 aren't in the trendy low BB category.
    when we bought the EG last January, the website listed it @ 13.8" BB. if it would have been true, the controversy would not exist.

you might be happy w/ yours, but that's you. plenty of people aren't looking to adjust riding styles just to avoid constant pedal strikes so they can be satisfied w/ a rediculously low bike.
    i really don't see ON ONE making good on this situation. so far, there seems to be no reason to think so.

Maybe his brand ambassador tag is confusing him. Consumer forum. People with no vested interest in the brand are going to speak much more clearly when there is an issue, rather than someone who is floating on the periphery of the industry like craigstr. It does suck for people that the specs are off. Onone has been swapping frames but if their own specs are changing during that time I guess some people will still end up with a lower bb than they originally thought. What is the answer for them then? Full refund?

mtbr member
    Man, I hate to eat crow but Renegade no longer sounds like a crazy man anymore....

Bikes should not be like a box of chocolate...
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Man, I hate to eat crow but Renegade no longer sounds like a crazy man anymore....

, that title is for the "Ambassador"

====
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    I know Qbert and Renegade like to jump my case anytime I say something but you too NHodge? Why am I crazy? I would like to know? Brant has repeatedly said that Titus would remedy any frame with a out of spec BB and evidence shows that they have started to do that. They have also updated the outdated specs on the website. I'm sure none of you have ever made a mistake. Flame on boys.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    btw, has anyone with a small or large got this problem? seems to be only some of the early V3 mediums? is it even only medium raws?

having to wait in for courier is a kinda PITA, any chance of some free Merino for me too? about to get really cold in the UK..

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I know Qbert and Renegade like to jump my case anytime I say something but you too NHodge? Why am I crazy? I would like to know? Brant has repeatedly said that Titus would remedy any frame with a out of spec BB and evidence shows that they have started to do that. They have also updated the outdated specs on the website. I'm sure none of you have ever made a mistake. Flame on boys.
    was i refering to you

you didn't respond to your comment of everything from 14" down to 13.1" being in the low bb category. you recently said the BB was 13.5". checkout the responder's #'s following the OP to this thread

concerning Brant remedying the stuation, the current plan for us in the U.S is to send the frame to Portland, they'll check it & send the V3 out if they think a persons bike is out of spec. problem w/ that is it's only going to be minimally higher, nowhere near last Jan. '12's
    13.8 spec. you, Brant & On One seem to think that now that the geo.#'s on the Titus site [B]now[B[ say 13.4 BB, problem solved. it only took a year to list #'s that reflect accurately what a V3 w/ a 160mm fork gets ya? one whole year. wow.

so, either w/ get a new frame & start the learning curve, learn to love it or what? too bad?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    ====
    I would not say that. craigstr has been on these boards a long time and personally I value his opinion, regardless of his brand affiliation. He tried to make a point and renegade made a good counter-point.

People get upset when they expect something and get another. Titus/on-one say they will take care of any issues their customers have, and this is good. However, if you keep having issues like this, that is going to start to bite you in the ass eventually.

Just my two cents.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Brant & On One seem to think that now that the geo.#'s on the Titus site [B]now[B[ say 13.4 BB, problem solved. it only took a year to list #'s that reflect accurately what a V3 w/ a 160mm fork gets ya? one whole year. wow.
    Old EGs too, much longer

I would not say that. craigstr has been on these boards a long time and personally I value his opinion, regardless of his brand affiliation. He tried to make a point and renegade made a good counter-point.

People get upset when they expect something and get another. Titus/on-one say they will take care of any issues their customers have, and this is good. However, if you keep having issues like this, that is going to start to bite you in the ass eventually.

Just my two cents.

Good points, New Titus has to clearly advertise the right spec from here out.. have to start new some time

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiff View Post
    btw, has anyone with a small or large got this problem? seems to be only some of the early V3 mediums? is it even only medium raws?

having to wait in for courier is a kinda PITA, any chance of some free Merino for me too? about to get really cold in the UK..
    Large (Raw)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why is bottom bracket height on my new EG V.3 so low?-2013-01-11-15.24.32-1.jpg  

Outcast

Thank you Vespasianus. I may overlook that nasty neg-rep you sent me recently! [ They are no longer anonymous].

Craig, I am not carrying over my issues with titus/brant here. People have loww bb issues. My 13.8 bb quoted by the website for my 2011 frame became 13.5. As you have read above. I am not the only person qbserving out of spec claims by titus.
    Dude, you are one defensive guy.

Outcast
    No, I don't think so Renegade, I was responding to a recent post about 13-14" bb heights, saying that this is the trend. The V3 with a 4mm drop will be in the low 13's depending on tire and fork. Its obvious you have a beef with Titus and Brant, why dont take care of it personally and not pollute the air we breathe over here.
    My V2 was in the low 13's with big tires and 160 lyrik/
    Better hold your breath. if you don't care for "pollution", cause it's coming from more than a couple sources now. Perhaps you should desensitise yourself, for your own well being. And get use to it, because I will not give in to saying what I think is right because you are THE AMBASSADOR!

mtbr member
    I'm sure there are a lot more folks who just read but never comment on the forum.. would be good if more chime in to see how their issues/ concerns have been taken care off. A more objective view. I know a number of people who aren't bothered with the bbh so far and so its never an issue for them but like Vespa said... its important to sell according to what has been spec.

Trend for low bbh-- imo, will have to take into account the suspension system and see if it all works out as a trail ripping package. I have ridden bikes with lower bbh and get less pedal strikes than my old EG running 13.8". HL squats a fair bit into the travel unlike some of the newer designs.. so it just may not rock everyone's boat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    I'm sure there are a lot more folks who just read but never comment on the forum.. would be good if more chime in to see how their issues/ concerns have been taken care off. A more objective view. I know a number of people who aren't bothered with the bbh so far and so its never an issue for them but like Vespa said... its important to sell according to what has been spec.

Trend for low bbh-- imo, will have to take into account the suspension system and see if it all works out as a trail ripping package. I have ridden bikes with lower bbh and get less pedal strikes than my old EG running 13.8". HL squats a fair bit into the travel unlike some of the newer designs.. so it just may not rock everyone's boat.
    I will chime in. My V3 EG large has a low BB. Before purchase, I had read that the EG had a low BB and expected more than the average number of pedal strikes. I ordered a crankset with 170mm cranks to mitigate the strikes. And after pedaling the completed bike, I then ordered thinner and narrower pedals. I rode it for 4 months. So many pedal strikes (no surprise now) and bashed up my new XT crank arms in the process.

For a while I just thought this is how it is. But the bike was crap in the technical sections and I wasn't too thrilled with it from that perspective.

Thanks to SingleTrackHound for his astute observations and starting this thread. Thanks to him it all started to make sense.

I think Brant has done us all a service by admitting there was an error and suggesting a fix ("contact OnOne customer service" - which I have done). Some companies could have simply denied it. I have emailed photos and I am currently awaiting a response.

nhodge makes this point: " i really don't see ON ONE making good on this situation. so far, there seems to be no reason to think so". I can't say that I agree with that. Brant is already making the right noises about a frame swap on this forum and my own experience with OnOne customer service supports Brant's olive branch". I would judge that to be a satisfactory solution.

As for doctoring the specs on the website? Yes, I think it is cheeky. But think about it from their perspective. They have to do it at some point once they notice the error (or it is brought to their attention). But is it really going to make a huge difference to the bike itself? And then what should be done? I suggest that different people will have differing viewpoints on that one. And perhaps OnOne will have different solutions for different people depending on the individuals view. Brant states "anyone that has an issue should get in touch and we will work on resolutions", indicating a willingness to be flexible. Some have even mentioned that they may keep the bike as is. Personally, for me, I want to change to the correct frame as I do a fair amount of XC with it and find the extremely low BB a nuisance. But I can understand for some people that they might want a refund based on the shift in specs and then move on to another maker.

OnOne is in damage control mode on this issue. Different companies will have different ways of handling these kinds of crises. But in the end, they will do what they think is right given the circumstances. And it will be a balance between satisfying the customer to the best of their abilities without taking a financial caning. For me, I am willing to give the new frame a go. rob_g_clarkson say this about the new frame "ok... i hit the trails hard yesterday & the difference was noticeable on the first climb... great news... no more smashed pedals!"

For me, the jury is still out until I get the frame swap done. Yes it is a huge hassle of shifting parts, shipping, loss of personal time, loss of use of the bike, time spent reading this thread. But the milk has been spilled. I will just have to move on. Even Rolls Royce has recalls. It is just part of life. It isn't a perfect world. Some people can never be satisfied though (I'm not suggesting that this is you) and those folks will move on to another frame.

But in the end, all this mess aside (and perhaps even considering it), the EG is a wicked good deal if it rides like rob_g_clarkson says.
    Last edited by rottenronny; 01-12-2013 at 12:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rottenronny View Post
    As for doctoring the specs on the website? Yes, I think it is cheeky. But think about it from their perspective. They have to do it at some point once they notice the error (or it is brought to their attention). But is it really going to make a huge difference to the bike itself?
    I think those who trade the botched V3 for the proper one will like the intended spec.. 13.4" bbh is an awesome number on this bike w/ 160mm fork.. Very fast bike

mtbr member
    13.4" bbh is an awesome number on this bike w/ 160mm fork..
    It's damn sure better than the 12.75 with a 180 fork!

I'm not saying a whole lot about mine since I bought another bike. The EG has been shelved until I decide to keep the new ride or not.

I would love to swap my 160 float onto the v3 and try it with a "proper travel " fork but right before my v1 broke I bought a brand new set of 1.5 straight steerer uppers for that fork. Hind sight being 20-20 I should have future proofed that fork and swapped it to taper uppers.

My v3 is a pig with a low dirt-dragging belly right now. I'm still thinking about calling on-one/titus again to see what I can get done but I'm busy hating my new bike right now....and missing my perfect v1
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Thank you Vespasianus. I may overlook that nasty neg-rep you sent me recently! [ They are no longer anonymous].
    Renegade, I said you are not a crazy man, but you still could be an idiot!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post

My v3 is a pig with a low dirt-dragging belly right now. I'm still thinking about calling on-one/titus again to see what I can get done but I'm busy hating my new bike right now....and missing my perfect v1
    Do it. Call em.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    btw Smiff, i'm on a small.... just got verified with brant that my frame is one with the low bb and in process arranging for a replacement

i with rottenronny view on this, different people have different level of expectation and tolerance to issues... because of this i'm really glad that SingleTrackHound bring this up, Renegade brings attentions to the issue and Brant working out to fix this. All in all what matter to me is the open discussion of the brand in a community like this and the company willingness to fix the issue... otherwise i might not even aware of this... the bike ride very well although pedal strikes happens to me, it also happen to my buddies that it doesn't occur to me that the frame was out of spec.

despite knowing about this issue through reading about it from day one...only recently do i have time to check on my own frame when i need to fix my crank arm. yea low bbh dint bother me too much but it does sucks and bother me to have a product out of spec, it feels great that the company is taking care of the issue to replace it. despite the issue i had lots of fun on it..and hope it gets better with the replacement.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have a medium black ano frame which i purchased in august, originally intended to put some revs on it but returned them after reading many complaints about low bb. Wonder if on one know what dates these off spec frames were sold between or which sizes/colours were affected?

I'm waiting to plug an x fusion slant into it which has an a-c of 545mm (some as lyrik/36 @160), and will use a hope external cup F which looks about the same stack height as the on one smoothie mixer. Hopefully this will give me the correct on centre bb height, just need x fusion to shift their arses as i have no way of knowing if my frame is out of spec or not.

I'm pretty confident on one will sort out an exchange if it is out of spec as i have been impressed with their customer service so far. Will let you know the outcome

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'll chime in as well. This thread has both been very informative and entertaining to follow. It seems that the general consensus is that my V3 EG’s bb is “off spec” low (+/-13” RS Lyrik 115-160 U Turn/Kenda Nevegals 2.35/30% sag – don’t much care for 25%/medium frame/On One Smoothie w Ext Cup) but, not as bad as others here, while my Motolite’s bb is too high (14” Fox Talas 32/Kenda Nevegals 2.35/Medium).

I will have to admit that I enjoy the EG much more than the ML here in SoCal, mostly in the San Gabriel Mountains. While it’s true what everyone raves about the EG’s climbing and descending abilities, at the same time, I also have been experiencing much more pedal strikes on the EG on the technical climbs, aggressive pedaling, and the occasional chain ring hit on some drops. I am still running a triple and it just makes me nervous every time on some sections about getting hung up but, I am now adapting by making a conscious effort to power through and trust that momentum will carry me. I have also changed out my pedals to the ultra thin Canfield Brothers Crampon Ultimates. Although I do not have a lot of seat time with this yet, my initial impressions have been very positive as pedal strikes seem to have diminished quite a bit and have improved pedal clearance by approximately .3” over the DMR Mags.

With the low bb and the slacker geometry, the EG seems like a "safer" bike than the ML as it resist the temptation to catapult the rider over the bars. I do not want to give up this safety feature and have decided that I like the low bb but, also need to work around the pedal strikes with thinner pedals and maybe bigger tires. I keep thinking that a full lockout on the rear shock would probably have put this issue to rest for me.

As far as customer service at Titus Oregon goes, I have contacted them a couple of weeks ago to check my options on a potential frame swap. While the person that answered the phone was unaware of this particular issue, he did point me in Brant’s direction. As a business owner in a service industry, I understand that there are times when a product may fall short of expectations and that these are opportunities to remedy the issues and to really connect with the customer. As for the EG, I am still uncertain of its identity. Is it supposed to be the original V3 intended spec or that as a result of some error, and the inability to find a remedy, that the error has now become the intended spec. As it relates to future bike purchases, I will be a bit more skeptical with published specs (I don’t think my seat tube angle is 72.50 degrees). But, for now, the point is somewhat moot as I continue to ride and enjoy my bike.

I sense that there is not much that Titus can do for me as they are unable to deliver a frame with the original bb spec, and if they could, I am not sure that I will want one. But, for those that have bb’s a lot lower than mine, the corrected 13.4”bb spec will make a world of difference. I hope Titus takes good care of you so that you can continue to rip on the EG.

Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast