Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Who says the MotoLite cant climb

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Whafe 
#1 ·
Was stoked today, climbed this mean as hill, it is not rough but just dam steep. The guys I ride with have never seen anyone climb it, and these are all hardtail dudes, and good riders. So was stoked today to climb it. The shots do not give the steepness justice....

I couldnt climb this on the Id all the way either. Way happy camper with the ML. Throbbing climbing beast it is....

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Whafe said:
Was stoked today, climbed this mean as hill, it is not rough but just dam steep. The guys I ride with have never seen anyone climb it, and these are all hardtail dudes, and good riders. So was stoked today to climb it. The shots do not give the steepness justice....

I couldnt climb this on the Id all the way either. Way happy camper with the ML. Throbbing climbing beast it is....
Well, my ML cannot climb that hill, unless, that is, you change it's rider ;)

Pretty nice. I really love my ML, I just wish the rider were more adept. Anyway, I get's tons of fun with it, and that's what counts.

#3 ·
rzozaya1969 said:
Well, my ML cannot climb that hill, unless, that is, you change it's rider ;)

Pretty nice. I really love my ML, I just wish the rider were more adept. Anyway, I get's tons of fun with it, and that's what counts.
I stil have days where I could climb sh!t, have had two Saturdays in a row where i have been peaking, great fun. Man you know those hills where you zig zag up, that is so one of those, pics dont capture that fully, but believe me I was heaving for air at the top..... Come to Fruita and Moab with the Titus team rzozya, we would love to have your clan there

#5 ·
Warp said:
Go, Whafe, GO!!!! :thumbsup:

Now I'm jealous!

Hopefully tomorrow I will ride again after a pretty long hiatus... that Blade is begging to be beaten!
Thats what I was saying, get your skinny whafe body up there you long streak of weasil piss....

So happy to get a ride in, am usre our baby will come in the next few days, so no missing out on a ride...Sweet

Warp, you so need to ride your beast bro......................Have you given thought to coming to ride with us in Fruits., Moab........... I recall you menitoned you may go to Interbike etc

#6 ·
Whafe said:
Warp, you so need to ride your beast bro......................Have you given thought to coming to ride with us in Fruits., Moab........... I recall you menitoned you may go to Interbike etc
Working it out to convince the wife... I have enough miles for a round trip to the US, but nothing sure yet.

But I'd love to go... you bet on that!
Wife has some stuff planned around those dates....

#7 ·
Warp said:
Working it out to convince the wife... I have enough miles for a round trip to the US, but nothing sure yet.

But I'd love to go... you bet on that!
Wife has some stuff planned around those dates....
Would be great to have you there for sure... Wil have many good vibes coming your way...

What will be will be.............................................

#8 ·
Whafe said:
I stil have days where I could climb sh!t, have had two Saturdays in a row where i have been peaking, great fun. Man you know those hills where you zig zag up, that is so one of those, pics dont capture that fully, but believe me I was heaving for air at the top..... Come to Fruita and Moab with the Titus team rzozya, we would love to have your clan there
I'd love to go, but I really think it will be a hard. I'll see :)

#9 ·
I am a better climber also since I have the ML. There is a steep climb around that I could never clear on my Kona Dawg, but on the ML I did it three times already. Great bike.
I also bought some flat pedals and went out to learn the bunny hopp and the wheelie... It is a huge difference without being clipped in...It is fun. :)

#10 ·
kovi said:
I am a better climber also since I have the ML. There is a steep climb around that I could never clear on my Kona Dawg, but on the ML I did it three times already. Great bike.
I also bought some flat pedals and went out to learn the bunny hopp and the wheelie... It is a huge difference without being clipped in...It is fun. :)
for sure in the old days, we were beasts on flat pedals, going back to them can seem real hard, it is just loads of patience

Glad you are climbing more on the ML also, yeah ha.......:thumbsup:

#12 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
That hill is missing rocks, roots, and anything more than a gentle gradient. Otherwise pretty nice for a comfy ride for an afternoon.
Sure is a smooth one, as I said in my orginal post, not at all technical except super steep, also mentioned that indeed the picture does not really represent the steepness.

But me being a bum and all and you being superman, am sure your RFX would just piss up this hill in your large ring................... I will be that good oneday, hope so anyway........

#13 ·
Whafe said:
But me being a bum and all and you being superman, am sure your RFX would just piss up this hill in your large ring................... I will be that good oneday, hope so anyway........
LOL. I can vouch that the motolite kicks the crap out of my RFX on anything going uphill.

likewise the RFX is better going down. I suppose I could put the 66 and michy 2.5's on the motolite for the ultimate all-mountain combination, but it would be shame to subject the motolite to anymore abuse than it already sees. I'm still feeling guilty about this 5' to flat/off-camber drop I botched on whistler's west-side 2 weeks ago. :madman:

So Jerk, are you pondering buying a titus? Or just here to make friends? ;)

Attachments

#15 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
Friends....
Please enlighten me with your definition of friends? I mean this in a serious way, because the way I see it, your definition is vastly different from most people on these threads.... So please enlighten us, so as we can work out how you tick, work, operate etc etc .......

Cause some days, you haev either backed over your cat, poisoned your dog, your wife has left you for your best mate etc etc etc...........................

So spill the beans Jerk Chicken, even the name conjours up stuff.....:D

#17 ·
The camera definitely flattens trails. I'm sure it was steep, but the pictures don't show it. Helmet video cams do the same thing. I've gone down scary steep stuff followed by a rider with a video cam, and it seemed like it was flat. I think they should put a little meter in the cameras that will print the gradient onto each photo/frame.

#19 ·
Suicider said:
Whafe if you think that's a display of the steep climbing a Motolite can handle, just wait till you go to Moab. After a couple of rides there 45 degrees doesn't even trigger the "this is steep" nerve any more.
Now that I am looking forward to. I totally agree with all the posts, it does not look steep, but I have seen no one climb this piece of track, so was stoked to.................. Main reason I guess I was so stoked was that the Id was a climbing machine, and I couldnt get up this piece on the Id......................

But yep, cannot wait for Moab etc, have seen so many pictures etc, want to experience that area for sure. Steepness with traction will be amazing.

#21 ·
dulyebr said:
Whafe, did you leave the Pike max'd out at 140mm during the climb?
Duly, sure did, have not touched the travel since you mentioned to try not to, so thats around 3 weeks now, have got used to the height etc and adapted me climbing to the fork and bike...

So all good really. Has taught me to move my weight around and find the balance points etc

#26 ·
barelylegal said:
for sure its Not me.... My ML climbs like a mountain goat:) .... I am sure it will be better if I am riding your Super Bling bike:thumbsup:
maka me laugh................. Yep they all climb great................:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.