Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Sold it already. Not impressed to say the least.
    Last edited by NslrPrtn; 07-10-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Axe
    Custom User Title

Who is ordering a fireline EVO?

Quote Originally Posted by NslrPrtn View Post
    Did anyone have to prep their head tube? I have a 110 EC49 lower and there is no way it will press in properly without a 20mm deep ream job. Anyone else use a cane creek ec49 or King Inset 3 and NOT ream?
    I thought those 49mm are 11mm deep cups?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    digging this thread up! How has a whole year+ gone by and nobodies posted ride impressions or a product review?

I'm looking for something a little lighter/more XC than my honzo, the fireline evo ticks the boxes, is now available in the US, but there's a serious lack of quality information on this frame. Specifically looking for sizing/fit info and comparisons against other known AM 29'ers.

U $ 4 O?
    x2 serious lack of quality info..SLOQI
    ©

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    x2 serious lack of quality info..SLOQI
    What is SLOQI? Oh I get it!

I'm about ready to take one for the team and just order one up and see for myself.

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    I sold my Honzo to get a TFE for the same reason.

The frame arrived in a crappy reused box with two pieces of crappy reused cardboard thrown in and a wadded-up 12"x12" piece of bubble wrap for good measure. The frame looked like it survived shipping less a few scratches and bent ISCG tab. Upon further inspection I noticed the HT was slightly ovalized and had an extremely rough inside wall; it was never reamed or faced and no one has that capability around here. Secondly, the ST ID was too large. My Thompson post had zero resistance and even had enough room towards the bottom of the post to rock back and forth. Thirdly, the joints at the ST/TT/CS were not symmetrical (I'm an anal engineer) which caused some concern about failure at that point. I just wrote all of this up as "ya get what ya pay for". Once I managed to get it built up I was not happy with how the bike felt (on not in) and worried if it would hold up overtime.

Personally, if I were in the Ti trail 29er HT market again I would look more closely at the 420 or a used Raijin.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I sold my Honzo to get a TFE for the same reason.
    Thank you for the info! Sent you a PM for some details.

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Thank you for the info! Sent you a PM for some details.
    I would try and track down some owners of newer production frames and see if these issues have been rectified. I was quite aware that I was buying a Fileline, but the overall quality was questionable too.

steep fast and loose :)

Fwiw mine is a fileline and has been superb. Rides like my ti456 but with the benefit of 29", brilliant on groomers ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hey, I have been meaning to write a review for a while, but have not had the time. Anyway, here goes.

I purchased the EVO back in February when Planet X has the “Fileline” models available. I wanted to get a 29er hardtail for riding smoother, hillier terrain, and for doing my one race a year (24 hr, 4 man team). The goal was to get something with somewhat slack head angle so that the transition from my Banshee Rune wouldn’t be to different (steering wise, anyway), and reasonably light. I also wanted some thing with short chainstays for handling, and of course a frame that looks sexy too is always nice. I was originally thinking of the Canfield Yelli Screamy because the geo looked good.

Fortunately, I had the opportunity to demo a few 29ers, Kona Kahuna, Stumpjumper FSR EVO, and the Kona Honzo. I liked the steering of the slack 29ers (Stumpy and Honzo), but I found that on my local trails (all rocks and roots), the Honzo beat the crap out of me. I literally was unable to sit down for even a minute. It was like riding an iron girder. Or perhaps I am complete cream puff. I quite surprised by this, as I have an old Kona Scrap (hardtail) that I take out every once and a while to make sure I don’t get too lazy. The Scrap feels like a magic carpet compared to the Honzo. So I started to think that the Yelli may be too stiff. So I started looking at Ti (Carver420, Kona Raijin). When the “Fileline” deal came up, it checked all the boxes, so I couldn’t pass it up.

Frame came nicely packed from On-One UK. The seat tube was over sized but I managed to fix that by epoxying a beer can shim to take up the slack. I filed out my brake tab mounts as per their video. Everything else went together just fine.

Due to financial limitations, I was not able to get the final components for the build until June. I got the EVO built up 2 days before my 24hr race. I rode it around my yard and it seemed nice and snappy. She was light at the pedals and wheelied no problem. The first shake out ride was the pre lap the night before my race. It felt great. Climbed well, felt awesome on the descents, and I managed to get the cockpit setup bang on first try.

On race day, it was more of the same. By my 4th lap, I was feeling super comfortable on the bike. I was taking every drop/jump with no problems and having a great time. My ass was less sore than the previous year when I took my full squish. Even on my last lap (#7), I was still having a great time, bunny hopping root sections, and really leaning her over in the corners. The race was probably the most fun I have had on a bike in about 4 yrs.

How it rides. I have it set up with a Revelation set a 130mm with 20mm axle, drive train is 1x9, 30th front, 11-34 rear. I like to stand and climb as it works better for my back, so this set up has been good. At the race, the EVO climbed everything straight no problem seated or standing. Excellent traction with the Kenda Karmas set up tubles, up and over roots no problem. Switch backs were fine seated up to a certain point, and then the bike just wants to really lean over. I found standing while climbing the tight switch backs worked best. I just let the bike lean between my legs and keep pedalling and she would keep going. I was very happy with how she performed.

Once I got back home, it was time to try her out on the local trails, which are all technical. My first couple of rides in I wasn’t sure whether I was going to like her or not for technical riding, but after about a half dozen rides I was starting to get used to it. For the technical, there are only a couple of issues. For really steep climbs, I find she does want to rear back, most likely due to the short chain stays. The other issue I have had was on technical climbs with multiple steps. She seems to get hung up if the steps are too close. Most likely this is operator error, but there are still have a few climbs I have not been able to do on the EVO that I can do on my Banshee. But, by the end of the season, I was not really missing my full squish.

So, for me as least, this bike has been everything I was hoping for. She is also the first bike I have had were I am not thinking about replacing her at some point. Hope that helps.

I will try and post up a pick or two when I can get a chance.

Cheers

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Awesome guys, thanks for the info!

Would you mind posting your heights and sizes? I'm 5-9", 29" saddle height from BB, and leaning towards the 18" (which looks closest to the M yelli screamy on paper).

I think it's a done deal then, I'll be ordering one up after the holidays. I will plan on doing a thorough QC check before building up, just in case.

FWIW I've had a long string of AM hardtails- most recently a Medium Yelli Screamy (2 seasons), followed by a small Kona Honzo (built last winter). The Yelli was awesome and I rode the sh*t out of it. The Honzo is super fun, but it doesn't offer any advantages over my Banshee Prime for longer rides/big climbs, which for me is the whole point of owning a hardtail. The Honzo was also an interesting sizing experiment- the "fit" is fine, but with the short stays and stiff ride I find it gets knocked around on rocky high speed stuff. The Yelli was quite a bit more compliant despite being aluminum, and the geometry worked better for long rides.

Thanks again for the info.

U $ 4 O?
    Sounds like some things have been ironed out (didn't read through everything in the link). What's the difference between the Fireline and Fileline? guessing it couldn't be a typo at this point
    ©

FM
    luxatio erecta
    What's the difference between the Fireline and Fileline? guessing it couldn't be a typo at this point
    Having read through all 24pages of the singletrackworld thread...."Fileline" is what people were calling the v1 Firelines which had some QC issues with uneven brake posts and slightly loose seat tubes. The brake mounts could be fixed by filing hence the name.

182cm with 34" inseam on an 18" with 800mm bars and 50mm stem , rides great.

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Having read through all 24pages of the singletrackworld thread...."Fileline" is what people were calling the v1 Firelines which had some QC issues with uneven brake posts and slightly loose seat tubes. The brake mounts could be fixed by filing hence the name.
    The brake mount's threaded holes where too close together and so the caliper mounting holes had to be made larger with a file in order to fit (shimano brakes, I think, required more filing then others). I also noticed that the brake mounts were not square to the caliper once in place; i.e. the frame's brake tab faces where not on the same plane.

U $ 4 O?
    The brake mount's threaded holes where too close together and so the caliper mounting holes had to be made larger with a file in order to fit (shimano brakes, I think, required more filing then others). I also noticed that the brake mounts were not square to the caliper once in place; i.e. the frame's brake tab faces where not on the same plane.
    hmm I need to do more reading on this then.. that sounds unacceptable

.., but it doesn't offer any advantages over my Banshee Prime for longer rides/big climbs, which for me is the whole point of owning a hardtail. The Honzo was also an interesting sizing experiment- the "fit" is fine, but with the short stays and stiff ride I find it gets knocked around on rocky high speed stuff. The Yelli was quite a bit more compliant despite being aluminum, and the geometry worked better for long rides
    Feel the same way about what a hardtail should be, if it can't handle the rocks then I don't want it (and not a fan of wheelie climbing, too short CS= overhyped). On the fence weather to get steel vs ti.

btw anyone know how many versions there are of this Fireline?
    Last edited by Deerhill; 12-20-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: forgot to quote NslrPrtn
    ©

FM
    luxatio erecta
    hmm I need to do more reading on this then.. that sounds unacceptable
    Thats not a knock on the Honzo so much as a glowing endorsement for the Prime. I've ridden mine on the shore, in whistler bike park, lots of DH, but also on overnight XC rides and many big climbing XC days. It's a versatile bike, pedals great and can be built up reasonably light.

I would say the Honzo (especially the 16" frame for my height) is a "play" bike- fun descender, great jumper and pumptrack bike, as good as a 29'er can be for that stuff. But I have those bases well covered with the Prime, what I want a hardtail for is the longer summer XC rides (Eastern Cascades) with fun geometry. The Yelli Screamy was a better fit for that stuff (though not as good as a jumper as the Honzo). I'm hoping the Fireline is closer to the Yelli Screamy.

My one reservation at this point is sizing (and funds, it is the holidays!). The Fireline has a long head tube and wacky reach numbers (i.e. the 20" Fireline has a shorter reach than the 16" Honzo?) I have to think the geometry charts aren't correct. The 18" Fireline looks close to the medium yelli screamy (except longer head tube) so I'm leaning that way.

Plenty of time to ponder my options...

U $ 4 O?
    Thats not a knock on the Honzo so much as a glowing endorsement for the Prime. I've ridden mine on the shore, in whistler bike park, lots of DH, but also on overnight XC rides and many big climbing XC days. It's a versatile bike, pedals great and can be built up reasonably light.

I would say the Honzo (especially the 16" frame for my height) is a "play" bike- fun descender, great jumper and pumptrack bike, as good as a 29'er can be for that stuff. But I have those bases well covered with the Prime, what I want a hardtail for is the longer summer XC rides (Eastern Cascades) with fun geometry. The Yelli Screamy was a better fit for that stuff (though not as good as a jumper as the Honzo). I'm hoping the Fireline is closer to the Yelli Screamy.

My one reservation at this point is sizing (and funds, it is the holidays!). The Fireline has a long head tube and wacky reach numbers (i.e. the 20" Fireline has a shorter reach than the 16" Honzo?) I have to think the geometry charts aren't correct. The 18" Fireline looks close to the medium yelli screamy (except longer head tube) so I'm leaning that way.

Plenty of time to ponder my options...
    I edited my post to quote NslrPrtn regarding the brake mount being out of specification. I'd need to find out which version has the straight tabs.

Yep, it's the 20" I'd be looking at too and rubber clearance.. With you on the other stuff, have those bases covered as well. HT 29er that can crush uphill chunk and bomb the same stuff w/o pinchflatting might be my next go to for when it's blazing hot out. Maybe sshadley or similar mmm
    ©

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Ah gotcha!

U $ 4 O?
    I like this brant, others over 67.5º = too steep and too expensive

Keep remembering the tubes on that large Titanium FTM.. so amazing, always wanted it as a 29 hardtail.

HT looks similar on Fireline...Need Sexy Ti

*minus the reoccurring quality control issues of course
    Last edited by Deerhill; 12-23-2013 at 09:44 AM.
    ©

FM
    luxatio erecta
    The Fireline has a long head tube and wacky reach numbers (i.e. the 20" Fireline has a shorter reach than the 16" Honzo?) I have to think the geometry charts aren't correct. The 18" Fireline looks close to the medium yelli screamy (except longer head tube) so I'm leaning that way.
    follow up... michael at Titus/ Planet-X USA was super helpful today and took some measurements for me. Basically confirmed the 18" is the size I am looking for (it's actually got a similar front-center/reach to my small kona honzo).... so the 16" fireline would be shorter than I am looking for.

He also confirmed the QC issues (loose seat tube, funky brake posts) have been resolved.

will post an update after the holidays!

U $ 4 O?
    follow up... michael at Titus/ Planet-X USA was super helpful today and took some measurements for me. Basically confirmed the 18" is the size I am looking for (it's actually got a similar front-center/reach to my small kona honzo).... so the 16" fireline would be shorter than I am looking for.

He also confirmed the QC issues (loose seat tube, funky brake posts) have been resolved.

will post an update after the holidays!

Nice. Jealous on the smaller frames overlap @ the HT.. FM do you have a 160mm pike on that Prime? Happen to know if it can be lowered into this AC range w/ solo air spring?
    ©

FM
    luxatio erecta
    FM do you have a 160mm pike on that Prime? Happen to know if it can be lowered into this AC range w/ solo air spring?
    I've got the 150mm. I am pretty sure the travel can be reduced, but not sure if it can be increased from 150 to 160... don't really feel the need tho. Awesome fork!

The fireline will get the parts off my Kona, including a 140mm fox 34rlc. I may reduce the travel, will ride it first and then decide. 120 is a sweet spot on 29er hardtail IMO, but it's really about getting the right fork length for handling.

MTB B'dos
    Far as the RS tech says, no, only 140mm and 150mm. This move of theirs to Solo Air really does make it more of a PITA to switch travel settings, not to mention the now actual cost of having to purchase separate air springs depending on the travel you want. FYI, from the posts I've read from owners of both Pike and F34's, a 140mm F34 is only a few MM shorter A2C than the Pike @ 150mm, so hardly any effect on geo if you do go for the 150mm PIKE.

Nice. Jealous on the smaller frames overlap @ the HT.. FM do you have a 160mm pike on that Prime? Happen to know if it can be lowered into this AC range w/ solo air spring?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast