mtbr member

Whistler Ride Report

Update of Whistler for people considering the July 28th Titus trip to Whistler BC.

Just finished 2 days at Whistler MTB park. On Day 1 (Sunday) there were already a good number of people there, and a lot of open trails. I spent most of my time on Crank it Up/B-line, Devils Club, and Heart of Darkness (all blues). All the jumps are great. Both A-line/B-line, HOD, and CIU had really nice jumps. The jumps this year have more "Wu" in them. Thus, they launch you a little higher than before. The shape was perfect for most of them. The second jump of CIU had a stream running just in front of it, and it made for a 'big hit' obstacle rather than a jump. Overall the amount of snow was very low mid-mountain with all of the snow gone at the bottom. Also, I saw a female bear with 2 baby cubs who must have only weighed 15 pounds.

Crank it up:
    good condition, jumps excellent except one (see above). Wall rides and other obstacles unchanged, bumpy as usual.

B-line:
    unchanged from last year. jumps excellent.

Heart of Darkness:
    more flowy than usual. Jumps the most fun for me, with lots of airtime, big landing area thats forgiving, and super sweet transition to that uber fun drop.

A-line:
    Same as last year except the opening obstacle is bigger and better, with great jumps which have way better shape than last year. Techie section unchanged, but more mud than usual.

Devils Club:
    IMO the most technical blue. The elevated 'skinnies' were so slick on Sunday that I skipped Angry Pirate altogether this trip. Much improved on Monday with only a few sketchy sections.

Lower Whistler Downhill:
    Free of wet and mud, rocky section dry and just as 'oh ****, did I just ride that' as usual. The semi-drop from the big hill, real nice.

Karate Monkey:
    This one I thougth would be too wet, but as I rode it on Monday, it was really nice, with just enough moist soil to give better traction, but not get too muddy.

Ho Chi Min etc:
    Nice short techie, unchanged.

Other open trails that 'other people' were riding: Angry Pirate, drop zone, Schlayer, Fantastik, olympic XC, Easy Does It and 3-4 more I cant remember the names of.

Of note, work progressed on GLC. There are 2 completely new tables, one of which is HUUUGE (the other simply HUGE). The entry section from top of lower A-line is now a Quad jump, I think meant to be landed as a double-double or a triple-single. There look to be many more 'play areas' in the middle of GLC, some of which almost looks like a little pump park (BMX-like). The local girls and 10-year old shreaders were making the scary stuff look like cake, wow! Weather was awesome, with only a few minutes of sprinkles on Sunday.

I am stoked for the end of July. The mountain looks to be drying out fast. Its going to be crazy when they finish whatever they have planned for the GLC drops, I'll watch from the pub with a beer in my hand and some tasty grub. See you all who can make it in a few weeks! Stay safe, getting hurt really cramps your progression.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

Trophy Husband
    rdhfreethought

Excellent update. I was supposed to go Sunday, but chickened out because of the weather. Sounds like I missed a pretty good day.

I think you rode the chairlift with my buddies (they ride an uzzi and nomad). They said they met someone with a Supermoto (extremely rare in the PNW)...said is was a warranty replacement for a quasi-moto. I see you have both and I connected some dots.

Anyhoo, I'm gonna give it another go on Wednesday. Try and escape the heat down here...supposed to be mid 80's in Bellingham, and get up and try out the new lips on A-line.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Yep, I remember them. They said they knew a SM guy, was wondering if it was someone here. Lol, he was saying something about you spending more time looking at spreadsheets (to get that 'perfect' ride setup) than riding lately. Hopefully, you can remedy that soon

Regarding Titus at Whistler. I have never seen a SuMo, or any other Titus in the lift line there. Each time I go, I do see 1-2 Intense, but they are also a rare breed up there. So many good local bikes (Norco etc). Its nice to stand out. We will surely draw attention in July.

Its nice to know that even with how big Whistler is, you can still come across people, and friends that are otherwise only digital bytes and pixels. Let us know how your trip goes!

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought
    he was saying something about you spending more time looking at spreadsheets (to get that 'perfect' ride setup) than riding lately.

LOL!!!

go ride your bike geo.... quit being a rock nerd.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    LOL!!!

go ride your bike geo.... quit being a rock nerd.
    ... yeah, and go buy an effin Suntour or whatever, but you'd rather slap a fork on that frame you have laying around...
    Check my Site

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    ... yeah, and go buy an effin Suntour or whatever, but you'd rather slap a fork on that frame you have laying around...
    eff you guys. I ride my bike. I rode my bike for three hours this morning. I have more than one frame lying around you know.

Now everyone knows I'm a nerd!

Screw you guys, I'm goin' home.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    I rode my bike for three hours this morning.
    Now I'm really jealous... I wish I could say the same.

Dang family, effin job, stinkin' city... I still recall the days when I just came back from school, change my clothes and hit a trail... Of course, my parents would have not supported my current UGI'ditis, but that matters little when you actually ride. You're so busy riding, that wasting time putting components on the bike is senseless.

Those were the days...

eff you Geo for reminding me of that...
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Now everyone knows I'm a nerd!
    Hey, I think we are all nerds. I mean look at all the posts? But who cares, we ride, love thinking about riding, and love talking about thinking about riding. As long as every now and then we actually DO ride, its all good. To be honest I can only handle about 4-5 hours of Whistler at a time before my hands and fingers start giving out. My last lift ride was with this local hottie. She had been riding straight from 10am-5pm, and I was dying after getting a late start. We hit it off a little bit on the ride up, all was going well until we got off, and bam she said 'cya' and tore off for Angry Pirate. Now, normally I would follow a MTB hottie with a sweet A$$, I mean, personality, like that anywhere, and Angry Pirate can be real fun. But, just as her rejection (or was it a challenge) started to sink in, I had a vivid flashback of the last time I rode AP. Not so sweet memories of 'my boys' meeting my stem/top tube, and then launching over the bars onto my head, with my bike crashing back down, once again on my nads...well those memories are thankfully few and far between. I was not in any hurry for a repeat episode of that, being my last run of the day and all. Even as I stared remiss at her backside as she rode off down across to the first skinny, I couldnt help but think I had made the right choice. 10 minutes later, on Heart of Darkness, I managed to slip a pedal, and BAM, testicle sandwich! The morale...never let a hottie mountain biker out of your sites, no matter what the risk. Worst case scenario is you crash and can blame it on her mezmerizing physical attributes. Best case scenario, she takes pity on you and ....yeah, like that ever happens. I guess we can just ride, and hope the hotties aren't so repulsed by our mediocre yankie skillz that they refuse to even ride near us. That would be a triumph. A small one to be sure, but a triumph nonetheless.

thats right living legend
    Hey, I think we are all nerds. I mean look at all the posts? But who cares, we ride, love thinking about riding, and love talking about thinking about riding. As long as every now and then we actually DO ride, its all good. To be honest I can only handle about 4-5 hours of Whistler at a time before my hands and fingers start giving out. My last lift ride was with this local hottie. She had been riding straight from 10am-5pm, and I was dying after getting a late start. We hit it off a little bit on the ride up, all was going well until we got off, and bam she said 'cya' and tore off for Angry Pirate. Now, normally I would follow a MTB hottie with a sweet A$$, I mean, personality, like that anywhere, and Angry Pirate can be real fun. But, just as her rejection (or was it a challenge) started to sink in, I had a vivid flashback of the last time I rode AP. Not so sweet memories of 'my boys' meeting my stem/top tube, and then launching over the bars onto my head, with my bike crashing back down, once again on my nads...well those memories are thankfully few and far between. I was not in any hurry for a repeat episode of that, being my last run of the day and all. Even as I stared remiss at her backside as she rode off down across to the first skinny, I couldnt help but think I had made the right choice. 10 minutes later, on Heart of Darkness, I managed to slip a pedal, and BAM, testicle sandwich! The morale...never let a hottie mountain biker out of your sites, no matter what the risk. Worst case scenario is you crash and can blame it on her mezmerizing physical attributes. Best case scenario, she takes pity on you and ....yeah, like that ever happens. I guess we can just ride, and hope the hotties aren't so repulsed by our mediocre yankie skillz that they refuse to even ride near us. That would be a triumph. A small one to be sure, but a triumph nonetheless.

"El Whatever"

Bro, you gotta post more often!!!
    Check my Site

Trophy Husband
    ...and BAM, testicle sandwich!
    Hilarious!

BTW, it'll be 79 degrees in Whistler today. I better take my sunscreen...and my A-game, just in case I run into any local hottie a$$.

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    52 sleeps for me....GAWD i gotta stop counting the days....it's gonna KILL me!
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

Trophy Husband
    Whistler was hot yesterday. Trails were in the best shape I've seen...only a few small puddles on the freshly opened Dirt Merchant. Yup, Dirt Merchant finally opened yesterday and it made our trip.

Anyhoo, I won't post much more, cause most of you could give a rats a$$ about Whistler, but it was a blast.

Oh, the bears are out in force! Best shot of the day...watching a bear take a huge dump right in the middle of A-Line.

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Oh, the bears are out in force! Best shot of the day...watching a bear take a huge dump right in the middle of A-Line.

No pics...?
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you