Made in the U.S A.?

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by wentzville
    Made in the U.S A.?

Mine was...

Paper or plastic?
    Made in the U.S A.?
    This has been covered ad nauseam in this forum. If I remember correctly, the front triangle is made in Taiwan by Kinesis, the rear triangle in the US, and the tubing comes from the US of A.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

It DOESN'T MATTER

Ellsworth frames are made in Vancouver, Washington and they have all kinds of crap wrong with them. Long Ellsworth bashing story...so boring. The only place you are going to get meticulous welding is in SUPER high-end frames like Moots, Seven, etc. My Turner frame doesn't have those welds--nor does it need 'em. Why? As long as high end materials are used, who cares where the frame was built. A pothead in Washington State or a $2 an hour Pacific Rim guy. All the same to me.

Jaybo

PS they should be paid more than $2 an hour.

Do It Yourself
    AFAIK, the Worth brand tubing is made in the US, the special weld-rod is made in the US, the rear stays are made in the US, the machined bits (e.g. bb shell/main pivot) are mfg in the US, the front triangles are just welded and finished in Taiwan, and then the frames are assembled back in the US. But check with Titus directly to get it straight from the source.
    Long Live Long Rides

Bike to the Bone...
    Made in the U.S A.?
    2006 are made by Kinesys in Taiwan. 2005 were made by Kinesys in Oregon, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    2006 are made by Kinesys in Taiwan. 2005 were made by Kinesys in Oregon, I think.

When are you gonna start reading the reply's... LOL just messig with ya man.

Kinda...

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    When are you gonna start reading the reply's... LOL just messig with ya man.

Kinda...
    ..what? somebody said something?.... oh, yeah, and how am I supposed to keep my post count up then?

Ha!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    ..what? somebody said something?.... oh, yeah, and how am I supposed to keep my post count up then?

Good point... true, true.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You can get meticulous welds from super high-end frames like Titus as well. The Ti frames have 'em. Had a Moots, both great bikes.

"Its All Good"
    Maw ha ha ha, mine is full pure US of A made. Dam could almost get a green card being that patriotic (spelling?????)

It is amusing, when you look at the logistics, ship the US made tubing to Taiwan, get them welded, ship the front triangle back to the US, re check... Really hard to see how it can be worth, now I am a realist, so know it is worth it. But still kinda makes my mind tick..........
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Tonight we ride.
    ^^ I don't think it is worth it. We need to keep such blue collar jobs in the U.S. whenever possible IMO, and I am more than willing to pay a little extra for my frame to be welded here. Not to mention, when a frame is made 100% in house, the quality control is better and the final product is better. Sorry Jaybo, but it does matter.

Oh and BTW, the welds on my '02 SB are much better than those on an '06 ML I recently saw. Meticulous is exactly how I would describe the welds on my frame. Every bead is perfect.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Okay

Quote Originally Posted by fonseca
    ^^ I don't think it is worth it. We need to keep such blue collar jobs in the U.S. whenever possible IMO, and I am more than willing to pay a little extra for my frame to be welded here. Not to mention, when a frame is made 100% in house, the quality control is better and the final product is better. Sorry Jaybo, but it does matter.

Oh and BTW, the welds on my '02 SB are much better than those on an '06 ML I recently saw. Meticulous is exactly how I would describe the welds on my frame. Every bead is perfect.
    I'm not sure I buy that an in house product is always better than an oversees' product. Again, check an Ellsworth frame out some time. A bunch of young guys make Ellsworth for pedestrian wages but they do try hard. The key is the engineering behind the product. Historically, Titus and Turner among others have had good engineering while Ellsworth's has been shoddy. The big E seems better now. All that aside, you are probably right about the welds. I sat on a Motolite today and didn't think it looks as nice as my old Switchblade but I would rather ride the Motolite due to a better design.

Jaybo

ಠ_ಠ
    so what are you gonna do J?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I'm not sure I buy that an in house product is always better than an oversees' product. Again, check an Ellsworth frame out some time. A bunch of young guys make Ellsworth for pedestrian wages but they do try hard. The key is the engineering behind the product. Historically, Titus and Turner among others have had good engineering while Ellsworth's has been shoddy. The big E seems better now. All that aside, you are probably right about the welds. I sat on a Motolite today and didn't think it looks as nice as my old Switchblade but I would rather ride the Motolite due to a better design.

Jaybo

Those are some strong points, from a diffrent perspective.

I like it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    while Taiwanese frames have gotten better over
    the years, in general, though, I still dont think
    theyre quite up to the quality of the US frames.
    Workers are paid better in the US; therefore theyre
    happier and do a better job. The US factories are
    also a lot smaller than their Asian counterparts, so there
    can be more attention to quality control. The workers
    are not under pressure to put out a certain number of
    frames per hour. This was a factor
    I considered when looking for an FS bike this year.
    From what I've heard, Titus now only makes the
    carbon fiber rear ends in the US. Everything else was
    outsourced to Asia.
    Perhaps this was one of the reasons Chris left Titus.
    One can only speculate as to why theyre having a fire
    sale now. But, of course, how the bike rides is the most
    important factor - and I suspect Taiwanese bikes are
    built well enough for the most part. Specialized are also
    made there, and obviously, many people like those.
    Now bikes made in China of course are junk.
    Taiwanese bikes are a far cry from China.

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by coati
    while Taiwanese frames have gotten better over
    the years, in general, though, I still dont think
    theyre quite up to the quality of the US frames.
    Workers are paid better in the US; therefore theyre
    happier and do a better job. The US factories are
    also a lot smaller than their Asian counterparts, so there
    can be more attention to quality control. The workers
    are not under pressure to put out a certain number of
    frames per hour. This was a factor
    I considered when looking for an FS bike this year.
    From what I've heard, Titus now only makes the
    carbon fiber rear ends in the US. Everything else was
    outsourced to Asia.
    Perhaps this was one of the reasons Chris left Titus.
    One can only speculate as to why theyre having a fire
    sale now. But, of course, how the bike rides is the most
    important factor - and I suspect Taiwanese bikes are
    built well enough for the most part. Specialized are also
    made there, and obviously, many people like those.
    Now bikes made in China of course are junk.
    Taiwanese bikes are a far cry from China.
    dude you got problems... you are so out of touch it is silly.

FYI, your blur was made there too. outsourced and made by kinesis. when kinesis closed its Portland shop. titus... santacruz and others sadly found themselves in a situation where they sell Asian made bikes or no bikes. if you want proof, just search the posts made by tituschris.

and if you think US mfg isn't under the gun to turn out product, then you are living in a very sheltered sagur coated dream world. I'm an engineer and deal with manufacturing here and abroad. the parts i design are made in every corner of the globe. and you can find just as many crap shops here as abroad. you just can't be a racist and lump an entire country into one bin, every vendor is different even in asia. some of thease guys run world class shops, and they learned how to do it here, and are bank rolled by local government.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    at least the retail on the ML is now down to what you might expect with a foreign-mfg frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    dude you got problems... you are so out of touch it is silly.

FYI, your blur was made there too. outsourced and made by kinesis. when kinesis closed its Portland shop. titus... santacruz and others sadly found themselves in a situation where they sell Asian made bikes or no bikes. if you want proof, just search the posts made by tituschris.

and if you think US mfg isn't under the gun to turn out product, then you are living in a very sheltered sagur coated dream world. I'm an engineer and deal with manufacturing here and abroad. the parts i design are made in every corner of the globe. and you can find just as many crap shops here as abroad. you just can't be a racist and lump an entire country into one bin, every vendor is different even in asia. some of thease guys run world class shops, and they learned how to do it here, and are bank rolled by local government.
    Your rants are making you sound like some 16 yr old poseur, demo_slug.
    Did you bother to check the kinesis website before you posted this ?
    They closed one factory in Portland, then opened a newer, smaller one.
    That is where all blurs are made, as well as Turners.
    You can also verify this by calling SC and asking them yourself.
    SC does have other frames made in Taiwan, such as the chameleon
    and the superlite, but according to them, blurs will always be made
    in the USA. I checked this before buying the bike myself, and my bike
    shop called SC and asked them where the frames were made also.
    Its not my problem that you are so apparently into promoting Titus
    that you are willing to spread disinformation about other bikes.

Ti is addictive
    Um........ Turners are made by SAPA in Oregon. And they were the ones that had bad welds on the locomoto run that Titus gladly recalled and dealt with.

Paper or plastic?
    Your rants are making you sound like some 16 yr old poseur, demo_slug.
    Did you bother to check the kinesis website before you posted this ?
    They closed one factory in Portland, then opened a newer, smaller one.
    That is where all blurs are made, as well as Turners.
    You can also verify this by calling SC and asking them yourself.
    SC does have other frames made in Taiwan, such as the chameleon
    and the superlite, but according to them, blurs will always be made
    in the USA. I checked this before buying the bike myself, and my bike
    shop called SC and asked them where the frames were made also.
    Are the pivots bearing that you'll be changing regularly also made in the US?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

"El Whatever"
    Coati... I took the time to check the Kinesis site (www.kinesis.com.tw) and the latest "News" there were their moving to a bigger facility back in 2002.

However, I found this press release from when Kinesis sold off Mountain Cycle to Ideation Industrial.

You can fin it here: Kinesis sells Mountain Cycle
    It was published on July 15th, 2006.

The important parts are these:

"Kinesis operated a frame-making facility in Portland until last year to serve high-end U.S. customers, but shut it down because of high overhead and sold off most of the equipment."

"Kinesis USA will remain in Portland and continue as a servicing site for the company.

“We remain the extension of the Kinesis global sales department, servicing all the U.S. customers and consumers. If they have any requests, they can come to me,” Chen said.

In addition to its original equipment frame business, the U.S. branch handles a motorcycle parts and accessories business, Universal Engineering, which Kinesis started up four years ago"

And no... SC's are not made at SAPA as Turners. At least a quick Google search for "SAPA Santa Cruz" did not returned any link that provided info about it.

Apparently, SC receives the frames stripped and paint them at home. They get it done they way they want and save 10 days from Kinesis shipments.
    Check my Site

Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Um........ Turners are made by SAPA in Oregon. And they were the ones that had bad welds on the locomoto run that Titus gladly recalled and dealt with.

I was just gonna say that! Turners are not made by Kenisis!

Well I suppose Demo "could" be wrong, but Coati you have consistently made wildly inaccurret statments, on this board, so until someone else proves other wise I'll go with Demo on this one. Whome "so far" is pretty much never wrong, when making a statment on this board.

But if he is wrong, I suppose 1 out of about 10,000 won't hurt his stats much...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bad welds?

Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    I never really bought that. If it was only the welds then why did the Locomoto go to an X style front triangle vs. the curved TT they had earlier?

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast