mtbr member

New question here. Where to get ISCG tabs machined?

Any sugestions on where I could send stinky to get the iscg tabs knocked back 2mm? I want a chain guide for my 2x9 but I'm not willing to space my bottom bracket out. Idealy I'd like to have just the tabs machined down and the BB shell left alone. But if I have to have the whole face knocked back that's fine.

Want to keep it here in the US and would like it to be some one who knows what they are dealing with.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    You want to face it back 2.5mm, that is the increment that most guide companies supply spacers for. I wouldnt face the bb shell if you can avoid it. I would try a decent machine shop, they should be able to figure it out. Seems nobody bought the tab facer tool for the hammerschmidt, thats what you really need. One thing to beware of is that the entire tab will be thinner and prone to bending or breaking if you bash it hard enough after you remove that much material, bolts will also have much less threads to grab.

mtbr member
    You want to face it back 2.5mm, that is the increment that most guide companies supply spacers for. I wouldnt face the bb shell if you can avoid it. I would try a decent machine shop, they should be able to figure it out. Seems nobody bought the tab facer tool for the hammerschmidt, thats what you really need. One thing to beware of is that the entire tab will be thinner and prone to bending or breaking if you bash it hard enough after you remove that much material, bolts will also have much less threads to grab.
    Still have alot of leftovers after the shop closed. Might end up buying the hammer-shi+ facing die and doing it myself. figure I canhelp some one else down the road. I didn't relize it's just a larger die with a larger opening in the middle.

And I thought about the local machine shops but I don't trust them with my frame. the head on my eclipse though.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hammershitface.. was about to say eff it and score the 2.5mm, use the dremel then file sob down. Good point on the thickness though...

mtbr member
    Yeah I'm not into making it any more weak. I'd rather have it not fit than have it not work right.

mtbr member
    Terrible, what cranks you running?

mtbr member
    V1 has a pair of shimano xt's and a CK bottom, V3 has a pair of LX and ck BB.

Plan is a blackspire 2x for v1 and move v3 into a 1x. Shouldn't have any issues with the 1x on v3 since I will be removing the granny but the v1 will need some work.

I've been shopping around for a shiftable 2x9 guide like the mrp but havn't been able to get any info to find out if it will work with 9 speed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I need that 22 and largest shiftable ring for double then maybe, wonder if the dbl 10spd crank is compatible w/ 9spd chain. .

mtbr member

I almost faced mine...

Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Any sugestions on where I could send stinky to get the iscg tabs knocked back 2mm?
    Apart from what Craig said about too little thread left for the bolt to grip... u probably have to find a really short bolt for the hole nearest to the bottom tube. The tab is fairly close to that wide tubing. Tried on a couple of bolts and always end up using an old and short flattop one from a E13 DRS. Might have been one of reason why the ISCG has been not recessed all this while.

Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post
    I need that 22 and largest shiftable ring for double then maybe, wonder if the dbl 10spd crank is compatible w/ 9spd chain. .
    Your best bet would be SRAM 9 spd chains.. they can just fit thru. I know some frens who get them to work on Shim 10 spd cassettes personally. Not sure if it works for SRAM's own 10spd though.
    Last edited by anvil_den; 09-05-2012 at 10:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    Your best bet would be SRAM 9 spd chains.. they can just fit thru. I know some frens who get them to work on Shim 10 spd cassettes personally. Not sure if it works for SRAM's own 10spd though.
    Interesting the chains are different width, are the sram/shim chainring material diff thickness as well?

I need to look into this closer to see if i can maybe keep my shim 9spd cassettes and cost down. Hmm my truvativ chainrings only @$20 to replace

mtbr member

Pretty sure the MRP 2X works with 2x9

Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    V1 has a pair of shimano xt's and a CK bottom, V3 has a pair of LX and ck BB.

Plan is a blackspire 2x for v1 and move v3 into a 1x. Shouldn't have any issues with the 1x on v3 since I will be removing the granny but the v1 will need some work.

I've been shopping around for a shiftable 2x9 guide like the mrp but havn't been able to get any info to find out if it will work with 9 speed.
    I remember reading about it somewhere. Give Noah Sears a call over at MRP.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post
    Interesting the chains are different width, are the sram/shim chainring material diff thickness as well?

I need to look into this closer to see if i can maybe keep my shim 9spd cassettes and cost down. Hmm my truvativ chainrings only @$20 to replace
    To see the diff, easiest to mount a clean chains on the cassette--note the space in between the chain and the next ring. It should be pretty clear from there....

Ring width... I dont think they are all that different. notable thing to me is apart from the ramping on the ring body, Shim also seems to have more shift features incorporated on the tooths. technically I think all of them states as 4mm thickness but this is not uniform.

Used to run total Shim drivetrain on all my mtbs including chains. Switched over to SRAM 9 spd chains for 3 years now... Pros and cons though, the PC971 (equivalent to the XT chain/ KMC X9 93) don't last as long but shifts a little quicker.. so in a way it compensates for a little on the 2:1 ratio on my shifters vs the SRAM 1:1. Movement is sort of in between that of a 9 spd and 10 spd Shim/KMC roadie chains.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post

Ring width... I dont think they are all that different. notable thing to me is apart from the ramping on the ring body, Shim also seems to have more shift features incorporated on the tooths. technically I think all of them states as 4mm thickness but this is not uniform.
    Cool.. Just might work then