mtbr member
    May 2009

where can I find a Racer-X or RX1 seat stay?

Hello.
    The dropout on my RX1 is compressed and apparently I have to change the seat stay to fix this.
    Can anyone tell me where can I buy a seat stay? Finding a used one would be best, but I have really no idea where to look for one, so a new one would also do :-).

The bike is new and I have not ridden it yet. It's just sitting upside down in my living room making me sad. Please help me get them out on the trail where they belong.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomwolf
    Hello.
    The dropout on my RX1 is compressed and apparently I have to change the seat stay to fix this.
    Can anyone tell me where can I buy a seat stay? Finding a used one would be best, but I have really no idea where to look for one, so a new one would also do :-).

The bike is new and I have not ridden it yet. It's just sitting upside down in my living room making me sad. Please help me get them out on the trail where they belong.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    New bike with a problem, I am confused. What is wrong with it?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The problem with it is that the dropout is compressed a bit on one side, so I can't insert the
    wheel (and this makes it difficult to ride them).
    The bike is new but I bought them on eBay.

mtbr member
    The problem with it is that the dropout is compressed a bit on one side, so I can't insert the
    wheel (and this makes it difficult to ride them).
    The bike is new but I bought them on eBay.

For new stays, I would contact a Titus dealer like bikerbob and see what he can do for you. New stays run a couple hundred bucks, I think.

Also, got any pics?

mtbr member
    May 2009

I did contact a Titus dealer

They were very helpful even though I didn't buy the bike from them, but they could only offer me new carbon seat stays which cost closer to 700USD, which is more than I can/want to pay.
    I also contacted Titus directly, but they don't have aluminum seat stays and offered I buy carbon ones.
    The same thing was with Backcountry.com, which offered me to buy a new RX1 frame for 890$, but didn't have any seat stays
    I am guessing I will end up having to buy carbon ones, but I am trying to find ones that I can afford.

You can see in the pic that the dropout and the hanger are not aligned because the dropout is compressed (the hanger is new and straight).

Any other suggestions besides bikerbob (whom I will contact and hope for a happy ending)?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    They were very helpful even though I didn't buy the bike from them, but they could only offer me new carbon seat stays which cost closer to 700USD, which is more than I can/want to pay.
    I also contacted Titus directly, but they don't have aluminum seat stays and offered I buy carbon ones.
    The same thing was with Backcountry.com, which offered me to buy a new RX1 frame for 890$, but didn't have any seat stays
    I am guessing I will end up having to buy carbon ones, but I am trying to find ones that I can afford.

You can see in the pic that the dropout and the hanger are not aligned because the dropout is compressed (the hanger is new and straight).

Any other suggestions besides bikerbob (whom I will contact and hope for a happy ending)?
    Wow, call me crazy but I would just shave that bit off and ride it. Am I crazy?

mtbr member
    May 2009

actually, not so much..

Shaving it off is also what the mechanic at the Titus dealer store offered to do..
    If the price ends up being too steep that's probably what I'll do, but I wanted to find out what my other options are.

So you also think shaving this off is a good solution? any one else thinks that?

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

File away

I've had to do it on a used Racer X. So far not a problem.

File carefully and just enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bummer.

Thats clearly a QA issue with Titus and I would hope they would offer you a better solution then $800 bucks. I would try to file it off as well let us know how it goes
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    May 2009

Titus just got back to me

With news that they found me a blue aluminum seat stay :-)
    I am now waiting for part and shipping costs to see if this is a feasible solution.
    I'll come back with the details and I hope you can help me decide whether to buy or to file.

Thanks everyone for the help so far.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ok, so I got the details from Titus and these are the options:

File the drop out and hope there is no further damage anywhere. ~ 35$ to pay the bike mechanic to do.
    Buy the aluminum seat stay from Titus. 100$ if I can install it myself, some more if I need to pay the mechanic to do it.

What do you suggest?

mtbr member
    Ok, so I got the details from Titus and these are the options:

File the drop out and hope there is no further damage anywhere. ~ 35$ to pay the bike mechanic to do.
    Buy the aluminum seat stay from Titus. 100$ if I can install it myself, some more if I need to pay the mechanic to do it.

What do you suggest?
    I would do both. Buy the stay from Titus for $100. Save it. File the drop out and ride it until something happens.
    Last edited by Vespasianus; 05-27-2009 at 04:51 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'd much prefer it if something didn't happen. Especially not while I am on the bike.
    Guess I will do both. A 100$ is much better than 700$.

I guess this is probably redundant thing to say in this forum, but well done Titus for good customer service. :-)