mtbr member
    Jul 2006

What's up with chainreactioncycles Vitus brand?

To me it seems that they are trying to play on Titus's name unfairly. If I were On-one/ Planet X, I'd consider suing. I remember in the 90's when Vuarnet sunglasses successfully sued Arnet sunglasses to change their name to Arnette because of name similarity, despite Arnet being the name of the founder of the company.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=49199

Discuss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whambat
    To me it seems that they are trying to play on Titus's name unfairly. If I were On-one/ Planet X, I'd consider suing. I remember in the 90's when Vuarnet sunglasses successfully sued Arnet sunglasses to change their name to Arnette because of name similarity, despite Arnet being the name of the founder of the company.

Discuss...
    Titus was an emperor from Rome. Vitus was a saint from Sicily. I don't see the confusion. I don't think Titus was that big over in the UK prior to the bankruptcy, so what would be the point.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Companies protect themselves from similar sounding or looking brands all the time to prevent confusion. Specialized has sued and won over companies outside the bike industry for using a similar "S" logo. I just looked and saw that Vitus is a brand name from way back, just resurrected, I didn't know that. Their logo just seems very similar, almost same script. I just started seeing the banner ads on websites and their logo look really similar to Titus over the last several years.

Trophy Husband
    To add to the confusion...I believe one of the Vitus designers is Brandt Richards...former On One employee/designer.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Discuss...
    Vitus has been a bicycle brand since (at least) the '70s. They made "glued and screwed " aluminum and carbon frames. Cast al lugs and small diameter tubes.

They also make steel tubing used by other bike brands.

CRC has just acquired the brand name.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    To me it seems that they are trying to play on Titus's name unfairly. If I were On-one/ Planet X, I'd consider suing. [/url]

Discuss...
    Stupid idea even to consider suing, the Vitus brand is decades older than Titus and the European court decisions will not typically grant major compensations for either party in any case.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the history lesson on Vitus, never seen them before their recent ad blitx on cyclingnews.com. Suing would be stupid, a cease and desist letter would be a more appriopriate for stopping a similar logo. I really didn't mean sue for compensation, just name protection.