Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

What is up with Titus?

I have been wondering this for several months and can't hold it in any longer. There hasn't been a new product update on the Titus home page since January. From what I can tell, the catalog section of the website hasn't received a major update since 2011. The Twitter feed hasn't been updated since the 4th of July sale. Then a few weeks back, the On One/Titus/Planet X store goes through a mysterious overhaul. Did I miss something? Can someone update me on what is going on with the brand?

mtbr member
    They primarily sell 26" bikes, which are dead. People have been waiting for the 29" EG. The FTM never took off. The EG-lite, or whatever it was going to be called, is a year late - and is a 26" bike.

Not sure what Titus will be in a year...
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thought Brant came around to the idea of 27.5 wheels.. maybe not?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    27.5 may be in the Titus future, but there are a few projects yet to come to fruition...

@Deerhill: Brant did create a 27.5 model for On-One, The 45650b
    45650b | Brant Blog | News - As Seen On TV

@Vespasianus: The EG "lite" TR26 model is on order. The EG29 had some geometry tweaks done and both models are due to be released January/February 2014.

The staff at Planet X USA / On-One / Titus Cycles in Portland, Oregon are plugging along. The Titusti site is long overdue for an update. Twitter/Facebook/Instagram accounts are being delegated. The mysterious overhaul was due to unsuccessful recovery after a glitch eliminated a bit of data.

There are a few things going on at Planet X that are still in the shadows, some have come to light.

-Planet X has licensed the Tomac brand name and has put in orders for frames to be produced by Saratoga Frameworks (Serrota Cycles). Johnny T will have input.

-Planet X has some other brands in it's sights for 2014

screamer
    Personally I think a major consolidation of the three (now four!?!) brands is in order. Hard to build up market presence when you're carrying a bunch of different websites, a bunch of different product lines (many of which overlap significantly), etc. The whole enterprise has a bit of a "fell off the back of a truck" or "look what we found in the back room" vibe to it. Charming as that is, it's not a good way to build excitement and generate sales. No wonder people are scratching their heads trying to figure out what's going on. Must be difficult even for the people who work there!

Make it simple: Planet X for road, Titus (or One One) for mountain.

I say this as an owner of 3 On Ones, and a Titus in the past.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Budgie, I can hear what you're playing...

With the UK doing a good bit of business across the Atlantic, we here in the US are ramping up to get the our side of the business going. What had been 2 guys running a business from the ground level of a skateboard half-pipe in a Portland warehouse is now 4 guys working as a team to make some waves in the Portland bike market and byond. Lots of 'behind-the-scenes' variables to deal with: parent company on a different continent in a different time zone; Communication lag time - We speak English and... They ARE English; Transit times for shipments from the UK, among others.

We now have a full retail spot in Portland, attached to our own warehouse/shipping & receiving hub. We are doing full bike builds, custom builds, in-house wheel building for some Planet X Pro Carbon wheels, full professional bicycle fitting with the Retul System. We are at local events: Cyclocross races, Triathlons, Road Races, Bike Expos.

Titus, as great of a brand and line that it is/was, had various loose ends to deal with. Our customer service has been top notch. Follow up & follow through, is close to 90%.

Planet X these days is about pro tour level road bikes. On-One is, lets say, Surly with a side of fish & chips and a pint of Old Speckled Hen.

Planet X & On-One only have a couple of overlapping models: PX Dirty Harry carbon 29" HT & OO Lurcher carbon 29" HT. BUT... they have very different geometry and only one is convertible to a true single speed. Titus, which is predominantly full suspension these days currently only has one overlap, Rockstar 29 and the On-One Codeine 29. BUT.. The Rockstar is a 100mm travel XC/Trail 29er and the On-One Codeine 29 is a longer (128mm) travel, alloy 29" full suspension.

Planet X / On-One / TitusWe're working on it. With the UK doing a good bit of business across the Atlantic, we here in the US are ramping up to get the our side of the business going. What had been 2 guys running a business from the ground level of a skateboard half-pipe in a Portland warehouse is now 4 guys working as a team to make some waves in the Portland bike market and byond. Lots of 'behind-the-scenes' variables to deal with. We now have a full retail spot in Portland, attached to our own warehouse space. We are doing full bike builds, custom builds, in-house wheel building for some Planet X Pro Carbon wheels, full professional bicycle fitting with the Retul System.

Titus, as great of a brand and line that it is/was, had various loose ends to deal with. Our customer service has been top notch. Follow up & follow through, is close to 90%.

Planet X & On-One only have a couple of overlapping models: PX Dirty Harry carbon 29" HT & OO Lurcher carbon 29" HT. BUT... they have very different geometry and only one is convertible to a true single speed. Titus, which is predominantly full suspension these days currently only has one overlap, Rockstar 29 and the On-One Codeine 29. BUT.. The Rockstar is a 100mm travel XC/Trail 29er and the On-One Codeine 29 is a longer (128mm) travel, alloy 29" full suspension.

Planet X USA is here and we are striving to do the best that we know we can.

screamer
    All good, thanks for the response. Sorry if I came on too strong: I really did mean it as constructive criticism, coming from a satisfied customer.

I do think there's a strong brand identity that could come out of the Yorkshire-Portland "wet wool & dark beer" axis. *****ing bikes for abysmal weather, at the best value around. Looking forward to seeing it develop further!
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    @ mtnwrench- Still only 4 in the entire US outfit? I kinda guess the rest of the situation described before but to do all that with the manpower so far. You guys still deserve a pat no matter what. Make that 2.

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnwrench View Post
    27.5 may be in the Titus future, but there are a few projects yet to come to fruition...

@Deerhill: Brant did create a 27.5 model for On-One, The 45650b
    45650b | Brant Blog | News - As Seen On TV

@Vespasianus: The EG "lite" TR26 model is on order. The EG29 had some geometry tweaks done and both models are due to be released January/February 2014.

The staff at Planet X USA / On-One / Titus Cycles in Portland, Oregon are plugging along. The Titusti site is long overdue for an update. Twitter/Facebook/Instagram accounts are being delegated. The mysterious overhaul was due to unsuccessful recovery after a glitch eliminated a bit of data.

There are a few things going on at Planet X that are still in the shadows, some have come to light.

-Planet X has licensed the Tomac brand name and has put in orders for frames to be produced by Saratoga Frameworks (Serrota Cycles). Johnny T will have input.

-Planet X has some other brands in it's sights for 2014
    Geo tweaks on the EG 29? Would one of those happen to be chopping at least 1/2 inch off the chain stays? Please say yes, please say yes.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Geo tweaks on the EG 29? Would one of those happen to be chopping at least 1/2 inch off the chain stays? Please say yes, please say yes.
    The working drawing that I just looked at shows a chainstay length of 428mm (16.85 inchesz) on the EG29. The Rockstar 29 has a chainstay length of 459mm (Just over 18 inches)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If Titus really is interested in releasing a 27.5 bike it would be super easy to just add a bit of chainstay length to the El Guapo and let guys run it with 150/160mm 650b specific forks. The BB is already rediculously low even with a 170mm fork. Sounds like an easier revival of the EG than designing an entire new frame from the ground up.

Plus at $1200 per frame they would sell like crack in a crack house.

mtbr member
    Any word on the target frame weight of the EG29?

Deere Rider

Wink

The working drawing that I just looked at shows a chainstay length of 428mm (16.85 inchesz) on the EG29. The Rockstar 29 has a chainstay length of 459mm (Just over 18 inches)
    Ummmm...ummmm... I'm all flustered after I realized you typed 16.85 and not 17.85! Is that correct? You sure that's not a 26" wheel bike?

Is the EG29 going to have the Enduro 29 Taco mount...or maybe only one speed on the front? Specialized did it on a Horst Link bike so I assume it can be duplicated.

If that number is correct, when can a guy get some eyes on a new geo chart and when do pre-orders start!

I'm still holding back on max enthusiasm as I may still be dreaming but if Titus could do an EG29 with chainstays in the 17" (or under) range, 140mm (or greater) travel, and a Cane Creek Double Barrel with the climbing switch...that thing would fly off the shelves. Thus my previous question...when might pre-orders start?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks mtnwrench. Happy to see the non pinner tires used over there on 45650b

Show us some photos! Interested to see the new full suspension hardware Brant has been tweaking here on these Titus projects and hope they're paced to move forward now..

FSR riders on el Guapo linkage are used to a certain level of enjoyment on our chunky trails and other platforms just don't have the same feel. I'm sure 99.9% of us agree with Brants ideas on CS length.. Now, show us the new yoke!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Por favor

mtbr member
    Indeed, the chainstay is that long, but that's the distance on the drawing from the axle centre to the main pivot.

The full RC (rear centre) dimension is still 460mm.

Sorry short chainstay fans - the EG29 isn't super short.

On-One's Codeine is a 440mm RC dimension, but doesn't support a front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    A shorter CS than the Rockstar would make it great guys! The Rockstar climbs superbly and is very stable. Let's get a shorter CS on the EG, even if it's just a bit! 2 29ers with very similar geometry? I hope not !!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    As a satisfied customer both before and after the Planet X/On One takeover, I would like to steer the discussion back to the original question of "what is up with Titus?" but with a more philosophical approach. Let's talk about the brand.

I think Budgie hit the nail on the head when he said these brands need consolidation. Another way of saying it is that they need their own separate identities. From an American consumer's perspective, I'm not sure what these brands stand for. If I had to guess I would say that Planet X represents quality, budget conscious road products and On-One is about budget conscious, highly versatile and durable mountain products. But what is Titus all about?

I think Titus needs to adopt a strong brand identity, vocalize it, and build its product line around it. As a Titus fan for over 15 years, I have my own opinions of what the brand stands for. To me, they are one of the oldest and most prestigious boutique mountain bike brands still in existence, and above all they are about titanium. However, just because I believe this does't make it true.

So I would like to pose the question to all you Titus fans out there...what does the brand represent to you, and what direction should it go in the future?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Titus to me represents a defunct company raped by On-One
    breezy shade

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by helmach21 View Post
    ...and above all they are about titanium. However, just because I believe this does't make it true.

So I would like to pose the question to all you Titus fans out there...what does the brand represent to you, and what direction should it go in the future?
    I loved my MotoLite, but then I discovered 29" wheels. I just want a ML29 -- The Rockstar is close, but the Rockstar's chainstays are pretty darn long.

But I agree, Titus could (and perhaps should) get back to its Ti roots. The new Fireline is promising. Especially since the brand's reputation took a pretty hard hit with those Light Rail rear triangles, perhaps they could eliminate some of the Planet X/On One overlap and turn Titus back into the specialty product they once were: Titanium frames of impeccable quality.

...and build me a ML29

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by helmach21 View Post
    I think Budgie hit the nail on the head when he said these brands need consolidation. Another way of saying it is that they need their own separate identities. From an American consumer's perspective, I'm not sure what these brands stand for. If I had to guess I would say that Planet X represents quality, budget conscious road products and On-One is about budget conscious, highly versatile and durable mountain products. But what is Titus all about?

I think Titus needs to adopt a strong brand identity, vocalize it, and build its product line around it. As a Titus fan for over 15 years, I have my own opinions of what the brand stands for. To me, they are one of the oldest and most prestigious boutique mountain bike brands still in existence, and above all they are about titanium. However, just because I believe this does't make it true.

Roots from the Supermoto. .

Would like a carefully over engineered FSR rear triangle that fully controls drivetrain torque and braking forces.. and in a non-proprietary, user serviceable 8.5" x 2.5" open format that can take a lickin

Let Specializd and others sell out the disposable bikes
    Last edited by Deerhill; 11-19-2013 at 01:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My 26" Motolite is now 4 years old and I'd like to replace it with a 27.5 or 29 Motolite in the next year. Titus, get back to your roots I say. Never should have abandoned the great name(s) and reputations (ML, Racer X). Look at what other brands have done changing the bike but keeping the name and its intent the same- just updated. Don't want to abandon Titus but Titus apparantly is abandoned me if it doesn't come out with something up-to-date in the next year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

What is up with Titus?

Titus was Chris Cocalis. It is now Pivot. All that is left is a brand name; the people who built the company are all gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    That new Pivot is really something amazing. When I saw the tag for the frame alone it reminded me why I refused to buy the OG Guap

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm new to Titus. Was drawn to it because of price and overall look. Happy to say , the quality is there. I understand this is not a big co. ( 4 people ) smaller than I thought! No matter. I agree with most of the comments on here. Consolidation, BRAND ID, attention to the website, attention to consumer needs! CS is there. I'm truly enjoying the rock star. Great XC/trail bike ( depending on build). Hoping for a great AM EG 29er. I really wish Titus the best, and hope they become BIG once again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast